• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can bet your bottom dollar, that if AVS weren't selling this product, there wouldn't be a single word allowed to be said about it on the forum.

Also, I highly doubt that seeing as AVS ARE selling it, that you'll see any negative comments either...

Maybe see what people have to say over at home theatre shack, or somewhere else that's not as blantantly biased as AVS is...

Cheers,

Chris

Either I am naive or just less cynical than Prior but I think the posts on avsforums have reported both the good and bad on the Darbee and many posts were provided before avs were stocking the darbee. Its costs $US269.00 - and for that price I am happy to experiment.

You may be less cynical than I am, but I'm only reporting on what I've seen happen over there. It's common practice and common knowledge.

Haven't you noticed that the glowing reviews are from AVS gold members?

Anyway, it's kinda beside the point. If you want to grab on and test it out, go for it. I'd be more inclined to trust your review than anything spruiked on AVS...

Cheers,

Chris

You may be less cynical than I am, but I'm only reporting on what I've seen happen over there. It's common practice and common knowledge.

Haven't you noticed that the glowing reviews are from AVS gold members?

Anyway, it's kinda beside the point. If you want to grab on and test it out, go for it. I'd be more inclined to trust your review than anything spruiked on AVS...

Agree about the censorship [opposition cih solutions comes to mind
:no:
] but maybe you havent noticed the other darblet thread Chris where isf calibrators like Jeff Meier etc have given their impressions ;

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1410383/darbee-darblet

Ive got one on the way $311 USD inc shipping + $30aud wire transfer

In the end it cost me $363.37au.. Unfortunately AVS wouldn't accept paypal for first time international buyers or I would of had it A week ago..

Be aware There is an issue/bug with the Darblet not passing YcBcR as it was designed, only outputing RGB at this stage..

Though the Darblet is firmware upgradeable it can only be done in house unfortunately at this stage,

weather or not DarbeeVision will offer this firmware fix inc shipping for international owners is unclear at this stage (doubtful IMO)

so could prove costly if Darbee vision choose not to cover international shipping ..

Before I placed my order I asked DarbeeDr directly on AVS if the Darblet will pass YcBcR 4:2:2

It was stated by DarbeeDr that the Darblet will output the same color space that it receives But later it was found that the Darblet has the above issue

So perhaps Best to hold off until this bug is sorted/fixed in later Darblet producton runs..

Ive got one on the way $311 USD inc shipping + $30aud wire transfer

In the end it cost me $363.37au.. Unfortunately AVS wouldn't accept paypal for first time international buyers or I would of had it A week ago..

Be aware There is an issue/bug with the Darblet not passing YcBcR as it was designed, only outputing RGB at this stage..

Though the Darblet is firmware upgradeable it can only be done in house unfortunately at this stage,

weather or not DarbeeVision will offer this firmware fix inc shipping for international owners is unclear at this stage (doubtful IMO)

so could prove costly if Darbee vision choose not to cover international shipping ..

Before I placed my order I asked DarbeeDr directly on AVS if the Darblet will pass YcBcR 4:2:2

It was stated by DarbeeDr that the Darblet will output the same color space that it receives But later it was found that the Darblet has the above issue

So perhaps Best to hold off until this bug is sorted/fixed in later Darblet producton runs..

I will wait to see if they fix that problem before I make a purchase - will the problem affect your set up Jase?

~

pity. if have their comms in writing I would hold them to paying shipping back on forth given it wont do as claimed ie YcBcR 4:2:2 and something you confirmed with them before purchase.

pity too as was going to suggest if people unsure of this thing. was thinking one way around this we import one as a group. raffle it off to lucky person within the group at some stage, say a forum gtg or something, once group has had a play with it at. could be done. and wouldnt cost much at all per person for a try before you buy.

anyways lets see thing gets resolved.

ok I'll make contact, point them to this thread. see what they say. as you said best they might say is no.

just think its a good way for a lot of people to sample the thing and if it is good indeed as they claim then could lead to a lot of sales so hopefully seen as a win win..

I will wait to see if they fix that problem before I make a purchase - will the problem affect your set up Jase?

Hi Stephen, While im hopefull the Darblet's Plus's including improved MTF will out way the current Color Space & Lumanence bug..

The short answer is Yes RGB is not optimum for people that have external video processors such as all Lumagen Radiance 3D/ DVDOs Duo,Edge &VP series as these vp's internally process in the YcBcr 4:2:2 domain @10+ bit so for optimum performance we need to send 422 from the blu player.. Most Display devices now days internally process in the YcBcR domain so its always best to send the display its native colorspace (this excludes the Pioneer Plasmas they use RGB) so as to avoid unessesary color space convertions & keep the bit depth as high as possible..

