Wollongong Radio

Moasaica

As we have explained on this forum before, Wave FM & i98FM are competing with each other in the Wollongong market. Both are the only commercial radio stations servicing Wollongong and therefore, there are a lot of holes in Wollongong's commercial radio stations.

For starters - The lack of 60s/70s music on commercial stations.

Wave FM does not play anything from the 60s during the day since around 2002/03. 70s music is played at a bare minimum with about 1-2 songs an hour. Even 2ST down in Nowra plays more 60s/70s music than Wave FM.

i98FM hardly plays anything from the 80s, so Wave FM fills that void quite smartly. i98FM's "Today's Best Music" format is mostly from the 90s & 2000s.

The purpose of the poll above is if Wave FM & i98FM weren't competing with each other in the Wollongong market, we'd be hearing more variety of music on both stations than what it is now. Because of the current situation, the music variety is as limited as most Sydney commercial FM stations (probably except Vega :blink:).

Whenever I tune to Wave FM, I just hear the same songs every week or even every day (except for new music).

Feel free to express an opinion. :P

BTW, in case you're wondering, Power FM is out of this debate as its a Nowra station, even though they have a sales office at the Wave FM building in Warrawong & are being mentioned in the Wollongong radio ratings surveys.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both stations sound too old

Wollongong needs a hip happening radio stations that doesn't play any oldies, just HITS

i98FM predominantly plays today's hits.

Surely the 50 pluses can hear 2CH from Wollongong anyway - and WAVE FM sounds so OLD  :P

Wave FM doesn't sound really old. Its music format is predominantly from the 2000s, with a bit of 70s & 80s thrown in. Re 2CH, it can be heard in Wollongong & its being proven that at Survey 2 of 2003, 2CH beat Power FM, which was quite a phenomenon for Power FM to be beaten by a Sydney station in Wollongong.

Also, older listeners in Wollongong also have the choice of listening to WS-FM & Vega from Sydney for more 60s & 70s music, which these stations come into most parts of Wollongong quite well. :P

They need one more commerical station there.  2 stations is not enough for that market. Esp when Gosford gets 3.

Like as before, elsewhere on this forum, I have to agree with you. That's why the Gosford commercial stations generally sounds better than the Wollongong commercial stations, especially 2GO which proudly plays "songs missing from Central Coast radio", which a fair amount of songs is not heard in any of the Sydney commercial FM stations (except Vega). I don't hear Wave FM saying that they play songs missing from Illawarra radio, as they play the same songs most of the time. That's why Wave FM's music playlist is as tight as a typical Sydney commercial FM station IMO. :blink:

Another thing is that most 70s songs that Wave FM plays are no different to what is played on WS-FM. Listen to Wave FM & then listen to WS-FM (or vice-versa) and you would notice that there isn't much difference between the two.

In comparison, 70s music that is being played on 2GO is quite different to what you hear on WS-FM.

Even 2GO plays the odd 60s track whereas Wave FM doesn't.

Wave FM does not play anything from the 60s during the day since around 2002/03. 70s music is played at a bare minimum with about 1-2 songs an hour.

Listening to Wave FM this afternoon, apparently they cut back down to one 70s song an hour, every hour, just like how it was before June (instead of two 70s songs on the hour, every couple of hours).

To get an idea on what Wave FM sounds like between 3-4pm this afternoon, they played:

The Tide is High - Blondie (1981)

Out of Time - Jimmy Barnes & Tim Rodgers (2005)

Show Me The Way - Peter Frampton (1976)

Can't get this Thing we Started - Bryan Adams (1991)

Good People - Jack Johnson (2005)

Leave A Light On - Belinda Carlisle (1989)

Big Yellow Taxi - Counting Crows (2003)

Meant To Fail - Alex Lloyd (2005)

Kokomo - Beach Boys (1988)

Of the nine songs, one was from the 70s (11%), three was from the 80s (33%), one was from the 90s (11%) & four songs was from the 2000s (44%).

I was also flicking to i98FM & they play mostly music from the 2000s, with the earliest being from the 90s. i98FM sounds more like an outer suburban station than a regional station IMO.

