Trimax Monoblocks

Hi EvLoutonian - message received & replied. The main characteristic I find with these amps is the amount of power they produce. Much higher than the stated 18wpc I guess it has to do with the huge iron they posses. 

• 8 months later...

Hi all, i have a set of A54 Trimax amps and restoring them but they dont match up to any of the schematics ive found all the A54 and A54A diagrams are completly different to my amps like R1 is a resister but in the parts list and diagram its a 20k pot? there is a 56uf electro and it doesnt exsist on the diagram or parts list? 

20170112_160358.jpg

20170112_160410.jpg

Toby, It's unlikely to be too different in the main part of the amp, and quite likely to be related to a different input source, or someone's idea of 'an improvement'.

If you mark up the schematic, showing the differences then it should be relatively easy to work through what is happening.  Perhaps if you don't work from the component labels on the tag board, and just work from a schematic - as the tag board labels are obviously not correct.

Given its age, you would be well served to do a thorough restoration and to add some protection parts in, if you have done that before?

Ciao, Tim

Edited by trobbins
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...

A revival for this old thread and my Trimax Type 3s. I have the A54B variant, seemingly the last iteration (circuit diagram below -- I'm not sure if this is online anywhere else so I hope it helps somebody).

These amps have been sitting idle for a while and I'm just going through them with some fresh parts. First one is basically done and it has heaps of power and sounds great, just as it used to but a bit quieter. Now onto the second. I'm very proud to own a small piece of Melbourne-made audio history.

Timax-full.thumb.gif.522938059d3e4b2ddf42389aa90f00db.gif

34 minutes ago, RCAJack said:

A revival for this old thread and my Trimax Type 3s. I have the A54B variant, seemingly the last iteration (circuit diagram below -- I'm not sure if this is online anywhere else so I hope it helps somebody).

These amps have been sitting idle for a while and I'm just going through them with some fresh parts. First one is basically done and it has heaps of power and sounds great, just as it used to but a bit quieter. Now onto the second. I'm very proud to own a small piece of Melbourne-made audio history.

Timax-full.thumb.gif.522938059d3e4b2ddf42389aa90f00db.gif

You are in for a treat when you have a pair up and running.With the right speakers they have a huge room filling soundstage.No other amps I have used have quite that big holographic sound.Not just depth and width but height too.

Edited by THOMO
  • Like 1

That's an interesting schematic.  Trimax obviously put effort in to LF and HF stability, so it would be interesting to see how stable the margins ended up as.  And even for 1962, the power supply CLC uses quite low levels of C, and a secondary winding snubber, so it would interesting to see how the 400V rated C10 survived.  I've found a few OA211's that shows PIV leakage, indicating that vintage of diode should be considered suspect and needs to be tested for 1kV leakage.

• Like 1