Isf Level I And Ii Video Calibration Training Coming To Oz In July

For anyone interested, Joel Silver, the founder of the Imaging Science Foundation (ISF) will be delivering ISF video calibration training on the Gold Coast in July, following the CEDIA expo at this stage. The dates are currently Level I on Saturday 13th, followed by Level II on the Sunday and Monday.

PM me if interested and I'll put you in touch with the relevant folk. Alternatively, you can visit avproalliance.com, which is the new combined portal for the HAA and ISF.

Cheers,

Jamie

Edited by jamiet

Would be very interested in this training but am wandering does one need any special equipment to do the calibrations at home on our theatres once qualified?

If so what equipment is needed and what sort of dollars are we looking at to get the job done?

CEDIA going to be back onn the GC or is that just for this year? I would love to do these courses.

@Ian13, yes you do need tools to calibrate HTs. Generally, the guys that do these courses go out and calibrate professionally. I've not done these yet, but I understand you need a good lap top and colorimeter (more than EYE1) to be able to do them. THX also wants to see the reports from no less than 10 systems before you get your certification from them. Sencor is the preferred unit, just it happens to cost about $7K.

The training wont be cheap either, so if you only want to calibrate your own display there are much cheaper options.

For the 3 days, I think the training is about $1800. Video generators can cost in hundreds up to several thousand. The Quantum 780 generator is $3500 or thereabouts and is the one most guys use or want to use - does audio as well. ISF just released some 4K test patterns for that unit. Then you need a colorimeter and/or spectrophotometer and of course the calibration software, normally Calman or Chromapure. The Colorimeters are normally a few hundred but the spectrophotometers can run into the many thousands.

That said, you can pick up Chromapure Pro, an EyeOne Display PRO 3 colorimeter calibrated with a reference Spectrophotometer and an Accupel video generator (excellent unit) all for $2499US + shipping.

Obviously, most people can't afford or at least can't justify the cost, so in their case they either pay someone to calibrate or live without it.

Cheers,

Jamie

Or buy a resonably priced meter, get some free software and learn how to use them. Most people find that more than good enough.

That's also an option. You've just got to make sure the meter is calibrated to be accurate and the source generating the test patterns is accurate.

I'm not trying to sell anyone on a calibrarion - just saying you need to make sure your source and your measurements are both accurate. At the end of the day, let your eyes decide..

Cheers,

Jamie

Thanks Mark, Owen and Jamie for your answers to my query.

Price wise for the training and the equipment it surely is for those who are in the industry and doing the calibrations on a constant basis to justify the outlay.

Or buy a resonably priced meter, get some free software and learn how to use them. Most people find that more than good enough.

I like and am interested in this option, thanks Owen.

Please remember that i know nothing of this area so what type of meter do i need? (is there a specific one or brand) Where can i get one and how much roughly should i be paying for it?

Regarding the software, also what is it called and where to get it?

Anyones help would be much appreciated.

I like and am interested in this option, thanks Owen.

Please remember that i know nothing of this area so what type of meter do i need? (is there a specific one or brand) Where can i get one and how much roughly should i be paying for it?

Regarding the software, also what is it called and where to get it?

Anyones help would be much appreciated.

This prob isn't the thread to answer that question suggest start another thread in this sub forum am sure others will chip in :)