Panasonics internally process at 422, JVC Projectors native internal processing is 444 im pretty sure..

Note another downside is anyone who has A YcBcR video chain thats been calibrated, means there video chain will need to be recalibrated if changing to RGB color space when adding a Darblet to insure optimum Picture performance considering...

Link to DarbeeDr talking about the current bugs status

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1399154/darbee-vision-darblet/420

Cheers..

Those people who use a decent Home Theatre PC can perform artefact free MTF boosting plus many other functions like noise reduction, CMS, 64 point RGB gamma correction in YcBcR 444 or RGB via free software, been doing it for 10 years.

Edited by Owen

I am deciding the best approach to getting your group a Darblet to try.

Our policy is to fix firmware issues for free (including shipping) as they are solved and sell firmware upgrades as they emerge.

Some clarifications:

• We process RGB internally, regardless of what is handed to us.
  • We hand back a perfectly inverted color space.
  • We process 444 internally using the HDMI 1.4 spec for color depth, regardless of the color resolution handed to us.
  • Our mC software was designed by experts in HDMI space and we are working with them to determine the cause of the wonky reporting.

FYI, we did ship a unit to someone in New South Wales.

-DarbeeDr

I am deciding the best approach to getting your group a Darblet to try. Our policy is to fix firmware issues for free (including shipping) as they are solved and sell firmware upgrades as they emerge. Some clarifications:
  • We process 444 internally using the HDMI 1.4 spec for color depth, regardless of the color resolution handed to us.
  • Our mC software was designed by experts in HDMI space and we are working with them to determine the cause of the wonky reporting.

FYI, we did ship a unit to someone in New South Wales. -DarbeeDr

How about making the purchase process easier ? It would be much easier if one of your retailers can accept international credit card or paypal payment and shipped the product internationally. Edited by jliang70

Those people who use a decent Home Theatre PC can perform artefact free MTF boosting plus many other functions like noise reduction, CMS, 64 point RGB gamma correction in YcBcR 444 or RGB via free software, been doing it for 10 years.

What free software do you use owen? Is it easy to improve picture quality?

I am deciding the best approach to getting your group a Darblet to try.

Our policy is to fix firmware issues for free (including shipping) as they are solved and sell firmware upgrades as they emerge.

Some clarifications:

FYI, we did ship a unit to someone in New South Wales.

-DarbeeDr

Welcome Larry & Thankyou Darbee Dr for taking the time to post informative info regarding the handling of firmware fixes for international customers, You offer outstanding Support...

This is Great News regarding the Firmware Fixes as my main concern was the cost in shipping but you have put us early adopters at ease..

If I could make A suggestion:

Another possibility You could also offer the end-user to speed up the process would be to offer some type of exchange program similar to what DVDO/Lumagen offer where A Customer whos Darblet requires updating or is defective could purchase A Pre-updated darblet shiped' then send back the old one upon arrival & then upon inspection by Darbee would receive A Credit "so long as it met the Criteria outlined" IE: Darblet must be presented as new in perfect working order (with all original packaging)..

Thanks again DD...

Jase..

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1339405665' post='1812125]

ok I'll make contact, point them to this thread. see what they say. as you said best they might say is no.

just think its a good way for a lot of people to sample the thing and if it is good indeed as they claim then could lead to a lot of sales so hopefully seen as a win win..

Well done Al!

no probs hj, I just sent a pm over on avs, not sure if was me got darbeedr here,

in anycase,

welcome to dtv Darbee Dr,

just as a heads up we have a forum gtg on 15th july

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=107564

might be a good opportunity for forum members attending to have a look see.

ofcourse I would have to check with the get together host whether we would be ok doing so, and ofcourse also dependant on whether you see it as a good idea as well and can get the item to us in time.

one way or the other, good to see your support for the product and wish you well in your endeavours.

:)

What free software do you use owen? Is it easy to improve picture quality?

I use FFDShow as a video decoder and processor and Media Player Classic Home Cinema Edition as the player, both are free.

Improved quality is easy to achieve and pretty much set and forget, although a pretty powerful PC is required for optimal Bluray processing.

So, we have two off topic and unnecessary posts about what might happen before I have even responded. :no:

Htpc-online,

Its not appropriate to go into detail about HTPC issues in this thread, I'll start another as others may be interested in the topic.

As for this Darblet toy, I'm interested in testing it. If it provides tangible benefits I'll buy one.