The Gosford stations overall (except Sea FM which is programmed from the Gold Coast from 2pm weekdays) are much better sounding than the Wollongong stations.

Star 104.5 plays a fair amount of 80s music as well as 90s & 2000s. 2GO is being in their usual self with playing some of the songs "missing on Central Coast Radio".

Overall, if I was in Wollongong, my alternative station to Wave FM would not be i98FM nor Power FM Nowra. It would be the Sydney stations, if I can get it. :blink:

I apologise in advance for triple-posting but I have come across this on a new-improved i98FM website regarding ratings on how i98FM rates against its local commercial rivals, Wave FM & Power FM, which can be viewed here: http://www.i98.com.au/ad-ratings.htm

It also gives us the demographic ratings breakdown for the 10-17, 18-24, 25-39 & 55+ age groups.

Interestingly, the 40-54 age group ratings are not shown on the link, but it's obvious that Wave FM is the #1 commercial station on that age group, seeing that i98FM didn't acknowledge that it won the 40-54 age group.

The most interesting thing on those ratings figures is that on the 18-24 age group, Power FM outrates Wave FM by 7.1% (16.2% to 9.1%), even though it is a Nowra-based station! :blink:

Plus, i98FM can now be heard on the net as well, for those who can't pick up i98FM on a normal FM radio. :P

ABC News radio should start on FM 100.5 or 107.9 as a low power service from Brokers Nose (same location as 105.3 and 106.9). Until 90.9 becomes available. Alternatively it should be situated on the AM band where I think there is a lot of available space unlike our FM band.

100.5 :blink:, 107.9 would interfere with my 1079 reception from Lithgow. :P

• 2 weeks later...

This morning at 10:30am, I heard Wave FM & WS-FM both playing the same song at the same time. The song was "End of the Line" by Travelling Wilburys.

It would seem to me that Wave FM's competitor is not only i98FM, but its also the Sydney stations that they're competing with! :blink:

Also, to prove myself that Wave FM's playlist is very predictable, I always hear Backstreet Boys' "Incomplete" at 1:45pm, whichever day I listen to Wave FM.

This is why Wave FM & i98FM both need to be owned by the same company, so it can sound different to the Sydney stations because at the moment, it isn't! :P

As I said before, Wollongong radio used to sound decent, say five years ago, with Wave FM playing "The Best Songs Of All Time" from the 60s to Today, while i98FM played "Today's Best Music" from the 80s to Today.

Now in 2005, Wave FM plays "Illawarra's Best Music Variety" from the 70s to Today, dropping 60s music, while i98FM keeps their "Today's Best Music" but pretty much dropped 80s music (they still play the occassional 80s track but its very rare for i98 to do so).

Can anyone else remember how Wollongong radio (2WL/Wave & 2OO/i98) used to sound like & would like to enlighten us how it sounded like back then?

Thanks in Advance. :P

This morning at 10:30am, I heard Wave FM & WS-FM both playing the same song at the same time. The song was "End of the Line" by Travelling Wilburys.

It would seem to me that Wave FM's competitor is not only i98FM, but its also the Sydney stations that they're competing with!  :blink:

Also, to prove myself that Wave FM's playlist is very predictable, I always hear Backstreet Boys' "Incomplete" at 1:45pm, whichever day I listen to Wave FM.

This is why Wave FM & i98FM both need to be owned by the same company, so it can sound different to the Sydney stations because at the moment, it isn't!  :P

As I said before, Wollongong radio used to sound decent, say five years ago, with Wave FM playing "The Best Songs Of All Time" from the 60s to Today, while i98FM played "Today's Best Music" from the 80s to Today.

Now in 2005, Wave FM plays "Illawarra's Best Music Variety" from the 70s to Today, dropping 60s music, while i98FM keeps their "Today's Best Music" but pretty much dropped 80s music (they still play the occassional 80s track but its very rare for i98 to do so).

Can anyone else remember how Wollongong radio (2WL/Wave & 2OO/i98) used to sound like & would like to enlighten us how it sounded like back then?

