Vega953

oliver

Just tried it again this morning and I'm now geeting it :blink:

Satelliteguy

Hello all

Just rang the Vega station and said I could get Vega from Coonabarabran at the site of the telescope (although I think I said satellite doh) & got a prize.

If it was summer maybe they could of some NZ listeners to call in. Any one got oz FM in NZ?

Matt

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all

Just rang the Vega station and said I could get Vega from Coonabarabran at the site of the telescope (although I think I said satellite doh) & got a prize.

If it was summer maybe they could of some NZ listeners to call in. Any one got oz FM in NZ?

Matt

Ahh - so it was you!! Caused a chuckle here at work (which is *not* DMG/Vega/Nova)

Congrats.....

Ahh - so it was you!! Caused a chuckle here at work (which is *not* DMG/Vega/Nova)

Congrats.....

heheh one of the criteria I did not meet was I had to be there or my address is there. I mentioned that to them. They seem not to mind.

Its a very hard thing to prove. In theory they have to call the siding spring observatory and ask someone to go into the car park drive around and try and get it. Although if it was a new car with the fancy aerial I'm not sure if they will get it or not . (see my other post) or maybe if the radio is too cheap as well. :-)

When is vega launched in Melbourne?

It's not formally launched yet. It is due to be launched next month. Vega are still looking for a Melbourne breakfast presenter/team, which will be the only program to be different from what you hear on Vega in Sydney. For example, Angela Catterns is only heard on the Sydney station while other programming for the rest of the day will be heard in both Sydney & Melbourne.

Judging by its music format, I think Vega will be quite successful in Sydney, especially those who have been disenfranchised from WS-FM's move to a Classic Rock format in May 2004.

I'm pretty sure they'll get a lot of listeners from the Illawarra too, who found Wave FM to be more of a MIX-type station & not hearing enough 70s music on the station. Wave FM doesn't play anything from the 60s at all, so Vega should be a breath of fresh air for disenfranchised Wave FM listeners in the Illawarra who enjoyed the stations' "Best Songs Of All Time" format, playing a fair lot of 60s & 70s music.

Vega should do considerably well in Melbourne, especially that a fair load of Vega's playlist isn't heard on Gold 104 in Melbourne. I don't think that Rebecca Wilson/Tony Squires Drive show, which is produced in Sydney, would rate well for Melbourne listeners. The Wendy Harmer morning show, also produced from Sydney, should rate a bit better than Squires/Wilson drive show, considering that Harmer was orginally a Melbournian, despite not being living there for about a decade.

That's my theory on how Vega should go in both cities (including Wollongong in the case of Sydney). :blink:

It's not formally launched yet. It is due to be launched next month. Vega are still looking for a Melbourne breakfast presenter/team, which will be the only program to be different from what you hear on Vega in Sydney. For example, Angela Catterns is only heard on the Sydney station while other programming for the rest of the day will be heard in both Sydney & Melbourne.

Judging by its music format, I think Vega will be quite successful in Sydney, especially those who have been disenfranchised from WS-FM's move to a Classic Rock format in May 2004.

I'm pretty sure they'll get a lot of listeners from the Illawarra too, who found Wave FM to be more of a MIX-type station & not hearing enough 70s music on the station. Wave FM doesn't play anything from the 60s at all, so Vega should be a breath of fresh air for disenfranchised Wave FM listeners in the Illawarra who enjoyed the stations' "Best Songs Of All Time" format, playing a fair lot of 60s & 70s music.

Vega should do considerably well in Melbourne, especially that a fair load of Vega's playlist isn't heard on Gold 104 in Melbourne. I don't think that Rebecca Wilson/Tony Squires Drive show, which is produced in Sydney, would rate well for Melbourne listeners. The Wendy Harmer morning show, also produced from Sydney, should rate a bit better than Squires/Wilson drive show, considering that Harmer was orginally a Melbournian, despite not being living there for about a decade.

That's my theory on how Vega should go in both cities (including Wollongong in the case of Sydney).  :blink:

Vega in melbourne is playing music now? I tuned in on the net and it seems to be playing music.

I like vega but improve its news service to be as good as 2ue/2gb or 3aw. Thats my tip.

Vega in melbourne is playing music now? I tuned in on the net and it seems to be playing music.

Yes, Vega in Melbourne is playing music. It is on some sort of a 'Test Music' mode, playing "40 Years Of Music". Melbourne listeners ATM don't hear programs by Wendy Harmer, Francis Leach, Tony Squires/Rebecca Wilson & Mike Perso. They will eventually be heard in Melbourne when Vega is formally launched next month, after a breakfast presenter is being named.

Whilst on-air, they've had people ringing in reporting their about their reception of Vega, of the more exotic ones, I've heard Mudgee, Lithgow, Canberra, they also have various tunnel relays working, The Edge doesn't work on tunnels like the proper Sydney FMers. :blink:

To add to the exotic reception reports of Vega, Thursday August 4 flying to Brisbane, was hearing them up to around Coffs Harbour on the plane, but then again, I was at 30,000 ft.

