Dr Who New Series

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40624288

Jodie Whittaker has been announced as Doctor Who's 13th Time Lord - the first woman to be given the role. The new Doctor's identity was revealed in a trailer broadcast at the end of the Wimbledon men's singles final.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40626224

Few TV casting announcements can have been as long awaited as the name of the new Doctor Who and when the revelation finally came it sent social media into a frenzy.

_96965516_doctor_1.jpg

JSmith :ninja:

They really have lost the plot, haven't they?

I was looking forward to a new series that approximated the Real Dr Who, with an actor who looked like the Real Doctor. I can remember the early shows, including those the BBC carefully lost, and every Doctor since has seemed like an impostor to me.

Anyway, why didn't they pick Joanna Lumley again :lol:

Edited by Digital Penetration

25 minutes ago, Digital Penetration said:

I was looking forward to a new series that approximated the Real Dr Who, with an actor who looked like the Real Doctor. I can remember the early shows, including those the BBC carefully lost, and every Doctor since has seemed like an impostor to me.

Anyway, why didn't they pick Joanna Lumley again :lol:

A bit yes... I have no issue at all with a female actor playing a major role in anything, but the Dr Who series has never indicated that time lords can change gender, apart from when it happened to The Master recently and that seemed to have only been done to allow this new change.

Anyway, I expect Jodie will do quite well in the part as she is a fantastic actor and will certainly please many fans.

Some info from fans @ WP;

@54077469 CapnCoastie writes...
["It's also been referenced a few times on the canonical radio plays, I've heard."]

@54077475 NorthSiderTom writes...
["I believe it was mentioned off hand in the Doctor's Wife – The Corsair had changed genders."]

@54077526 SheldonE writes...
["And also in Hell Bent, one of the Timelord generals regenerates into a female."]

Fair calls... I stand corrected! :)

Well now I have no issue at all, it's probably about time then.

4 hours ago, Digital Penetration said:

What is the plot of Dr Who for it to be lost?

Is there a "Real Dr Who"? They/it regenerates to another body so the only part  that can be called real is their memory surely. The physical body is just the carrier for that essence which is The Doctor.

Little surprise this news ; as long as the actor does eccentric well like Tom Baker   ' its a bit inevitable in this day and age imo :)

But calls for a female Doctor go back as far as the 1970’s. Each time the lead announces they are departing, speculation   becomes rife that a woman would step into the role. However, in the world of Doctor Who female Timelords - sometimes known as Time Ladies - have been around for decades

As there are female Gallifreyans, there are female Time Lords (sometimes called Time Ladies).

To date, the series has featured several confirmed female Time Lords: Rodan ("The Invasion of Time"), Romana, Darkel (a.k.a. the Inquisitor), the Rani, and the unnamed woman who appears in "The End of Time". The voices of several female Time Lords are also heard in "The Doctor's Wife".

I'm convinced a woman can be a far darker character, and yet be forgiven and even likeable, compared to a man - being older should mean more considered and the stories always deal with something else dark-ish.  I liked Missy, and though I'm sure I liked the Master, I knew it was "more" wrong...  There's real scope here.  Regenerating into a woman isn't a problem (IMO) but I would appreciate good writing to go along with it.

Also, is it just me, but when I "obtained" the 36 series of "male dominance", I don't ever recall watching "the Rani" on the ABC in the 80's.  Great episode though.

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 year later...

I think Jodie's doing a splendid job of slotting into the role of the doctor and I don't feel any particular awkwardness about it being a woman. However, I'm a little bit concerned about the repeated political overtones to just about every episode so far. I'm hoping that's just something they need to get out of their system first and move on to more doctor who like plots. I'm not sure on the sidekicks either, they're not loveable, but they're not grating at least.

Edited by Ittaku

On 05/11/2018 at 10:54 PM, LHC said:

Any opinions yet on Jodie Whittaker as the new Doctor? I've only seen two episodes and missed a couple. I am having difficulty warming up to the trio of companions. 

I'm not that impressed with the new Dr WHO TBH, but that could be put down to new script writers as well as a new DR.

The new series seems to be running on political correct tram lines ATM, overly so IMHO, especially with the DR's new trio of UBER PC companions......kill them off please.

I don't know if this is because a lot of this series seems to have been shot in South Africa, but I suspect so.

I initially found Jodie Whittaker grating, but I'm slowly warming to her, but she seems to be stuck in between not being very serious and not being funny, and it makes the DR's character seem wishy washy and indecisive as a consequence.....again I put that down to less than stellar scripts and some really crap plots so far this series, lazy writing IMHO.

I kind of wish they had had a tongue in cheek 'In between' Male and Female Dr play the role before Jodie Whittaker came on full time, just for one season, somebody like Eddie Izzard playing a partial transvestite Dr would have been hilarious, I'm sure he would have jumped at the chance to do it if asked, Oh well, missed opportunity.....I supposed they could always do it if the next DR becomes Male again.

• Like 2

Would be better with a few more throw away lines like the drinking with famous identities line recently but the Dr needs a real threat to show a tad more heroism . Seems too much of a group effort so far and the doctor has never had a companion so very  senior to him/her -seems out of kilter slightly  ?       [stuffed flatbread icon]

Bring back Davros ; he'll sought things out :sarc:

I am ok with the Dr being female and the companions backgrounds as well, but it does seem a bit forced when taken as one.

the storyline’s have been good and bad so far.

i am not a fan of the don’t interfere with time and history episodes on earth eg the Rosa Parks episode. These have happened in the past as well.

Also they really didn’t explain the context of the john barrow man type character in that episode.

also the medical ship in space episode wasn’t great.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This series isn't doing it for me at all.I've tried. I like Jodie, but her companions suck. The scripts have been too PC. I don't want to be constantly morally preached to (men having babies forchrisakes), I want fantasy, sarcasm, humour,aliens and monsters. They've blown it.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Blk plastic said:

This series isn't doing it for me at all.I've tried. I like Jodie, but her companions suck. The scripts have been too PC. I don't want to be constantly morally preached to (men having babies forchrisakes), I want fantasy, sarcasm, humour,aliens and monsters. They've blown it.

It's painful isn't it? ?

• Like 3

Guest Eggcup The Daft

I haven't minded the "PC stuff" so much - and have quite liked the companion mix (there's more that could be done with them of course).

Monday's episode was the first where the Doctor being a woman was really acknowledged. It's a shame the plot, the ultra fast resolution, and the presence of the "King James" character made the whole thing garbage.

As with just about every single episode story since Tennant took over, the ones in this series have been too superficial. I preferred the original format where a story may have been in half hour episodes, but had time to be explored and the plot ideas exploited. The main problem with this series is that the episodes have been more superficial than ever. Until this week, every episode could have been pushed out to three 50 minute parts (or six of the old school episodes) and would have been so much better for it.

Having said that, I don't advocate going back to the 30 minute episode as such. Binge watchers would probably be annoyed. I'd just like more two part stories, please.

Edited by Eggcup The Daft
mixed quotation marks!