Rds In Brisbane

datvman

Got to drive the new Diesel Ford Mondeo (beautiful car I want one) and the following stations have RDS

973FM - Shows as '97.3 FM' and has the traffic signal. Works too :D

B105 - Shows as 'B105 FM' and thats about it

Triple M - Shows as 'TRIPLE M' and thats it

Nova - Shows as 'NOVA1069' and thats about it

River - Shows as 'River949' and scrolls between 'The HIT Music Station' and the song name.

Overall I was impressed. Both with the excellent sound system and the car. No AM Stereo :(

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to drive the new Diesel Ford Mondeo (beautiful car I want one) and the following stations have RDS

River - Shows as 'River949' and scrolls between 'The HIT Music Station' and the song name.

Overall I was impressed. Both with the excellent sound system and the car. No AM Stereo :(

It's a good idea that only took off really in Europe. At one stage River 949 were showing song titles and things like temperatures.

B105 and MMM seem to occasionally go through spurts of someone having a play with it. Sometimes they'll display the current show that's playing.

Also Triple M's clock is about 5 hours fast. RDS broadcasting stations are notorious for not having the time set correctly. It's like the video recorder at home flashing 12:00. No one knows how to set the time...

Nova in Perth comes upas NOVA 937 as well.

Also Triple M's clock is about 5 hours fast. RDS broadcasting stations are notorious for not having the time set correctly. It's like the video recorder at home flashing 12:00. No one knows how to set the time...

I had to e-mail Vega/Nova in Sydney when daylight savings ended to change their RDS clock cause they kept on stuffing up my car radio's clock. :P

I noticed they all had 'AF' light up on the display, but what stations do they alternate to?

Don't know about Brisbane, but in Sydney, WSFM uses AF for their three frequencies (88.3/99.1/101.7) and DMG owned Star 104.5 from the Central Coast AFs to Nova 969 (last I checked).

Unfortunately car receivers generally don't receive the RT field which is usually where the song info lies as it has 64 characters length I think.

G'day,

I can confirm that Melbourne's RDS stations are only the Commercial ones also

Triple M - Came up as "TRIPLE M"

Gold 104 - Came up as "GOLD 104" but when tuning in once, the word "HITS" appeared for a quick second before reverting back

Fox FM - Came up as "FOX FM"

Mix 101.1 - Came up as "MIX 101.1"

Nova 100 - Came up as "NOVA 100"

Vega 91.5 - Came up as "VEGA 915"

No regionals around seem to take RDS either, including Geelong, Ballarat or Gippsland

• 4 weeks later...

Well I managed to get myself a cheap car stereo with RDS and hooked it up to a 240VAC - 12VDC converter and used the Amp preouts to connect to the HiFI :D. Nothing much has changed except that Hot 91 down the coast now has 'Hot 91' as the station name with AF to 96.1 ZincFM. Can't get ZincFM here in Brisbane to see what they do :(.

• 2 weeks later...

In Adelaide:

NOVA 91.9:

Nova 919, Never more than 2 ads in a row + current song/M.O.R.. Music/ Time (correct)

Fresh FM 92.7

Fresh FM - The future sound of Adelaide (alternates with Dedicated to the youth of Adelaide) SMS Song to 199-DANCE (199-32623) for title/artist on air. SMS song feature only works 6am - 6pm Mon - Fri 6am - 7pm Sat - Sun Check out www.freshfm.com.au for program guide and station info / POP Music / Time given, but is incorrect, hasn't been adjusted for daylight saving, plus is a few minutes ahead.

MIX102.3 FM

MIX102.3 - Adelaides best music - MIX / TA & TP lights up on radio dial / No time

RDS is also on their 96.7 Adelaide Hills Frequency

taken from Denon TU-235RD tuner

Jamie

In Adelaide:

NOVA 91.9:

Nova 919, Never more than 2 ads in a row + current song/M.O.R.. Music/ Time (correct)

Fresh FM 92.7

Fresh FM - The future sound of Adelaide (alternates with Dedicated to the youth of Adelaide) SMS Song to 199-DANCE (199-32623) for title/artist on air. SMS song feature only works 6am - 6pm Mon - Fri 6am - 7pm Sat - Sun Check out www.freshfm.com.au for program guide and station info / POP Music / Time given, but is incorrect, hasn't been adjusted for daylight saving, plus is a few minutes ahead.

MIX102.3 FM

MIX102.3 - Adelaides best music - MIX / TA & TP lights up on radio dial / No time

RDS is also on their 96.7 Adelaide Hills Frequency

taken from Denon TU-235RD tuner

Jamie

• 2 months later...

I got an iPod remote which supports RDS Radio Text and for Sydney I got:

Freq - PS - RT

95.3 - Vega95.3 - (Song playing) Vega 95.3 FM

96.1 - EDGE96.1 - THE EDGE 96.1 LIVESEXY

96.9 - Nova 969 - (Song playing) Nova 969 Never More Than two ads in a row

101.7 (also on 88.3 and 99.1) - WSFM - Sydney's 101.7 WSFM - GOOD TIMES AND GREAT CLASSIC HITS

104.1 - 2DAY-FM - 2DAY-FM ... Sydney's number 1 hit music station

104.5 - STAR1045 - STAR 1045 PLAYS ROCK STARS STAR1045 ROCKS THE COAST

104.9 - TRIPLE M - 104.9 Triple M Rocks Sydney

I couldn't get a RDS signal on 96.5 Wave FM.

Back in 2000 touring the UK I rented a Honda Accord for a month and was amazed to see that the radio was extremely intelligent! What a clever radio, and didn't realise it was the stations broadcasting additional info. Since then I have bought 2 new cars in Australia and had quite forgotten about RDS until I read this thread. As usual, come to Australia and set your calendar back 15 years. Sad.

