Screen Height, Speaker Placement And Seating Locations

The purpose of the revised first post is to work out how large the screen can be from the beginning of the room design. I've used 15 degrees vertical as that reference (THX and SMPTE).  I was still using an SD projector when I wrote the original first post back in 2007.  10 years on and a lot has changed, so why I wanted to update this thread.

1x the image width of Scope works out to be 53.1 degrees for Scope and 41.5 degrees for 16:9.  Nothing wrong with that.  

• 2 years later...

Looks like this page hasn't been updated in some time? So I've made up a pdf covering the following:

• Screen sizes and formats and how to choose them based on room specs and viewing angles.
  • Screen gain, textures, what to avoid etc.
  • Velvet frames and why that's important - why fidelio is the best there is!
  • Screen frames and the industry standard 3 inch wide frame. Why frame less screens can be a nightmare to align.
  • The new Majestic screen frame and fabric insert - Installers and clients will be happy with this - no more sore thumbs!
  • Ambient light, room colours and paint.

https://www.projectorscreens.com.au/oztheatre_printable_screen_tech_guide.pdf

And Majestic screen sizes, might as well add this here 

https://www.projectorscreens.com.au/oz_theatre_screen_sizes_2019.pdf

I'll be adding to this pdf over time. Next up with the more popular projector throw distances vs screen sizes and formats. (JVC, Sony, Epson, BenQ etc) How much room you need to leave behind projector - based on warranty,  air vents and air flow etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 05/09/2019 at 3:52 PM, oztheatre said:

I'll be adding to this pdf over time. Next up with the more popular projector throw distances vs screen sizes and formats. (JVC, Sony, Epson, BenQ etc) How much room you need to leave behind projector - based on warranty,  air vents and air flow etc.

definitely worth doing oz, these are often questions from folk...