IviewHD   
On 09/09/2017 at 4:50 PM, Satanica said:

Seemingly once again there's no reason for you to spend any money and replace your plasma with an OLED.

There was plenty of reasons for me.I wanted to view 4K content for a start and it had to be a panel where the blacks didn't glow in the dark.I got a lot of extra benefits i wasn't expecting when i got it home that makes it easily the most satisfied i've ever been with a TV purchase.Only glitch i have found with the LG is with sports motion on a foxtel 1080i feed.I've had the same issues with every Samsung TV i've ever had and it can be fixed by changing the foxtel output to 720P.I have always found Sony to have better motion handling with foxtel 1080i but interlaced content will only be view on rare occasions on my display so it's not a big issue for me.

Satanica   
1 hour ago, IviewHD said:

There was plenty of reasons for me.I wanted to view 4K content for a start and it had to be a panel where the blacks didn't glow in the dark.I got a lot of extra benefits i wasn't expecting when i got it home that makes it easily the most satisfied i've ever been with a TV purchase.Only glitch i have found with the LG is with sports motion on a foxtel 1080i feed.I've had the same issues with every Samsung TV i've ever had and it can be fixed by changing the foxtel output to 720P.I have always found Sony to have better motion handling with foxtel 1080i but interlaced content will only be view on rare occasions on my display so it's not a big issue for me.

I presume your Foxtel box can't output at 1080p.

I have an IQ3 which can output at 1080p and 1080i. I actually have it set to 1080i because I find the up-scaling in the LG better than the IQ3. I have Tru-Motion on with De-Judder at 5 and De-Blur at 10.

IviewHD   
15 minutes ago, Satanica said:

I presume your Foxtel box can't output at 1080p.

I have an IQ3 which can output at 1080p and 1080i. I actually have it set to 1080i because I find the up-scaling in the LG better than the IQ3. I have Tru-Motion on with De-Judder at 5 and De-Blur at 10.

No 1080P setting on my box.I haven't played round with true motion yet.

Satanica   
36 minutes ago, IviewHD said:

No 1080P setting on my box.I haven't played round with true motion yet.

I have a 6 series LG and am pretty sure you have a 7 series.

Tru-Motion makes a big difference and a big improvement IMO.

I use De-Blur because it does just that, very noticeable improvement for camera pans.

I use De-Judder for when the image changes substantially and De-Blur creates judder.

duke   
21 hours ago, MELso said:

It's called 'pixel refresh' on LGs

On my Sony it's called pixel shift.

MLXXX   
1 hour ago, duke said:

On my Sony it's called pixel shift.

The wording below is from a Sony webpage. It distinguishes between pixel shift which sounds like an ongoing process while you're watching the screen of alternating between nearby pixels to share the stress on individual subpixels for bright sections of the picture (a process that was commonly used  with plasma panels to mitigate against temporary image retention or permanent burn-in, in conjunction with Automatic Brightness Limiting), and pixel refresh, an intensive manually activated process that interferes with normal screen viewing while it is in operation.

From http://helpguide.sony.net/tv/ega3/v1/en-142/07-01_05.html :-

[Expert panel settings](only models equipped with an OLED panel)

These options are available for models equipped with an OLED panel and are used to prevent image retention.

If the same image is displayed repeatedly or for long periods of time, image retention may occur.
The TV has two functions, [Pixel shift] and [Panel refresh], that are designed to reduce image retention.

Press the HOME button, then select [Settings] — [Display] — [Expert panel settings] — the desired option.

Available options

[Pixel shift]
Moves the displayed image at regular intervals to prevent image retention. Under normal circumstances, use the TV with this option enabled.
[Panel refresh]
Manually perform a panel refresh only when image retention is particularly noticeable.

Note

• Perform panel refresh only when image retention is particularly noticeable. As a reference, perform it only once a year. Avoid performing it more than once a year because it may affect the usable life of the panel.
  • Panel refresh takes about one hour to complete. A white line may be displayed on the screen during the panel refresh. This is not a malfunction of the TV.
  • Perform adjustments when the room temperature is between 10°C and 40°C . If the room temperature is outside this range, the panel refresh may not complete.

Edited by MLXXX

:) al   
22 hours ago, MELso said:

OLEDs have a feature that no-one except LG's engineers seems to know how it works. It's called 'pixel refresh' on LGs (it used to be 'clear panel noise') and 'panel maintenance' on my Panasonic. They basically are designed to reduce the risk of burn in, but have the neat side effect of reducing the banding and vignetting on OLED panels. There are two cycles: one that runs after 4 hours of viewing automatically for 8-10 minutes, and one that is manually engaged and should be run for 60-80 minutes after 2000 hours. On my Panasonic, the light on the front turns orange when it's running.