• 6 months later...

G'day Hawto

All the commercials from Mt Coot-tha PLUS River 949 Ipswich.

River 949 transmits the song titles and artist (you don't need Radio Text, just a basic RDS radio).

Nova 1069 transmits the song titles and artist as Radio Text (on a fully featured RDS car radio like Alpine).

Slogans :angry2: are the only Radio Text broadcast by the rest, pretty pointless, e.g. FM104 Triple M's Radio Text is "Brisbane's widest variety of music".

Sunshine Coast commercials aren't using RDS at all these days.

Edited by Rock in stereo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Melbourne and Sydney DMG stations transmit RadioText (track and artist). In Brisbane, the Austereo stations are providing the name of the current programme being broadcast and the corresponding telephone number to call in on. For instance, I have seen it scrolling when Spoonman's programme is on FM104 4MMM and the Hot 30 is on B105 FM. It would appear that these stations are expanding their use of RDS, which is nice. Perhaps the engineers are reading this thread? Who knows.

One question for others: how many of the car radios that you, your family or friends drive around in, have RDS? In other words, do you think these tuners are in widespread use? For me, my sister's Sony radio, my father's factory radio, my mother's factory radio all feature RDS. I don't think all of those support Radiotext however. (I am under the impression Radiotext is not always implemented in car radios because of safety issues while driving.) None of my mates have radios that feature RDS, nor do I on my 1995 factory radio. :D

Edited by Rock in stereo

Melbourne and Sydney DMG stations transmit RadioText (track and artist). In Brisbane, the Austereo stations are providing the name of the current programme being broadcast and the corresponding telephone number to call in on. For instance, I have seen it scrolling when Spoonman's programme is on FM104 4MMM and the Hot 30 is on B105 FM. It would appear that these stations are expanding their use of RDS, which is nice. Perhaps the engineers are reading this thread? Who knows.

I don't think they are really "expanding" their use. Every now and then some one seems to go and have a play with it. They are using it wrongly too. They are using the station ID field to broadcast information so they have to do that crappy scrolling since it's limited to something like 8 or 10 characters.

There is a much better way to send the info in another field. On my empeg MP3 player it displays both. I would expect any decent radio (particularly in a European car) to display this properly.

There is a much better way to send the info in another field. On my empeg MP3 player it displays both. I would expect any decent radio (particularly in a European car) to display this properly.

That's true, Shonky, the programme info would be best sent as RadioText. The problem is that on some radios you have to activate RadioText (manually) in order for the unit to display it. I guess the sending the info (scrolling) as part of the Station Name (the "PS" field) overcomes that. I just had a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Data_System which is quite a good explanatory starter on RDS.

My dad's Peugeot 308 has RDS radiotext, but it's off by default and you have to turn it on. For some reason Triple M and 2Day FM only broadcast the songs' names sometimes but not always. Vega and Nova usually do though. It'd be good if the stations used the TA feature properly... So, update on RDS stations in Sydney:

Freq - PS - RT - PTY

95.3 - Vega95.3 - (Song playing) Vega 95.3 FM - Oldies

96.1 - EDGE96.1 - THE EDGE 96.1 LIVESEXY - Pop Music

96.5 - WAVE FM - 965 WAVEFM... PLAYING WHATEVER WE FEEL LIKE - Rock Music

96.9 - Nova 969 - (Song playing) Nova 969 Never More Than two ads in a row - Varied

101.7 (also on 88.3 and 99.1) - WSFM - Sydney's 101.7 WSFM - GOOD TIMES AND GREAT CLASSIC HITS - Other Music - TP

103.2 - Syd 1032 - Sydney's 1032... Passion For Life - Varied

104.1 - 2DAY-FM - 2DAY-FM ... (Song playing) Sydney's number 1 hit music station - Pop Music

104.5 - STAR1045 - STAR 1045 PLAYS ROCK STARS * STAR1045 ROCKS THE COAST - Rock Music

104.9 - TRIPLE M - (Song playing) 104.9 Triple M Rocks Sydney - Rock Music

106.5 - MIX106.5 - No RT - Pop Music - TP

Edited by Winston

• 5 months later...

In Brisbane, Austereo's FM 104 Triple M and B105 FM have switched off their RDS. I am not complaining, since they did virtually nothing with it. C FM Toowoomba have RDS which on Radio Text show the programme playing (it scrolled "Truck Radio" whilst it was on overnight, out of the Albury hub, for example). I imagine C FM Toowoomba are doing this to compete with River 949 Ipswich which apparently pumps a strong signal into Toowoomba. River 949, one of the earliest adopters of RDS in Brisbane, are still using Radio Text to show the song and artist. The only other station in SE Qld doing this is Nova 106.9.

Edited by Rock in stereo

• 2 weeks later...

Many years ago the ABC supported RDS as well. I remember my aftermarket Pioneer stereo had RDS and I drove from Sydney to Brisbane listening to JJJ and I didn't have to change the frequency once it just did it all by itself. This was back in about 1998.

Many years ago the ABC supported RDS as well. I remember my aftermarket Pioneer stereo had RDS and I drove from Sydney to Brisbane listening to JJJ and I didn't have to change the frequency once it just did it all by itself. This was back in about 1998.

Triple J had fully operational RDS until about two years ago, here in Brisbane. You would think that as RDS provides the capability to switch to stronger local transmitters and the fact Triple J have such a ridiculous number of transmitters that utilizing transmitters that support RDS would be a no-brainer... I would argue they have more justification than any other network to use it. I suppose it all comes down to costs and by ditching their RDS-enabled transmitters they could trim the fat in one area. It is a shame however.