Thanks in Advance.  :P

I98 was my favourite station in the early 90s playing better music variety from the 60s to today. At they time we only had MMM and 2DAY in sydney. It was so refreshing to hear 60s and 70s music in FM. WAVE went FM about 1 year or so after I98 did and they combined 2WL and WAVE FM in the same name. They eventually dropped the 2WL. I think had the slogan let the good time roll or something like that . They played modern music.

I98 was my station. I enjoyed the 70s sunday night on I98 which later changed to the retro radio show. They kept this show for a while even though they had the 2day FM format. Also the classic 9 at nine was awesome like c91.3 today. They played quite a modern songs too. It was similar to Vega. Although with Vega I'm not so interested in the talkback. The news service on that station is also ordinary at the moment.

I like the breakfast show on I98 FM when it first went to air. I can't remember the guys name but it was before Anthony Maroon. It wasn't special but it didn't have all those guys like on 2day fm and MMM trying to funny all the time. The reception at Carlingford was excellent in those days. There was no 2000 FM or SBS FM. In the case of WAVE there was no 96.1 or NOVA for a period or time.

I98 Dropped its 60s music in the mid-late 90s and played better music variety from the 70s to today and then after this went for the modern format. I stopped listening to I98 after this. For a short-time both WAVE & I98FM played modern music then WAVE decided to target older audience.

I always tried to drag my parents down to the GONG area for holidays so I could listen that how much I liked it !! :P

Matt

I98 was my favourite station in the early 90s playing better music variety from the 60s to today. At they time we only had MMM and 2DAY in sydney. It was so refreshing to hear 60s and 70s music in FM.  WAVE went FM about 1 year or so after I98 did and they combined 2WL and WAVE FM in the same name. They eventually dropped the 2WL. I think had the slogan let the good time roll or something like that . They played modern music.

I98 was my station. I enjoyed the 70s sunday night on I98 which later changed to the retro radio show.  They kept this show for a while even though they had the 2day FM format.  Also the classic 9 at nine was awesome like c91.3 today. They played quite a modern songs too. It was similar to Vega. Although with Vega  I'm not so interested in the talkback. The news service on that station is also ordinary at the moment.

I like the breakfast show on I98 FM when it first went to air. I can't remember the guys name but it was before Anthony Maroon. It wasn't special but it didn't have all those guys like on 2day fm and MMM trying to funny all the time.  The reception at Carlingford was excellent in those days. There was no 2000 FM or SBS FM. In the case of WAVE there was no 96.1 or NOVA for a period or time. 

I98 Dropped its 60s music in the mid-late 90s and played better music variety from the 70s to today and then after this went for the modern format. I stopped listening to I98 after this. For a short-time both WAVE & I98FM played modern music then WAVE decided to target older audience.

Thanks for that extended response about how Wollongong radio used to sound like in the 90s, mgaleano. :P

From what you gathered, i98FM had a "Classic Hits" format. I remember that when I went down to a beach in Wollongong, its safety sign had a logo of i98FM with "Classic Hits" at the bottom.

I discovered Wave FM & i98FM back in 1997, when I was just turning 11 (how young I was :D). Wave FM had a 2WS/MIX format with its "Best Songs of All Time" format from the 60s to today. i98FM, like you said, played music from the 70s to today, like how 2DAY sounded at the time. They dropped 60s music by the time I discovered i98FM. One time, back in 1998, I heard Elton John's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" being played on i98FM! :blink:

From what I understand, i98FM had been the #1 station in the Illawarra for so many years. It was #1 between 1995 & 2002, when Wave FM beat them in Survey 2 of 2002. It became #1 again in Survey 2 of 2003 & continued to do so today. The next survey is due to be released in just under two weeks time (6th October).

I also remembered that i98FM had one hour of the 80s at Midday, which Wave FM now does, with "The Awesome 80s" at the same timeslot. But back then, Wave FM had the Classic Countdown at Midday, highlighting songs from one year at that very week its being aired at.

