New Channel Replacing 'w': Soho?

Except for the US who have Showtime, Starz and HBO channels

I just cant imagine Showtime being re-branded after almost 18 years narrowcasting movies in Australia

Showtime here is from the Premium Movie Partnership which is a joint venture with Sony Pictures, Viacom, NBC Universal, Liberty Global and News Corp.

If Foxtel get their own deals in place with the movie providers, then I'm not so sure they'd keep the channel name. Would they rather their company name as a branding? FOX Family, FOX Action, FOX Comedy actually stands for a clear brand which would not only resonate with viewers, but give media buyers a clear identity to work with.

Just throwing it out there anyways :)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just cant imagine Showtime being re-branded after almost 18 years narrowcasting movies in Australia

Agree Dan I know what Showtime offers compared to the movie networks offering if they do change will we get hideous water marks which we don't get now!

cheers laurie

Agree Dan I know what Showtime offers compared to the movie networks offering if they do change will we get hideous water marks which we don't get now! cheers laurie
They were first to widescreen and first for 5.1 too

Although for a breif time they had a watermark on their "2" channel... remember?

Edited by DansDans

• 3 weeks later...

What about the Young and The Restless, Ohhhh The Humanity!!!!!!!!!

From mediaspy

http://www.mediaspy.org/forum/index.php?/topic/20535-foxtel/page__view__findpost__p__874380

"Long running US Soap, The Young & Restless will be moving from the soon to be defunct W Channel to Arena starting Monday August 20th and will continue in its 12.00pm timeslot - last episode will air on W on Friday August 17"

Yeah, yeah I know.. it's for the Missus. :no:

"Long running US Soap, The Young & Restless will be moving from the soon to be defunct W Channel to Arena starting Monday August 20th and will continue in its 12.00pm timeslot - last episode will air on W on Friday August 17"

Yeah, yeah I know.. it's for the Missus. :no:

The missus isn't going to like not seeing TY&TR move to an SD only channel.... not that W has been a real HD channel recently anyway given the awful ~4 Mbps bitrate.

Nice to see Foxtel put all their "premium drama" content on one of the lowest bitrate HD channels. I guess that's why they have it in their cheap and nasty basic access subscription tier! Oh well, you can always download the content from the usual sources in superior quality without paying Foxtel a cent.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the list of programs for Soho (what a stupid name) look good.

Sadly I'll see no more of The Young & The Restless because I stopped watching Arena when they introduced their ridiculous watermark (which looks like a speech bubble and often sits over someone's face). Oh I know Y&R is crap, but I liked to keep up by watching once a month or so. Yes, I'll cope without it.

Looks like True Blood & other great shows are starting back to S1 Ep 1. That's OK but sad to see ads and watermarks in quality shows.

Here is my first HUGE concern: the number of ads on some of our pay stations would make chs 7, 9, 10 blush. I will not put up with more than 3 breaks per hour, and each has to be much less than 4 minutes. I'll not accept any ad breaks in new True Blood, or any other Showcase program.

Secondly I am terrified of the watermark Soho may have, "W" is just one letter in the bottom right-hand corner. I can barely tolerate that.

Four letters up top would cut the station from my viewing list completely.

I currently pay over $120 per month to Foxtel (2 rooms, not HD).

The last few weeks I have found much less to watch than usual, (no olympic interest at all) and have been considering value for money.

August 20 will be "Reassment Day".

Shall I stay with Foxtel, or is it time to quit? Things aren't getting better - slippery slopes and all that. Remember when Mad Men had no ad break?

So, as I watch a fair bit of W, I'm looking at any change in Soho in particular re

• Number of ads (if any) and their duration
  • Watermarks

These will be the deciding factors.

$120 every month could buy lots of boxed sets of True Blood, Dexter, Damages, Borgias, Newsroom, etc, all with no ads and no watermarks. Buying and selling again on Ebay would keep prices down.

And then there's the "other means" I keep hearing about!

Apparently free, though I really don't want to steal!

If someone has seen the Soho watermark, please put me out of my misery!

Well, the list of programs for Soho (what a stupid name) look good.

Sadly I'll see no more of The Young & The Restless because I stopped watching Arena when they introduced their ridiculous watermark (which looks like a speech bubble and often sits over someone's face). Oh I know Y&R is crap, but I liked to keep up by watching once a month or so. Yes, I'll cope without it.

Looks like True Blood & other great shows are starting back to S1 Ep 1. That's OK but sad to see ads and watermarks in quality shows.

Here is my first HUGE concern: the number of ads on some of our pay stations would make chs 7, 9, 10 blush. I will not put up with more than 3 breaks per hour, and each has to be much less than 4 minutes. I'll not accept any ad breaks in new True Blood, or any other Showcase program.

Secondly I am terrified of the watermark Soho may have, "W" is just one letter in the bottom right-hand corner. I can barely tolerate that.

Four letters up top would cut the station from my viewing list completely.

I currently pay over $120 per month to Foxtel (2 rooms, not HD).

The last few weeks I have found much less to watch than usual, (no olympic interest at all) and have been considering value for money.

August 20 will be "Reassment Day".

Shall I stay with Foxtel, or is it time to quit? Things aren't getting better - slippery slopes and all that. Remember when Mad Men had no ad break?

So, as I watch a fair bit of W, I'm looking at any change in Soho in particular re

• Number of ads (if any) and their duration
  • Watermarks

These will be the deciding factors.

$120 every month could buy lots of boxed sets of True Blood, Dexter, Damages, Borgias, Newsroom, etc, all with no ads and no watermarks. Buying and selling again on Ebay would keep prices down.

And then there's the "other means" I keep hearing about!

