Magic Pvr Arrived Today

Very strange. Updated to 8.24AU from 8.22AUbeta5. Started getting frequent HDMI handshake problems (have never had these before) . Downgraded back to 8.22AUbeta5 and all is fine.

Has anyone else encountered this?

UPDATE:  Re-downloaded 8.24 and installed it.  All seems OK now so must have been some corruption in the first download.

Edited by robbo69

Some users have reported that if they removed the system HDD, they cannot record to USB HDD.  To solve this limitation, I've generated two firmware.

MTV4000 Firmware 8.25 (2017-9-29):

Normal firmware:
http://www.magictv.com/au/downloads/mtv4000_8_25AU.zip

Firmware for users who disconnected system HDD ("nohdd" firmware):
http://www.magictv.com/au/downloads/mtv4000_8_25AUnohdd.zip

The "nohdd" firmware will work equally as well on units with system HDD and without system HDD.  However,

changing from normal firmware to "nohdd" will cause the loss of the To-Do List schedules. The reason is that the normal firmware stores the To-Do List in the system HDD – if it is absent no recording can be done. The "nohdd" firmware stores it in flash and no longer requires the presence of system HDD for recording to USB HDD.

Edited by wklie
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Recently upgraded to 8.24 online but Magic refused to accept 2key channel selection eg 21 would only display 2 on screen & took me to 2(ABC)

Didn't matter which remote I used.

So I've downloaded 8.25, extracted & copied to empty USB.

Disconnected ethernet, insert USB & upgraded via USB successfully.

However the problem persists. Any ideas?

On 11/13/2017 at 4:22 PM, wklie said:

According to old news in 2014, Freeview MHEG EPG will cease operating from Nov 24, 2017. Any user here still running MTV3700 firmware (not switched to MTV4000) firmware?

Let's see what happens today.

On 11/23/2017 at 10:15 AM, FynrDzynr said:

Thanks very much!

Will we ever see another Pixel Magic PVR in Australia?

I would certainly look at buying one based on the support provided by @wklie and the remarkable value of my Magic TV box (it didn't cost much at the time and is still going pretty strong after 6+ years ! )

• Like 1

I would certainly look at buying one based on the support provided by [mention=156800]wklie[/mention] and the remarkable value of my Magic TV box (it didn't cost much at the time and is still going pretty strong after 6+ years ! )
It is far and away the best Consumer Electronics product I have ever purchased since I started buying things in the early 70's. Superbly intuitive to use and reliable.
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have just been getting the first glitches in my Magic that seem to suggest the beginning of the end.

The first indication was when I was recording two programs at once (SBS News and NBN Newcastle News). The TV was displaying NBN OK but I got a blank screen when switching over to SBS. Since it was quite windy that day, I put it down to an aerial problem. I checked the separate TV reception and SBS was coming in fine - the same for my recently purchased backup device (Beyonwiz T2). I stopped the recording for SBS and found that there was no reception on the Magic for all other channels. I stopped the NBN recording and restarted the Magic. I was then able to get all of the channels to display.

The second indicator was when I found my Magic device still turned on from the night before. My usual routine is to set it to turn off once it completes recording. While I put it down to user error, I was 99.9% sure that it was not my doing. :P

The third time was yesterday when I turned the Magic on and changing channels seem to get stuck/frozen before the Magic finally restarted. It was fine after that.

The last time was this morning. Changing menu screens would take forever and changing channels would be delayed. When playing back a recording, the action would freeze for about 5 seconds and then fast forward as if it were "catching up" to where it should be. I did a couple of manual restarts but it only seemed to correct itself after about the fifth one.

I had to buy a replacement power supply about a year ago. I had not had any problems of any sort until about two weeks ago.

Would this behaviour suggest that its capacitors are failing? I haven't opened it up yet to find out but I did do a capacitor replacement on an old Topfield unit many years ago when it developed faults.

Has anyone had any similar issues that could suggest possible remedies?

(I am just glad that I bought the Beyonwiz recently on a whim when they had them on sale).

I had exactly the same sort of issues with one of my Magic's a few months ago.

Tested the power supply under load and it was still putting out 12 volts so ruled that out.

Did a factory reset but it still ended up going troppo again.

After that I got to thinking it must be stuffed and on it's way out.

Then I remembered that I had updated the firmware on this one, but not the other, due to being interrupted and not getting back to doing the second one.

The one still working ok had firmware 8-22 beta5 on it. So I re-installed that on my misbehaving Magic to see if it made any difference. It has been performing fine ever since :).

If you have one of the firmware updates later than 8-22 beta5 installed on your Magic, I reckon re-installing 8-22 beta5 and running your Magic on that might be worth a try.

I just went back through this thread looking for the download link for 8.22b5 and came across another user's comment which sounded identical to mine. wklie's response to this mentioned the use of the Network HDD option. I must be getting old because I completely forgot that I had played around with this very option just recently. :ohmy:

I have just turned it off in the hope that it fixes my issues. Otherwise I will roll back the firmware.

On 1/20/2018 at 2:32 PM, 21C said:

when I turned the Magic on and changing channels seem to get stuck/frozen before the Magic finally restarted. It was fine after that.

The last time was this morning. Changing menu screens would take forever and changing channels would be delayed. When playing back a recording, the action would freeze for about 5 seconds and then fast forward as if it were "catching up" to where it should be.

If you have left Timeshift enabled by default, it sounds like the system HDD has bad sectors and/or is dying.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if I should post the directions here since wklie was a little cagey about giving explicit instructions.

I will not disclose how to access the Magic TV network server from PC. Those interested in it may google "Magic TV NFS mount" and use google translate.

TBH I wouldn't recommend it myself for MagicTV <-> Win10 since this caused the glitchiness that I outlined earlier. It may be fine if you running two MagicTV devices. In Win10, I could see the files but they did not have logical names like "My Kitchen Rules" but were a series of coded names - I can't remember the exact format.

If you want the specific instructions then you can PM me since I think I saved them in a text file on my home computer.