I also remembered that i98FM had a retro show on a Sunday night, playing the best of the 70s & 80s. You also mentioned that i98FM used to have "70s Sunday Night", which after they dropped it, Wave FM picked it up. Since i98FM dropped the Retro Radio Show, Wave FM, yep, you guessed it, picked it up as "Sunday Night Retro" replacing "70s Sunday Night".

Wave FM now also has "The Urban Roadshow", which plays Country Music from 8pm-12am on Sunday nights. That's more hours on a Sunday night spent on Country music than on a Retro 70s/80s program which only takes two hours (6-8pm).

I always tried to drag my parents down to the GONG area for holidays so I could listen that how much I liked it !! :P

I sort of did that too, but only for day-trips, seeing I live in Campbelltown & its only 50km down the road. :P

Mgaleano, do you think that Wollongong commercial radio, overall, has gone downhill from how you remembered it? IMO, I think it does.

Thanks for that extended response about how Wollongong radio used to sound like in the 90s, mgaleano.  :P

From what you gathered, i98FM had a "Classic Hits" format. I remember that when I went down to a beach in Wollongong, where its safety sign had a logo of i98FM with "Classic Hits" at the bottom.

I discovered Wave FM & i98FM back in 1997, when I was just turning 11 (how young I was  :P). Wave FM had a 2WS/MIX format with its "Best Songs of All Time" format from the 60s to today. i98FM, like you said, played music from the 70s to today, like how 2DAY sounded at the time. They dropped 60s music by the time I discovered i98FM. One time, back in 1998, I heard Elton John's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" being played on i98FM!  :blink:

From what I understand, i98FM had been the #1 station in the Illawarra for so many years. It was #1 between 1995 & 2002, when Wave FM beat them in Survey 2 of 2002. It became #1 again in Survey 2 of 2003 & continued to do so today. The next survey is due to be released in just under two weeks time (6th October).

I also remembered that i98FM had one hour of the 80s at Midday, which Wave FM now does, with "The Awesome 80s" at the same timeslot. But back then, Wave FM had the Classic Countdown at Midday, highlighting songs from one year at that very week its being aired at.

I also remembered that i98FM had a retro show on a Sunday night, playing the best of the 70s & 80s. You also mentioned that i98FM used to have "70s Sunday Night", which after they dropped it, Wave FM picked it up. Since i98FM dropped the Retro Radio Show, Wave FM, yep, you guessed it, picked it up as "Sunday Night Retro" replacing "70s Sunday Night".

Wave FM now also has "The Urban Roadshow", which plays Country Music from 8pm-12am on Sunday nights. That's more hours on a Sunday night spent on Country music than on a Retro 70s/80s program which only takes two hours (6-8pm).

I sort of did that too, but only for day-trips, seeing I live in Campbelltown & its only 50km down the road.  :P

Mgaleano, do you think that Wollongong commercial radio, overall, has gone downhill from how you remembered it? IMO, I think it does.

Yes there isn't enough competition Both the Sydney and Gosford markets need a talkback/easy music station on the AM band.

I think a big mistake they did was with the Gosford and the Wollongong markets they should have reallocated at one of the radio AM freq for commerical use. So 801 AM would be still around as a commercial station and so would either 2WL or 2OO freq (I can't remember the freq).

Are there any spare am freq in the Gong area? At least they could use it for Newsradio?

Matt

Yes there isn't enough competition Both the Sydney and Gosford markets need a talkback/easy music station on the AM band.

Did you mean the Wollongong market, not Sydney? :blink:

I think a big mistake they did was with the Gosford and the Wollongong markets they should have reallocated at one of the radio AM freq for commerical use. So 801 AM would be still around as a commercial station and so would either 2WL or 2OO freq (I can't remember the freq).

2WL was broadcasting on 1314 kHz & 2OO was at 1575 kHz.

The 1314 frequency is now occupied by 2KY & 1575 is now occupied by Italian Radio.

The 801 frequency in Gosford is also occupied by Italian Radio.

Are there any spare am freq in the Gong area? At least they could use it for Newsradio?

There is 1035 kHz, but that's reserved for SBS Radio, who wanted their Wollongong service to be moved from 1485 kHz to that frequency to provide better coverage for Wollongong & the Illawarra.

