Placette Audio Preamps

Hi I noticed a few comments in threads and a bit of for sale activity.

Are you able to share your experiences in terms of

(1) Dynamics and loudness - do they need a super sensitive speaker?

(2) Would they provide much benefit on a $4000 integrated if I set the integrated to power amp mode

(3) Anyone in Sydney have one they're willing to let me demo with?

Thanks

Hello.

I recently purchased a Placette Audio Remote Volume Control. On the whole I'm happy, though it didn't improve the sound as I hoped... it doesn't seem to add anything at all (which is exactly how it is marketed).

My general understanding, based on reading threads on the internet;

1. Component matching is important - variables include

- fairly high input impedance on the power amplifier (don't quote me on this, but I believe the Placette Output impedance is 2kOhm, so you'd want at least 20kOhm+ Output Impedance).

- short interconnect to the power amplifier, with high capacitance.

- a source that can drive your amplifier to near full volume (something about input sensitivity, and having a source that outputs a healthy voltage)

At lower listening levels, I haven't been 'floored' with the sound, but that might just be personal preference. I couldn't say specifically that dynamics were lacking, though people have certainly commented on that with passive designs. At louder levels dynamics appear to be preserved, however possibly with some reduction (purely subjective).

Some people say that if you are happy with the sound and volume that you get from directly connecting the CD-Player/DAC to the power amplifier, then you will be happy with the Placette. Note that I do NOT advocate doing this - it could damage your speakers. That is the best way of finding out if you will like the Placette, because the sound is supposed to be the same.

2. That depends on the integrated. You may prefer the sound of the preamplifier stage of your integrated. The source is also important because the Placette will simply pass through what it is sent. Also, the signal will probably still have to pass through certain stages of the integrated amplifier, and this may potentially affect the ability of the Placette to drive the power amplifier stage (though the distance of the wiring within the integrated amplifier will probably be short anyway).

If you are considering purchasing this new, I believe Placette Audio offers a money back guarantee. While there's some science behind the information I've read on the internet, the only true way to know if it will work in your system is to try it. Good luck.

FYI, my components, if this helps.

Source - Marantz SA8260 (transport)

DAC - Exemplar XD-1 (modified Xindak DAC-5, output voltage 2V)

PreAmp - Placette Audio RVC

Power Amplifier - Nuforce MCH-3SE-C7 (run in two channel mode, similar to the Nuforce Ref 9 V2 SE's, input impedance 45kohm, input sensitivity (I think the Nuforce Ref 9 V2 Se's are about 1.6V).

Cables - 1x cheap RCA cable from DAC to Placette, 1x Antipodes Komako IC's from Placette to Power Amplifier, generic speaker cable.

Speakers - LSA-1 Statement Monitors (Sensitivity 88db, 6ohm), Polk LSi15 (Sensitivity 88db, ?4ohm).

Hope that helps.