Covers that are better than the original

12 hours ago, keyse1 said:

That is awful

the Searchers song was great and I think The Sports from memory did a great version of it 

Perhaps I could have chosen a better video clip ( that one is cheesy ) but my opinion stands on Carrack's verson being better as a song

• Like 1

I really need to read the whole thread, but there's a couple that spring to mind straight away that I think are better than the original.  (Not saying the originals suck though...)

There's a heap of covers I like, I mean Faith No More has done a lot of good covers, but I'm not sure I could say I like them better the original though.  They're just a different style.

Cats in the Cradle.  Although I'm not sure I remember the nasal twang.  Oh well, it was the early nineties.  But I just liked the general sound more.  

Shivers.  The original vocals just didn't gel with me.  Plus the song generally just seems slightly more laid back which I think suits the lyrics more.

Then there's Mad World.  Gary Jules version is pretty good, but I might just have to give it to The Red Paintings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monk said:

I really need to read the whole thread, but there's a couple that spring to mind straight away that I think are better than the original.  (Not saying the originals suck though...)

There's a heap of covers I like, I mean Faith No More has done a lot of good covers, but I'm not sure I could say I like them better the original though.  They're just a different style.

Cats in the Cradle.  Although I'm not sure I remember the nasal twang.  Oh well, it was the early nineties.  But I just liked the general sound more.  

Shivers.  The original vocals just didn't gel with me.  Plus the song generally just seems slightly more laid back which I think suits the lyrics more.

Screaming Jets and Ugly Kid Joe.      No No No No No  - both turgid IMO :lol:

next you will tell us you love Disturbed - Sounds of silence :hiccup

Edited by metal beat

1 hour ago, Monk said:

Then there's Mad World.  Gary Jules version is pretty good, but I might just have to give it to The Red Paintings.

Was only jut thinking of adding the Gary Jules version here when I saw your reply @Monk

But it originally was a Tears For Fears song from the early 80s before Mr Jules did it and a cracker if you ask me. 

51 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Screaming Jets and Ugly Kid Joe.      No No No No No  - both turgid IMO :lol:

next you will tell us you love Disturbed - Sounds of silence :hiccup

C'mon man, like I said, it was the nineties!  It's not like I'd admit to liking those bands otherwise. :P

Yeah, I might give that Disturbed song a miss...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/09/2017 at 11:06 AM, Ian McP said:

oh this brings back memories. the whole Laibach 'let it be' is filed with great beatles covers. and then there was Europe's "Final Countdown"

Edited by molika
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
oh this brings back memories. the whole Laibach 'let it be' is filed with great beatles covers. and then there was Europe's "Final Countdown"

I think Across the universe is a standout on Laibach 'Let it be' album. You could almost call it 'don't let it be' as they omitted the album title track.

• Like 4

On 9/21/2017 at 8:34 PM, metal beat said:

Screaming Jets and Ugly Kid Joe.      No No No No No  - both turgid IMO

@Monk...don't embarrassed by MB's poor taste in music...I'm not...

Though he got Ugly Kid Joe right...Harry Chapin would NOT have approved...

Distrubed Sound of Silence is a very good cover...

Not a big fan of the Jets...except for Better...great song & beautifully recorded...

8 minutes ago, Rob181 said:

@Monk...don't embarrassed by MB's poor taste in music...I'm not...

Though he got Ugly Kid Joe right...Harry Chapin would NOT have approved...

Distrubed Sound of Silence is a very good cover...

Not a big fan of the Jets...except for Better...great song & beautifully recorded...

LMFAO  !!       you smoking dope again Rob :)

On 21/09/2017 at 10:13 PM, Monk said:

C'mon man, like I said, it was the nineties!  It's not like I'd admit to liking those bands otherwise. :P

Yeah, I might give that Disturbed song a miss...

Ugly Kid Joe is a great band and that song isn't bad but their own stuff is betterer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

On 07/12/2009 at 10:28 PM, Rhett Morson said:

OMG Cohens Vs Buckley - you guys have lost the plot

if anyone says Beatles song covered is better, that would be worse - I am in shock

Scissor Sisters - take me out

Check out Zoot doing Elenor Rigby, its epic

• Like 1

I still remember when working on Rediffusion UK's Ready Steady Go Pop TV show watching this 16 year old semi unknown Singer being ushered into the Live TV set and the jaws dropped-- never to be forgotten experience.

Willco

Edited by Willco
  • Like 2