A bit of blast from the past of Wollongong radio thanks to archive.org:

Wave FM - Workplace 500 - May 2001

Wave FM - Easter Weekend of 1000 Hits - April 2001

On Wave FM's Workplace 500, I find that the 80s had the majority of its list with 156 songs from that decade. The 70s not far behind with 144 songs on the list. Only 50 songs from the 60s made the list.

NOTE: You should be aware that while looking down the list of the Workplace 500, some of the songs are missing a year on the year section in which its being shown as a blank. :blink:

I have just come home from my day trip to Nowra, visiting a friends' sister's place, who lives down there.

As usual, I listen to radio down that way and I thought I'd share this with you. I put it on this thread because it relates to Wollongong radio & we will be mentioning something about Nowra radio as well.

Along the way, I listened to WS-FM just after 9am in around Campbelltown & they were playing Dragon's "April Sun In Cuba". Half an hour later, in Bulli Tops, I heard the same song on Wave FM! :blink:

The Sydney FM stations can be heard very well in most parts of the Illawarra. By the time I was in around Kiama around 10:45am, WS-FM were playing Fleetwood Mac's "Go Your Own Way" and just a few minutes later, Wave FM played it as well!! :P

In the "Wave FM vs. 2GO" thread we had a while back, we discussed that 2ST's 102.9 audio from Bowral is pretty poor for a Commercial FM station. I checked the audio on 2ST's 91.7 & 106.7, and they're pretty much the same as the 102.9 one. The funny thing is, 2ST's 999AM audio sounds almost like an FM station, on my walkman anyway! :P The first place that I picked up 2ST on 91.7 (Coast translator) was just past the Mt Pleasant Lookout between Kiama & Gerringong.

In Nowra, the Sydney FM stations can be picked up, albeit quite patchy in some areas on the car radio. In my walkman, Wave FM & i98FM can be picked up as clear as the local stations there.

In my previous posts, I mentioned that at around 1:45pm on a certain day, Wave FM played "Incomplete" by Backstreet Boys. Well this afternoon, at around 1:45pm, Wave FM were playing, you guessed it, "Incomplete" by Backstreet Boys! :D

This goes to show that Wave FM is just too predictable these days, which its playlist is as tight as the Sydney Commercial FM stations!

On a positive note, Wave FM will have the "Rocktober 400" over the long weekend, as part of Wave FM's Rocktober celebrations during October. WS-FM & 2ST are also during Rocktober. Wave FM's "Awesome 80s" is pretty good, and is much better than MIX 106.5's 80s Mix.

Between 1 & 2pm weekdays, Power FM does the "Retro Lunch Box", which they play three songs from the 80s. This is up against its sister station, 2ST with its "Classic Hour", which they play music from the 60s, 70s & 80s.

Despite its easy listening focus, 2ST has a better variety of music than Wave FM IMHO. Afterall, they are owned by the same company as Power FM for its Nowra market, and are not competing with each other, unlike the Wave vs. i98 rivalry battle in Wollongong! :P

I have just come home from my day trip to Nowra, visiting a friends' sister's place, who lives down there.

As usual, I listen to radio down that way and I thought I'd share this with you. I put it on this thread because it relates to Wollongong radio & we will be mentioning something about Nowra radio as well.

Along the way, I listened to WS-FM just after 9am in around Campbelltown & they were playing Dragon's "April Sun In Cuba". Half an hour later, in Bulli Tops, I heard the same song on Wave FM!  :blink:

The Sydney FM stations can be heard very well in most parts of the Illawarra. By the time I was in around Kiama around 10:45am, WS-FM were playing Fleetwood Mac's "Go Your Own Way" and just a few minutes later, Wave FM played it as well!!  :P

In the "Wave FM vs. 2GO" thread we had a while back, we discussed that 2ST's 102.9 audio from Bowral is pretty poor for a Commercial FM station. I checked the audio on 2ST's 91.7 & 106.7, and they're pretty much the same as the 102.9 one. The funny thing is, 2ST's 999AM audio sounds almost like an FM station, on my walkman anyway!  :P The first place that I picked up 2ST on 91.7 (Coast translator) was just past the Mt Pleasant Lookout between Kiama & Gerringong.

