Ces 2011 - Star Wars Blu-ray Announcement

Why does the cynic in me expect the announcement to a release geared around maximum profit to Lucas rather than delighting fans (which in itself would produce substantial profits).

Let's hazard a guess at a schedule like:

3 prequels released initially

Later, a boxset of all six in 2D

Then a boxset of all six in 3D

That still leaves the option of later releases of original theatrical versions in 2D and 3D.

And you never know, maybe individual releases in a decade or so...

Why does the cynic in me expect the announcement to a release geared around maximum profit to Lucas rather than delighting fans (which in itself would produce substantial profits).

Let's hazard a guess at a schedule like:

3 prequels released initially

Later, a boxset of all six in 2D

Then a boxset of all six in 3D

That still leaves the option of later releases of original theatrical versions in 2D and 3D.

And you never know, maybe individual releases in a decade or so...

Yep, that's cynical. But probably pretty accurate. I couldn't care less about the prequels, but I'll gladly buy the original three. I'll bet it's not an option though.

Lucas has steadfastly maintained that the original Trilogy is dead to him, so I wouldn't expect them to be released in the best possible way, if at all: you just have to look at the letterbox version reluctantly released to DVD, when it could have been anamorphic.

My guess is that the initial release will include the SE and we will be lucky to see the original Trilogy, in a few years, bitrate starved.

Edited by IanD

seeing that PANASONIC is mentioned in the 'story' - I wouldn't be holding out much hope for a general release.

It's all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ - getting consumers to fork out dollars for various pieces of equipment - certain brands - deals - and then a general release down the track.

In any case, I fear that the Star Wars holy grail will not move consumers over to Blu-ray (if that is the dream of Fox and Panasonic) will over inflated retail prices.

Added - I thought that Lucas wouldn't be in a real rush to release them - once they're out, there won't be another release (double dip) : i think we've all grown cynical of Fox (how many times has the Star Wars and Alien Trilogy been released in the various formats ???)

Modifications to "Star Wars - A New Hope" - Blade

BEN: I have something here for you. Your father wanted you to have

this when you were old enough, but your uncle wouldn't allow it. He

feared you might follow old Obi-Wan on some damned-fool idealistic

Bluray Collection like your father did.

Ben hands Luke the Bluray Boxset of the original Trilogy.

LUKE: What is it?

BEN: Your fathers Bluray Boxset of Star Wars:The Original Trilogy. This is the demo material of a HT Addict. Not

as clumsy or as random as a Disney Blockbuster.

Luke pushes open the flap on the box. A cheaply printed slip of paper

saying "Sucker" signed "George Lucas" slips out onto the floor.

BEN: A diversionary boxset for a more gullible time. For over a thousand

generations Skywalker Ranch were the guardians of peace and justice

in the entertainment industry. Before the dark times, before double dipping became common place.

LUKE: How did George Lucas lose his reputation?

BEN: A company named 20th Century Fox, who were pupils of mine until they

turned to evil, helped Hollywood hunt down and destroy Lucas's reputation. They forced him to alter his original work beyond all recognition and focus on profit only. Now copies of the original Trilogy on VHS/Laserdisk are all but extinct. Lucas was seduced by the dark side of consumerism

LUKE: Consumerism?

BEN: Well, consumerism is what gives 20th Century Fox it's power. It's an energy

field created by all CEO's and executives. It surrounds us and penetrates us.

It binds the galaxy together.

:winky:

Blade

Edited by BladeRnR

Hmm, an exclusive that's 2D? I doubt it.... but you never know.

I'm guessing Panasonic will indeed have the exclusivity but it will be a redeemable bonus with most of their TV's, not just the 3D ones.

George probably liked what he saw with the Avatar-Panasonic relationship, saw the potential to further prolong his milking of the Star Wars franchise and wanted in on the action.

Edited by Sabor

Modifications to "Star Wars - A New Hope" - Blade

BEN: I have something here for you. Your father wanted you to have

this when you were old enough, but your uncle wouldn't allow it. He

feared you might follow old Obi-Wan on some damned-fool idealistic

Bluray Collection like your father did....................................................................

LUKE: Consumerism?

BEN: Well, consumerism is what gives 20th Century Fox it's power. It's an energy

field created by all CEO's and executives. It surrounds us and penetrates us.

It binds the galaxy together.

:winky:

Blade

:lol: ... :lol: .... :o ........................... :lol:

WOW!!

Cynical bunch aren't we?

no..... I think that we have seen it all - several times before to 'know' how these businesses operate :)

to think that Lucasfilm and Fox would let go of their cashcow so 'early' into this format - which is still quite low in the marketplace - would be massive change to their previous dealings with their titles.

At worst Panasonic involvement might delay the general release of the six pack by a few months. At best it might be a delay of a year. :lol:

I'll be waiting only for individual movies of IV and V. If I have to buy a trilogy, VI will be off to eBay quicksmart.

absolute gold bladernr :lol:

i think it'll be some crap 3d exclusive announcement but here's hoping for someone

to actually think of the consumer ..... wtf am i saying i guess i'll wait for the

quadruple dip to get want i really want ( IV and V ) f*****g george lucas does he

really need another 20 million bucks ?

:o

WOW!!

Cynical bunch aren't we? I'm thinking(hoping!!) that it's just the 3-D release that may be exclusive & the regular BD versions are still released to the masses.

Which regular bd versions ? theatrical edition;directors edition ? too cynical :huh: Who could complain ; 3d Jar jar Binks ;wheres the bucket Ime getting woozy already :D

Now copies of the original Trilogy on VHS/Laserdisk are all but extinct.

And whilst cleaning out the garage, I found mine on VHS. These are the 1996 wide screen (letterboxed) versions of the OT. I also have an original CBS/FOX VHS P&S copy of Star Wars somewhere. I'm not 100% sure as I am unable to watch it, however it may even be from a time where the opening simply said STAR WARS before the addition of Episode IV A New Hope was added to the crawl.