Magic Pvr Arrived Today

See if you can improve the cabling or socket of the antenna, and/or try some attenuators (may decrease both signal and noise, if the signal is amplified before), or a signal amplifier.

The problem is ONLY with the 7 Network, so I doubt the cabling or antenna socket is the cause - otherwise I'd have no channels. The nearby Morwell coal mine fire is still still burning, so I'll wait until that is put out before attempting anything more. Thanks anyway wklie.

The problem is ONLY with the 7 Network, so I doubt the cabling or antenna socket is the cause - otherwise I'd have no channels.

Every channel (multiplex) one receives has a different signal strength/quality, therefore the success rate of decoding them can behave differently. When it goes through the signal distribution, signal is decreased and noise is added. When the signal drops below a device-specific threshold, or the noise is too much, that channel cannot be decoded.

I'm not saying the cabling or the antenna socket is the cause. However, other than adjusting the antenna, improving these may help.

Every channel (multiplex) one receives has a different signal strength/quality, therefore the success rate of decoding them can behave differently. When it goes through the signal distribution, signal is decreased and noise is added. When the signal drops below a device-specific threshold, or the noise is too much, that channel cannot be decoded.

I'm not saying the cabling or the antenna socket is the cause. However, other than adjusting the antenna, improving these may help.

An almost full-page ad appeared in last nights local paper advising all residents of my town and others nearby to retune on 25th March. I'll wait until then to see if there's any improvement. My feed is from a 50 metre high community antenna which I cannot adjust.

An almost full-page ad appeared in last nights local paper advising all residents of my town and others nearby to retune on 25th March. I'll wait until then to see if there's any improvement. My feed is from a 50 metre high community antenna which I cannot adjust.

Seems there will be a lot of re-arranging of broadcast frequencies around Australia now all analog broadcasts have ceased. We also have to re-tune in a couple of weeks here in Northern Tasmania. In the black spot here Southern Cross gives the worst reception but that could well change once frequencies are different.

• 2 weeks later...

Compatibility Notice for Seagate Expansion Desktop USB HDD

It is NOT recommended to use Seagate Expansion Desktop USB 3.0 HDD with Magic TV. MTV3700 / MTV4000 may not be able to use its full capacity in native Linux ext2 format.

If you already have one and cannot format it by Magic TV, or Magic TV does not see its full capacity, a workaround is to use NTFS format by Windows. However, this workaround is not extensively tested.

Edited by wklie

• 2 weeks later...

My Magic has been networked via Cat5 but I decided to free up a port on the router.

Plugged in the Magic WiFi dongle . . . not recognised! (even though it worked about 18 months ago)

Tried 2 different TP-Link dongles . . . no go in either USB port.

Yet all 3 are recognised (& drivers installed) on my Win7 x64 machine.

Any suggestions? I'm sure it worked PnP originally

Firmware 6.06AU

My Magic has been networked via Cat5 but I decided to free up a port on the router.

Plugged in the Magic WiFi dongle . . . not recognised! (even though it worked about 18 months ago)

With the Magic TV WiFi dongle plugged in, Settings -> System -> Reboot.

If it does not help, try a factory reset.

Try both USB ports.

No need to try the TP-Link dongles.

No joy. Settings -> System -> Reboot option doesn't exist - only Restart. At one stage I was running a beta firmware, dunno if that could have something to do with it.

So I did a Factory reset but still it gives the error "No Wireless Network! " when I go SYSTEM - NETWORK - WIRELESS NETWORK.

SSID on the Fritz 7390 is set to be visible. Green light on the dongle gives a single flash, then flashes again about 5 seconds later then about 1.5 seconds after that about 7 or 8 rapid flashes in quick succession. Repeat Ad Infinitum.

My original remote has become a bit finicky so I have been using a Logitech universal remote however I do not find it as intuitive. I am having trouble finding a replacement for the original.

Any clue on where I could get one?

BTW I bought my MTV4000 from CrazyStu but they seem to have disappeared up their own wormhole

So I did a Factory reset but still it gives the error "No Wireless Network! " when I go SYSTEM - NETWORK - WIRELESS NETWORK.

This means the Magic TV sees the WiFi dongle and is using it, but the WiFi dongle does not find any wireless network. Try a USB extension cable, such that the WiFi dongle is positioned in a direct line of sight (if possible) with the WiFi AP/router.

If the Magic TV cannot communicate with the WiFi dongle (due to hardware fault or USB instability), it will show "No WiFi adapter!" instead.