At any rate, it's why you shouldn't be sending back OLEDs straight away if you notice problems but should rather wait them out to see if the panel gets cleaned up over the course of a few cycles...

Melso, am amazed what needs to happen wiht oled to prevent no doubt burn in / image retention.

I kid you not on my pio kuro. last gen. all the sh!t I hear about burn in on plasmas and what not. all I ever did was dial in brightness contrast and color settings so away from shop settings to something akin a good picture and took it easy first 200 hours. i.e.  to be careful not stuck on a screen, paused images or watching stuff with watermarks all day.

but after than and gee probably coming upto 10 years now ? but I really dont bother about burn in or image retenion  and never ever seen hint of it. daughter can watch all day stuff with water marks. sport all day. daughter has left tv paused on something for extended periods. we have done gaming on it , with car racing for instance with a static dash board. and no nothing no burn in image retention nothing. not even a hint !

i am not sure and not aware of what the pio kuro might do for burn in image retention protection. but I am a bit blown away the OLEDs of today have to go to such ! lengths !!! kinda scary actually. tells me oled is lot more susceptible ??

MLXXX   
14 minutes ago, :) al said:

i am not sure and not aware of what the pio kuro might do for burn in image retention protection. but I am a bit blown away the OLEDs of today have to go to such ! lengths !!! kinda scary actually. tells me oled is lot more susceptible ??

No more susceptible than plasma panels probably, which indeed used Automatic Brightness Limiting, and pixel rotation.  The difficulty I guess is that today the expectation of HDR is forcing manufacturers to design panels to be capable of being driven to particularly high brightness levels, which means that protective measures would need to be particularly effective.

Satanica   
26 minutes ago, :) al said:

No I don't think so, although by your tone it sounds like you're looking/hoping for faults in OLED.

I think it's somewhat a case of today's OLED TV's being much smarter than TV's of 10 years ago.

So why not do a bit of maintenance every night? Doesn't really hurt right?

I've never even seen retention let alone burn-in my 6th generation LG and I run Foxtel sports for hours.

My last generation plasma TV on the hand, well that's a completely different story. :lol:

Edited by Satanica

:) al   
8 minutes ago, MLXXX said:

No more susceptible than plasma panels probably, which indeed used Automatic Brightness Limiting, and pixel rotation.  The difficulty I guess is that today the expectation of HDR is forcing manufacturers to design panels to be capable of being driven to particularly high brightness levels, which means that protective measures would need to be particularly effective.

good point, I suspect thats the case :)  indeed current panels have greater brightness requirements with HDR :) and yes I suspect quite a few measures in plasmas. certainly my last kuro was probably at the cutting edge in that regard.

so does that mean OLED is just as susceptible ? or more. with HDR I suppose more is the possibility. though i suspect wiht just every day tV and such it should be no different ?  this is presuming ofcourse oleds are calibrated for both r709 and HDR separately :)

Satanica   

Plasmas seem to vary wildly from make and model and perhaps even each individual set regarding image retention and burn in.

OLED seem far more robust especially models from the last couple of years. A smart feature of my LG is that it limits brightness considerably if it detects a completely static image, like the desktop background of a computer for about 5-10 minutes. 

Edited by Satanica

IviewHD   
1 hour ago, :) al said:

Melso, am amazed what needs to happen wiht oled to prevent no doubt burn in / image retention.

I kid you not on my pio kuro. last gen. all the sh!t I hear about burn in on plasmas and what not. all I ever did was dial in brightness contrast and color settings so away from shop settings to something akin a good picture and took it easy first 200 hours. i.e.  to be careful not stuck on a screen, paused images or watching stuff with watermarks all day.

but after than and gee probably coming upto 10 years now ? but I really dont bother about burn in or image retenion  and never ever seen hint of it. daughter can watch all day stuff with water marks. sport all day. daughter has left tv paused on something for extended periods. we have done gaming on it , with car racing for instance with a static dash board. and no nothing no burn in image retention nothing. not even a hint !

The 2017 Oled's have a peak brightness around 700 nits which is way brighter than any plasma could reach.It makes only common sense to build in precautions to make sure a static could never be left running on the screen with the pixels running at that sort of peak level.When viewing normal content at a sensible brightness level i don't think Oled owners need to be to fearful of image retention.