Apparently free, though I really don't want to steal!

If someone has seen the Soho watermark, please put me out of my misery!

Honestly, taping programs and fast forwarding through ads is easy + watermarks never hurt anyone. No big deal...

Honestly, taping programs and fast forwarding through ads is easy + watermarks never hurt anyone. No big deal...

If you say so you must be right...... [there's always one reply like this]

I find it annoying and feel like a fool for paying for the privilege.

Not OK by you?

If you say so you must be right...... [there's always one reply like this]

I find it annoying and feel like a fool for paying for the privilege.

Not OK by you?

Saying you won't watch any shows on a channel because of a watermark is laughable. Considering it takes so little of the screen, should be the quality of the shows you should be worried about.

Saying you won't watch any shows on a channel because of a watermark is laughable. Considering it takes so little of the screen, should be the quality of the shows you should be worried about.

They ARE distracting. With digital broadcasting there is absolutely no need to indicate which channel you're watching. Plus Foxtel are a bunch of wankers for putting their watermarks in the 4:3 safe zone on widescreen channels. Our Australian broadcasters are totally pathetic at sizing and placement of watermarks on our channels compared with overseas when they are forced to by content owners. Oh well, if you don't like watermarks you can always get the same content from unofficial sources as a protest because that way the asshole content owners aren't rewarded for insisting on it.

The way things should be is that if you watch on a free medium (like FTA TV) then you shouldn't complain about watermarks but if you're paying for your TV service then it should all be watermark free.

They ARE distracting.

Not to me, I suspect very few people actually give a stuff otherwise there would of been something done about. And many cable shows in america have watermarks as well such as USA, Showtime, AMC etc. i think HBO is the exception, don't know why that just because you are paying that there shouldn't be any watermarks, simply isn't true.

They ARE distracting. With digital broadcasting there is absolutely no need to indicate which channel you're watching. Plus Foxtel are a bunch of wankers for putting their watermarks in the 4:3 safe zone on widescreen channels.

Foxtel is slowly moving to a system of dynamic watermark placement. Where 16:9 content is showing, the watermark appears to the far right (or left as the case may be). When 4:3 content is showing it's moved to the edge of the 4:3 area. Contrast this with the FTA broadcasters that have a static watermark that is fixed somewhere between the 4:3 position and the 16:9 position, tending towards the 4:3 area.

Of course, there are always the hot pink 100% opaque 'watermarks' that WIN likes. Nothing, I repeat nothing, that appears on Foxtel is anywhere even remotely like that.

Edited by DrP

They ARE distracting. With digital broadcasting there is absolutely no need to indicate which channel you're watching. Plus Foxtel are a bunch of wankers for putting their watermarks in the 4:3 safe zone on widescreen channels. Our Australian broadcasters are totally pathetic at sizing and placement of watermarks on our channels compared with overseas when they are forced to by content owners. Oh well, if you don't like watermarks you can always get the same content from unofficial sources as a protest because that way the asshole content owners aren't rewarded for insisting on it.

The way things should be is that if you watch on a free medium (like FTA TV) then you shouldn't complain about watermarks but if you're paying for your TV service then it should all be watermark free.

Amazing - what is your source of "watermark-free" current content? Please share...

Because, for example, the latest episodes of a show like "Breaking Bad" seem to have AMC HD watermarks on the bottom right corner - I would LOVE to get a watermark free version of that....

PS - I actually dont care. I watch the show, not the watermark, but I am curious about your unofficial watermark free sources where I can get the content same day as the versions with the watermark....

Edited by DansDans

I agree watermarks can be annoying - and I'm not saying it's not worth a complaint.

But no need to worry too much - it's such a small and unimportant thing compared with the quality of the programs you're watching. In turn, the quality of the TV you're watching is so unimportant compared to most other things in life - I just think you're wasting too much time on something that barely matters.

EDIT - and I say this because I get annoyed by things like watermarks too, and I've learnt to get over myself and just ignore what is a tiny problem.

Edited by MattWinter

Episodes tagged 'webdl' are typically watermark free but they obviously take longer to appear in the usual places.

Ya, ze German uploads are more often than not watermark free but they are delayed a little from the USA release/broadcast. Plus of course you can always wait for the Bluray rips to appear that are obviously watermark free.

Because, for example, the latest episodes of a show like "Breaking Bad" seem to have AMC HD watermarks on the bottom right corner - I would LOVE to get a watermark free version of that....

The bluray version of Breaking Bad doesn't have the AMC watermark.

The bluray version of Breaking Bad doesn't have the AMC watermark.

Genius!

I didnt even realise the latest (I'm pretty sure I typed the word latest - ah yes I did, you even quoted it) episodes were already on bluray

and here I was wating every Monday, for the last few weeks, to download what I thought were the latest versions - silly me

On a serious note - DrP I note there are "webdl" versions of Breaking Bad available in both 480p and 720p approx 5-6 days after the broadcast versions are available - thanks for the heads up, and while I am sure I can wait the extra few days for these watermark free versions, as I said these watermarks dont bother me too much

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of watermarks....

SoHo doesnt seem to have one...? Am I right?

Also, a bit LTTP here, but where did FX come from??

FX is at least 3 1/2 months old, Justified is up to episode 13 (Series 2). And yes, there's a watermark on SoHo in the bottom right hand corner, on Newsroom at least. Edited by miata

FX is at least 3 1/2 months old, Justified is up to episode 13 (Series 2). And yes, there's a watermark on SoHo in the bottom right hand corner, on Newsroom at least.

Cheers :)

Must be a small watermark, as I have a clock on the screen all the time in the bottom right corner which blocks out the GEM watermark as well