This means the Magic TV sees the WiFi dongle and is using it, but the WiFi dongle does not find any wireless network. Try a USB extension cable, such that the WiFi dongle is positioned in a direct line of sight (if possible) with the WiFi AP/router.

If the Magic TV cannot communicate with the WiFi dongle (due to hardware fault or USB instability), it will show "No WiFi adapter!" instead.

Yes, that's what's reported when I try to use the TP-Links.

Magic dongle on the end of a 1m extension cable to reach a point at which iPhone gets 2 bars out of 3 - just over 4m direct line of sight to antennae of AP - but it still reports "No Wireless Network"

Plugged into the rear of the Magic, signal has to go through a stud wall sheeted with masonite both sides and a glass sliding door. Does this mean the Magic dongle has lost it's magic?

Does this mean the Magic dongle has lost it's magic?

Please make sure your WiFi AP/router is set to accept 2.4GHz (instead of 5GHz only), and accept both 802.11g and 802.11n.

I bought one of these for my mum 2 years ago because the interface seemed nice and simple for her to use.

Got a phone call from her yesterday saying that the unit has stopped responding to the remote. She's tried turning it off at the power button at the back and changed batteries to a brand new set and still get no response from any button presses on the remote.

Before I spend $75 for a new remote for her from dealspace I thought it might be worth trying one of my xbox360 universal remotes that I have laying around.

My question is does anyone know if I need a working MTV remote to enable the xbox360 compatibility or should it just work? In the manual it seems to indicate that you need to setup something in the settings menu to enable it to receive an x360 remote signal?

You need to change a setting for the remote codes in the MENU. There are 3 remote code sets the Magic will respond to although my experience with the two alternatives has been that the original remote is to be preferred.

John

Got a phone call from her yesterday saying that the unit has stopped responding to the remote.

There is a slight possibility that a failing HDD can cause this. To rule out this possibility, power cycle the Magic TV using the rear power switch. Upon seeing TV video, immediately press some remote buttons to see if it's responsive or not - you have less than 30 seconds to check this, before timeshift buffering (that writes to HDD) kicks in.

If there's a WiFi router, connect the Magic TV to it via a network cable and use the free Android / iOS Magic TV remote app to control it.

The XBox 360 remote compatibility needs to be enabled using a Magic TV remote or the app.

Edited by wklie

Please make sure your WiFi AP/router is set to accept 2.4GHz (instead of 5GHz only), and accept both 802.11g and 802.11n.

Yes, checked all that.

Using an old Billion 7402-VGM, I setup another AP less than 2m from the dongle in the same room. Laptop detects this AP 5metres away with 2 walls in between but still no networks detected by the Magic dongle.

Looks like I'll revert to ethernet & dig out an old 10/100 switch.

Edited by FynrDzynr

ok thanks guys.. thats what i thought with regard to needing the MagicTV remote to enable the x360 remote..

will give her a call tonight and get her to do the HDD test wklie.. thanks for the suggestion..

looks like ill be picking up a new remote from dealspace though.. damn expensive bloody things..

will give her a call tonight and get her to do the HDD test wklie.. thanks for the suggestion..

I'd like to add that there is an alternative easier way to check whether HDD failure causes the unit to not respond to remote control.

Power off the Magic TV using the rear power switch. Unplug the antenna from Magic TV, then power it on. Naturally "No Signal" error instead of TV will be shown, but if the remote works now, the HDD is dead.

Edited by wklie

Anyone know if Dealspace are still operating? I ended up purchasing one of the remotes from their site the other night but the order has been sitting at processing since then. Their online chat hasnt been online since and their facebook hasnt had any posts to it for nearly 12 months. I havent had a chance to give them a call as ive been flat out at work.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know if Dealspace are still operating? I ended up purchasing one of the remotes from their site the other night but the order has been sitting at processing since then. Their online chat hasnt been online since and their facebook hasnt had any posts to it for nearly 12 months. I havent had a chance to give them a call as ive been flat out at work.

Did you get it sorted?

Yeah I did. Forgot to come back here to update. Took a few days longer and the remote was posted. They sent it to my billing address instead of the postage address though so it came to my place instead of my mums. Cost me another $13 to express post it to her. The new remote fixed her problem though.

First thing I got her to do was enable the x360 remote compatability so that if this remote dies I can give her one of my spare x360 remotes.

• 1 month later...