Covers that are better than the original

Covers better than the original, ok - IMHO Eva Cassidy's version of Fields of Gold is brilliant compared to Sting's original.  I saw an interview where even he commented that her rendition surpasses his own.

• Like 1

Aretha Franklin - Natural woman

For many years i didnt realise it was a Carol King song.... aretha nails it imo

Ignore this post. Aretha was original singer.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scuzzii said:

Aretha Franklin - Natural woman

For many years i didnt realise it was a Carol King song.... aretha nails it imo

That one's a bit of a different case. King wrote it (with her songwriting partner Goffin and Aretha's producer Jerry Wexler also has a credit) but it was written for Aretha and that is the original version. King didn't release her own version until Tapestry four years later. 

My pick for Aretha nailing a cover would be 'Respect'. The Otis Redding original is wonderful, but Aretha emphatically makes it her own.

• Like 1

That one's a bit of a different case. King wrote it (with her songwriting partner Goffin and Aretha's producer Jerry Wexler also has a credit) but it was written for Aretha and that is the original version. King didn't release her own version until Tapestry four years later. 

My pick for Aretha nailing a cover would be 'Respect'. The Otis Redding original is wonderful, but Aretha emphatically makes it her own.
Ok, that is absolutely a good call out

• Like 1

Speaking of Huddy Leadbetter (if he did actually write the song) or Iron Head Baker (first recording), Both Ram Jam's and Spiderbait's version of Black Betty are pretty good.

Iron Head & Leadbelly

Edit: Dino Valenti's version isn't bad either.

Dino Valenti - Black Betty

Edited by bob_m_54

2 hours ago, keyse1 said:

That is awful

the Searchers song was great and I think The Sports from memory did a great version of it 

Have to agree with you @keyse1 , there's so much more life in the original. I Paul Carrack's defence, I'm sure that it was more his management team's idea than his, hoping that after working alongside Mike Rutherford for so many years that he might benefit from the Phil Collins Effect*.

*The Phil Collins Effect = Cover early '60's songs in smooth AOR production style and makes bucket loads of cash whilst simultaneously sacrificing artistic credibility on the altar of Mammon. (Effect can be mitigated to a degree by returning to your old band and playing drums like you've been touched by the finger of a god, but not enough to remove completely the darkest of stains on your reputation).

• Like 3

Everyone hates Phil Collins. I think his cover of "The Times Are A-Changin'" (Bob Dylan) kicks major bum. I've always considered Bob Dylan an incredible songwriter, but I seem to enjoy covers of his songs more than the originals.

Phil Collins: The Times Are A-Changin'

Rolling Stones: Like A Rolling Stone

(fill in as required)

That being said, PC's "Going Back" album of covers left me cold.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, betocool said:

Everyone hates Phil Collins. I think his cover of "The Times Are A-Changin'" (Bob Dylan) kicks major bum. I've always considered Bob Dylan an incredible songwriter, but I seem to enjoy covers of his songs more than the originals.

Phil Collins: The Times Are A-Changin'

Rolling Stones: Like A Rolling Stone

(fill in as required)

That being said, PC's "Going Back" album of covers left me cold.

Such a justifiable dislike

his problem is that he can't sing and makes everything bland

incuding his own songs

as much as I like the Stones that is not a great version ofLike A Rolling Stone and not within a bulls roar of Bob's who is one of the best singers of all time especially at that time in the 60's

• Like 2