In Nowra, the Sydney FM stations can be picked up, albeit quite patchy in some areas on the car radio. In my walkman, Wave FM & i98FM can be picked up as clear as the local stations there.

In my previous posts, I mentioned that at around 1:45pm on a certain day, Wave FM  played "Incomplete" by Backstreet Boys. Well this afternoon, at around 1:45pm, Wave FM were playing, you guessed it, "Incomplete" by Backstreet Boys!  :D

This goes to show that Wave FM is just too predictable these days, which its playlist is as tight as the Sydney Commercial FM stations!

On a positive note, Wave FM will have the "Rocktober 400" over the long weekend, as part of Wave FM's Rocktober celebrations during October. WS-FM & 2ST are also during Rocktober. Wave FM's "Awesome 80s" is pretty good, and is much better than MIX 106.5's 80s Mix.

Between 1 & 2pm weekdays, Power FM does the "Retro Lunch Box", which they play three songs from the 80s. This is up against its sister station, 2ST with its "Classic Hour", which they play music from the 60s, 70s & 80s.

Despite its easy listening focus, 2ST has a better variety of music than Wave FM IMHO. Afterall, they are owned by the same company as Power FM for its Nowra market, and are not competing with each other, unlike the Wave vs. i98 rivalry battle in Wollongong!  :P

Its interesting you say i98 and Wave are as powerful as the local stations in Norwa. When I was down there it was not really the case. It was kinda like c91.3 say around Penrith or something. Not really strong but still can listen to it. In my walkman the best signal was mono, hard to get clear stereo where Power was really strong. I am a bit fussy with my FM reception.

I have never listen to 91.7!! I wonder if it effects the WIN3 !!

When you are in Campbelltown do you listen 88.3FM WS?

Matt

Its interesting you say i98 and Wave are as powerful as the local stations in Norwa. When I was down there it was not really the case. It was kinda like c91.3 say around Penrith or something. Not really strong but still can listen to it. In my walkman the best signal was mono, hard to get clear stereo where Power was really strong. I am a bit fussy with my FM reception.

In the direction of Nowra from Knights Hill, Power FM broadcasts at 50kW while Wave FM & i98FM broadcasts at 20kW. The ABC FM stations (95.7, 97.3 & 98.9) broadcasts at 150kW towards the south.

I have never listen to 91.7!! I wonder if it effects the WIN3 !!

Before I got to see the open scenery towards the south along the highway between Kiama & Gerringong, 91.7 is occupied by WIN's audio carrier from Brokers Nose. As soon as you see the views towards the south (and not see the views towards the north), 2ST comes through on that frequency.

When you are in Campbelltown do you listen 88.3FM WS?

No, I listen to WS-FM through 101.7 in Campbelltown. Its signal is strong enough for me to not having to tune to 88.3.

The Wollongong Radio Ratings have been released (albeit a day early).

i98FM - 24.3% (down 3%)

Wave FM - 18.6% (down 1.2%)

Power FM - 2.6% (down 2.7%)

More details can be found here: http://i98.com.au/ad-ratings.php

The biggest worry for Wave FM is the narrowing gap between them & i98FM on their target 40-54 age group. On that age group, Wave FM rated 28.9%, while i98FM rated 26.9%, a gap of just 2%!!! :blink:

Among the 40-54 age group, around 56% listened to Wave & i98 while the remaining 44% listen to mostly ABC & Sydney stations (Power FM rated only 0.5% in 40-54).

Compare this in Newcastle: KO-FM rates 36.3% in the 40-54 age group, 23.3% ahead of its sister station NXFM & 23.6% ahead of its nearest commercial rival, 2HD.

Wave FM & i98FM rivalry is quite fierce, even in the 40-54 age group! :P

Judging by Power FM's "disasterious" ratings for Wollongong, I'm guessing that the station has re-affirmed its position as a Nowra station with little or no reference to Wollongong, with Wave FM beating Power FM on the 18-24 age group.

