Super Mustud

Trimax Monoblocks

57 posts in this topic

They look like a pair that my uncle built many years ago using huge Trimax transformers which was ultimately thrown in the bin (!!!!!) before I was into this kind of stuff, unfortunately...   Oh, the shame....

Here's a pic of my single Centre Industries monitor amp (well, the front panel, anyway!)

13047870_10156805241945282_3034374291389

Are these the broadcast monitor style mentioned above, or different?

They are the Type 54 broadcast studio monitor amps  

They are the Type 54 broadcast studio monitor amps  

They look good, Beeman.

I sent you a message via the PM service here.

Hi EvLoutonian - message received & replied. The main characteristic I find with these amps is the amount of power they produce. Much higher than the stated 18wpc I guess it has to do with the huge iron they posses. 

Hi all, i have a set of A54 Trimax amps and restoring them but they dont match up to any of the schematics ive found all the A54 and A54A diagrams are completly different to my amps like R1 is a resister but in the parts list and diagram its a 20k pot? there is a 56uf electro and it doesnt exsist on the diagram or parts list? 

20170112_160358.jpg

20170112_160410.jpg

Toby, It's unlikely to be too different in the main part of the amp, and quite likely to be related to a different input source, or someone's idea of 'an improvement'.

If you mark up the schematic, showing the differences then it should be relatively easy to work through what is happening.  Perhaps if you don't work from the component labels on the tag board, and just work from a schematic - as the tag board labels are obviously not correct.

Given its age, you would be well served to do a thorough restoration and to add some protection parts in, if you have done that before?

Ciao, Tim

Edited by trobbins
1 person likes this