Denon 103 Owners & Discussion Thread

They have 3 options, $150, $250 or $350 depending on which stylus profile you go for, I had the middle one, but now have a Van den Hul DDT-II Special with the $350 stylus on it, they used the original boron cantilever as it is good.

Here is the link

http://www.sound-smith.com/retip/

Edited by Batty

• 2 weeks later...

I am thinking about buying a Zu audio version of these cartridge's, it seems that putting it in a new body is quite a popular mod. Also found a SUT specifically designed for use with 103 its a auditorium 23 see links below what do you think??

SUT: http://www.auditorium-23.de/Accessories/Transformers.html

ZU audio Cartridge: http://www.zuaudio.com/turntable-cartridge.php

The Cart's available in AUS are grade 1they are $630 AUD if you google it there are a few reviews, 6moons and Stereophile

I am sort of thinking i might just get the stock 103 first can be had for quite a reasonable price, and i need a cart for a vintage luxman 272 i got the other day, but would like to try it with a SUT has any one used the Denon AU 300 LC ?? Any advice much appreciated. 

Edited by JCM

Trying out a new Goldenageaudio African ebony half body/headshell on my Shick tonearm with Yamamoto headshell. I compared it to a Uwe ebony Denon body and this seems to gives the same tonality  but more open sounding and projection. But  i get a bit nervous with the coil/motor and tiny wires all  exposed.

GAElbonyheadshell3_zpsffb09121.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Shane,

Not sure about the price. Just got it ( prototype?) recently to try and give him some feedback.

May be I can post it to you to try too.

Did you have any issue removing the Denon coil/motor assembly from your Uwe body in the past? It was hard to remove mine from my ebony Uwe.

Hi Shane,

Not sure about the price. Just got it ( prototype?) recently to try and give him some feedback.

May be I can post it to you to try too.

Did you have any issue removing the Denon coil/motor assembly from your Uwe body in the past? It was hard to remove mine from my ebony Uwe.

ha ha. not a chance.  It was haphazardly fitting the ebony Uwe that got you and me, having ESC do the ruby cantilever/paratrace stylus rebuild.  Must admit, it is sounding really good now.  Everything a Koetsu should be , but better.  There is a guy on gon that says his esc'd/Zu 103r is a lot better than his Orpheus.

Perhaps I should send it to you/Duc so he could do it? The more open sounding, sounds inviting v the full ebony Uwe body  :D

ha ha. not a chance.  It was haphazardly fitting the ebony Uwe that got you and me, having ESC do the ruby cantilever/paratrace stylus rebuild.  Must admit, it is sounding really good now.  Everything a Koetsu should be , but better.  There is a guy on gon that says his esc'd/Zu 103r is a lot better than his Orpheus.

Perhaps I should send it to you/Duc so he could do it? The more open sounding, sounds inviting v the full ebony Uwe body  :D

send it down Shane :popcorn:

Duc

hmmm..I've got a DL-103 at the moment and have been considering a few different bodies. 

But how much of an improvement is the DL-103r over the standard DL-103? 

Hi Heman.

put it in a new body then you might not need the 103R . however the different between the R and the standar 103 is in the coil output impedances . the R have lower output impedance and supose to have better top end and may be a bit faster .

cheers

Duc

I found that a retipped and rebodied 103 was very surprising in a good way, but I have now switched to a retipped VdH DDT-II Special and it just outclassed the 103 in every way.

For the record, i'm not a Denon killer......LOL!  :D  Bought the cheap used 103 from hfido for rebuild/retip.

I know the guy you are referring to from A'gon. He carries on a bit about his retipped Zu 103, Zu speakers and the Salvation turntables. :rolleyes:

Guest JohnA
Trying out a new Goldenageaudio African ebony half body/headshell on my Shick tonearm with Yamamoto headshell. I compared it to a Uwe ebony Denon body and this seems to gives the same tonality  but more open sounding and projection. But  i get a bit nervous with the coil/motor and tiny wires all  exposed.