Maybe i98FM might start playing 80s music again to counteract with Wave FM, who are the only commercial station in Wollongong to be really playing 80s music. If they do that, maybe they'll be #1 on the 40-54 age group in the next survey in April 2006! :P

If you look at the Central Coast, a "three commercial station market", Sea FM, Star 1045 & 2GO are playing 80s music (despite Sea FM's slogan being "90s & New Stuff"). If you look at Wollongong, only 1 out of 2 commercial stations plays 80s music on a regular basis, which is Wave FM. I know i98FM play 80s music occassionally but more would be nice, and then I would have a local commercial choice in Wollongong, apart from the Sydney stations. :P

Very interesting trend in Wollongong's commercial radio.

I apologise in advance for 'quartiple-posting'. :blink::P

I was just thinking that since i98FM is owned by WIN Television, it is considered a breach of the Broadcasting Services Act 1992. The fact is that 2OO (what i98FM used to be called before moving to FM) was bought by WIN Television before the Broadcasting Services Act was imposed.

The Broadcasting Services Act 1992 states that no commercial television station can own a commercial radio station within the same licence area.

If WIN had to sell i98FM when the Broadcasting Services Act was imposed back in 1992, things would've been different on Wollongong radio. If i98FM was bought by, say, Grant Broadcasters, they, along with Wave FM, would provide better music variety than what we have now, and have the station split between the young & the old.

An historical fact is that 2WL (now Wave FM) & 2OO (now i98FM) were always competing with each other since 2OO first went to air on 1st January 1979. After almost 27 years, they're still competing with each other.

WIN also owns C91.3 in Campbelltown, but that's a different situation, seeing that WIN's licence area doesn't cover Campbelltown & the Macarthur region. :P

heheh :P don't worry I read your posts. Its very interesting.

I apologise in advance for 'quartiple-posting'.  :blink:  :P

I was just thinking that since i98FM is owned by WIN Television, it is considered a breach of the Broadcasting Services Act 1992. The fact is that 2OO (what i98FM used to be called before moving to FM) was bought by WIN Television before the Broadcasting Services Act was imposed.

The Broadcasting Services Act 1992 states that no commercial television station can own a commercial radio station within the same licence area.

If WIN had to sell i98FM when the Broadcasting Services Act was imposed back in 1992, things would've been different on Wollongong radio. If i98FM was bought by, say, Grant Broadcasters, they, along with Wave FM, would provide better music variety than what we have now, and have the station split between the young & the old.

An historical fact is that 2WL (now Wave FM) & 2OO (now i98FM) were always competing with each other since 2OO first went to air on 1st January 1979. After almost 27 years, they're still competing with each other.

WIN also owns C91.3 in Campbelltown, but that's a different situation, seeing that WIN's licence area doesn't cover Campbelltown & the Macarthur region.  :P

• 3 weeks later...
Now all you gongers get to listen to is revamped Sydney formats on i98 and WAVE.

Pity.

I do agree with you that Wave FM & i98FM have what you described it as "Sydney formats". Wave FM sounds more like MIX 106.5 & i98FM sounds more like 2Day & Nova.

Whenever I listen to either Wave FM or i98FM, it doesn't give me much point of difference to the Sydney stations in my view.

Plus, Wave & i98 compete with each other so its music variety on both stations are limited. :blink:

Personally, Wollongong commercial radio stations have gone downhill when Wave FM dropped 60s music & minimised its 70s playlist. Before then, Wave FM played good music variety from the 60s to Today & in some way gave myself a point of difference from listening to 2WS (which WS-FM was called at the time) as Wave FM played some 60s, 70s & 80s songs that were not heard on 2WS. I wasn't much of a big fan of listening to i98FM but it sounded better than what it is now. i98FM sounds more like an "urban" station than a regional station in my opinion & they hardly play anything from the 80s these days. i98FM generally only plays music from the 90s & Today.

At least people in Wollongong can tune in to the Sydney FM stations for better alternatives to Wave & i98. :P