Satanica   
16 minutes ago, IviewHD said:

The 2017 Oled's have a peak brightness around 700 nits which is way brighter than any plasma could reach.It makes only common sense to build in precautions to make sure a static could never be left running on the screen with the pixels running at that sort of peak level.When viewing normal content at a sensible brightness level i don't think Oled owners need to be to fearful of image retention.

Even the 2016 models have between 700 and 750.

Speaking of which my 2016 LG updated it's software from version 4 point something to 5 point something last night. I'm not really sure what has changed.

IviewHD   
3 minutes ago, Satanica said:

Speaking of which my 2016 LG updated it's software from version 4 point something to 5 point something last night. I'm not really sure what has changed.

Looks like the 2017 models are getting technicolor via firmware soon http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1505113038

8 hours ago, Satanica said:

After checking the website it was minor changes it seems. 

1. Improvement  

1) Added notification pop up for when app is no longer supported 

2) Change in background image of no signal screen 

3) Change in Amazon HDR mode  

1) is interesting, pretty early to be losing support for apps, I wonder what 3) is about? We already had Dolby Vision, new version of DV maybe. 

cwt   
49 minutes ago, m0usju1c3 said:

3) Change in Amazon HDR mode  

I wonder what 3) is about? We already had Dolby Vision, new version of DV maybe. 

Fascinating mate :winky: ; and just after amazon had news about HDR10 + adoption...

https://sammyhub.com/2017/04/20/samsung-amazon-hdr10-plus/

Would be nice to cover ALL the HDR formats ? What does everyone think ?

IviewHD   

I downloaded my first HDR test clip yesterday and i'm not sure i'm sold on it.Sure it's good eye candy in an exaggerated hyper reality kind of way but once the novelty wears off i'm pretty sure it would be fatiguing on the eyes to watch.Maybe that sort of hyper reality does have a place in an escapist movie like "Mad Max fury road" but SDR 4K content is what really excites me.A clip of DFL Supercup 2014 Borussia Dortmund vs Bayern München is mind blowing.No sports motion issues here like a crappy feed from foxtel,just pure poetry in motion.

Dokken   

I updated to firmware 05.30.03 on my B6. It now appears HDR HLG has been added even though it isn't mentioned in the notes on the LG website. I downloaded an LG HDR HLG demo clip off the internet (4K Media) and it now recognises it!

Gbickle   

Iphone X's much hyped new Oled screen comes with Dolby Vision support. (also Apple TV).  Another big player behind DV bodes well for the future. 

Edited by Gbickle

Satanica   
3 hours ago, IviewHD said:

No sports motion issues here like a crappy feed from foxtel,just pure poetry in motion.

I have to repeat, I don't know what you're talking about. Foxtel Sport out of an IQ3 at 1080i into my LG OLED65B6T with TruMotion is just spectacular, motion and all.

IviewHD   
17 minutes ago, Satanica said:

I have to repeat, I don't know what you're talking about. Foxtel Sport out of an IQ3 at 1080i into my LG OLED65B6T with TruMotion is just spectacular, motion and all.

My default setting is to have all picture processing turned off as the majority of the content i'll be watching would be degraded by any form of processing.I set my foxtel box to passthrough so it's 1080I for foxtel sports and native 720P for ESPN.Looking at the Chargers v Broncos game from yesterday on ESPN i would not call it spectacular, maybe just a little lacking in refinement in general.Yes it's still way ahead of FTA sport which is just plain nasty and i find unwatchable but nothing to get carried away with.

Satanica   
1 hour ago, IviewHD said:

My default setting is to have all picture processing turned off as the majority of the content i'll be watching would be degraded by any form of processing.I set my foxtel box to passthrough so it's 1080I for foxtel sports and native 720P for ESPN.Looking at the Chargers v Broncos game from yesterday on ESPN i would not call it spectacular, maybe just a little lacking in refinement in general.Yes it's still way ahead of FTA sport which is just plain nasty and i find unwatchable but nothing to get carried away with.

So you're saying Foxtel 1080i it looks good other than you have motion/judder issues?

IviewHD   
1 hour ago, Satanica said:

So you're saying Foxtel 1080i it looks good other than you have motion/judder issues?

"Good" would be a fair call.

Satanica   
40 minutes ago, IviewHD said:

"Good" would be a fair call.

And the motion/judder issues?