GAElbonyheadshell3_zpsffb09121.jpg

that does look damn funky

love it  :thumb:

For the record, i'm not a Denon killer......LOL!  :D  Bought the cheap used 103 from hfido for rebuild/retip.

I know the guy you are referring to from A'gon. He carries on a bit about his retipped Zu 103, Zu speakers and the Salvation turntables. :rolleyes:

I mark my killed denon down to inexperience in taking off 103 covers  :cool:

yea he was going on and on about it being better than even any cartridge at any price - even Atlas.   Last night I played the esc'd denon 103r and  the dyna xv-1s both with straight armwands on the P3.  The denon was nice, however the dyna was just better.  $$ at least still buys better performance in this case.

yea he was going on and on about it being better than even any cartridge at any price - even Atlas.   Last night I played the esc'd denon 103r and  the dyna xv-1s both with straight armwands on the P3.  The denon was nice, however the dyna was just better.  $$ at least still buys better performance in this case.

I'm with you on the last sentence.

Here's mine in an aluminum "silver" Midas. No retip...yet...

arm.jpg

Is that a Jelco SA-750D hanging off the Midas?

Hmmm, I'd like to try a Midas 103 on my "Wand" tonearm. I reckon it would be a good match.

Like Houndfang I too was close to putting a Wand on my SL1200 but chickened out and went for a Jelco.

Thinking a modded 103 is the go for the Jelco but this thread is a honey pot of possibilities?

Edited by adamg

• 2 weeks later...

So just a shameless plug, I just received my new Snakewood headshell courtesy of Duc. And boy is it good looking. here are a few quick snaps:

post-132515-0-83601800-1363862939_thumb.post-132515-0-14301000-1363862958_thumb.post-132515-0-94264100-1363862977_thumb.post-132515-0-10309400-1363862998_thumb.post-132515-0-66175500-1363863017_thumb.

Hmmm, I'd like to try a Midas 103 on my "Wand" tonearm. I reckon it would be a good match.

I am thinking about ordering a "Wand" tonearm and I have three carts and two decks, so if you want I am willing to cut you a deal? Take my DL-103 for a month and test it, just let me know what you think of the sound? Happy to send a P-77 too if you want. It's a lot of money for someone like me especially without hearing it so I could just borrow your ears!

PM me if you like.

Edited by epos

Is that a Jelco SA-750D hanging off the Midas?Like Houndfang I too was close to putting a Wand on my SL1200 but chickened out and went for a Jelco. Thinking a modded 103 is the go for the Jelco but this thread is a honey pot of possibilities?

Yes - really good match too

• Like 1

I am thinking about ordering a "Wand" tonearm and I have three carts and two decks, so if you want I am willing to cut you a deal? Take my DL-103 for a month and test it, just let me know what you think of the sound? Happy to send a P-77 too if you want. It's a lot of money for someone like me especially without hearing it so I could just borrow your ears!

PM me if you like.

I have the 9" Wand and I tried a 103 for a short time. An excellent match IMO, far better than my DL160 as you would expect. I bought fangs' Midas 103r but haven't fitted it yet as I still need to obtain the XS counter weight kit. I must pull my finger out, but my crappy rega and lack of funds discourages me.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="houdinifangs" data-cid="862632" data-time="1363863781"><p>

Yes - really good match too</p></blockquote>

My TT with SA750 ready for pick up with Duc body soon to follow.

Interested in how you've set up the cart/arm Fang....stock or heavier headshell, heavier counterweight, VTF ?

I picked up a Denon DP-55K and have a 103 mounted to the DA-405 tonearm.

On first listen, and not knowing anything about this cartridge, I was amazed by how good it sounded and knew that this cart was something special.

Will no doubt be seeking everyone's advise soon.

• 4 weeks later...

Just epoxy filled my 2 Midas Denon 103R cartridges (both with Soundsmith retip).

Cartridge weight is now 15.35g - which is about a gram heavier than without the fill.

Been waiting for the epoxy to set so no listening done yet.

Fingers crossed they sound ok. :cool:

Epoxy%20midas.jpg