--

Mech

To add to the exotic reception reports of Vega, Thursday August 4 flying to Brisbane, was hearing them up to around Coffs Harbour on the plane, but then again, I was at 30,000 ft.

--

Mech

Coffs harbour on coonanbrabran. Hmmm which is further... I think you win.

Maybe I should give my prize to you :-)

I got WS fm near the qld border once. A lot of mates say I shouldn't listen to radio in the plan as it may interfere with the equipment. This guys are not into radio or are pilots. Is that like the talking on the mobile at a petrol pump will cause a fire?

Coffs harbour on coonanbrabran. Hmmm which is further... I think you win.

Maybe I should give my prize to you :-)

I got WS fm near the qld border once. A lot of mates say I shouldn't listen to radio in the plan as it may interfere with the equipment.  This guys are not into radio or are pilots. Is that like the talking on the mobile at a petrol pump will cause a fire?

You can use a radio on a plane provided that it is used only when the aircraft has levelled out. It's only devices that transmit a signal (i.e mobile phones) that you can't use because of the risk of interference.

On the issue of high altitude DX, GTS4's video carrier on 95.25MHz was heard up to around halfway between Adelaide and Perth. Adelaide FM had similar range. Star 104.5 from Gosford was heard up till just past Griffith heading west.

--

Mech

You can use a radio on a plane provided that it is used only when the aircraft has levelled out.  It's only devices that transmit a signal (i.e mobile phones) that you can't use because of the risk of interference.

On the issue of high altitude DX, GTS4's video carrier on 95.25MHz was heard up to around halfway between Adelaide and Perth.  Adelaide FM had similar range.  Star 104.5 from Gosford was heard up till just past Griffith heading west.

--

Mech

I think you are right.

Does your radio transmit a signal too? I know for example if you tune your radio on 98.1 FM and then tune another radio down the dial somewhere it interferes. Wiping out the station ?

I think you are right.

Does your radio transmit a signal too? I know for example if you tune your radio on 98.1 FM and then tune another radio down the dial somewhere it interferes. Wiping out the station ?

I must admit I haven't heard of that before, and I think if that was to happen, it's more than likely that the radio is probably faulty. I could be wrong though.

--

Mech

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all

How you finding VEGA's format ? It such a mix bag I like. Some improvements :

1/ More music from the 60s & 70s. I think they are suppose to catering mostly to baby boomers. At the moment it feels too much like WS & MMM with playing a of rock! At a bit more pop. I hear a lot of midnight oils which I like but its no different from MMM & WS. They play similar modern music to MMM during the day. Anyway I'm happy with the music playing some new stuff and some pop. They play artist like John Farnham which MMM would not touch but play the modern songs too that WS would not play . I heard something from Barry White before thats pretty cool and also they throw in some MIX style music too. Although I think that 60% of the music is rock (which is no different from MMM and WS) which may turn away from people in the 40s and 50s from listening.

2/ News! They need to have a news like 2GB or 2UE. You can't keep up with the news on that station. You have to flick to am. I think the news is lucky to last 2 mins including sport on a weekday.

Overall I don't mind the music but I tend to still listen to AM for news. Its my new music station. When they have talk on I prefer to listen to am. The lifestyle topics on VEGA are not that interesting for me. This station is a not baby boomer station , I think they are targeting people in the late 20s and 30s. Not people in the 40s and above.

Other peoples opinons?

Matt

Definately not aimed for over 40's in fact most of their play list is a huge disappointment for me as a 46YO.

It is fringe music & not the big hits from respective succesfull artists.

When o when will we have middle of the road music (easy listening) on FM?

Basically a step up from 2CH is required which lapses into cringeworthy 40s & 50s music however can still string together some good ones.

Like I have mentioned before a Gold easy listening format is desperately needed in Sydneys FM market , not this present format which has sold out over 40's once again

Definately not aimed for over 40's in fact most of their play list is a huge disappointment for me as a 46YO.

It is fringe music & not the big hits from respective succesfull artists.

When o when will we have middle of the road music (easy listening) on FM?

Basically a step up from 2CH is required which lapses into cringeworthy 40s & 50s music however can still string together some good ones.

Like I have mentioned before a Gold easy listening format is desperately needed in Sydneys FM market , not this present format which has sold out over 40's once again

I'm not sure why FM stations can have a similar format to AM music station with good news and music. Its seems that FM seem to forget about news. WS is ok but it was better when it was 2WS and just converted to FM and didn't change the format at all. I think it was quite successful then.

Matt

How you finding VEGA's format ? It such a mix bag I like.

I like the music played on Vega. They play a much better variety of music than WS-FM.

Some improvements :

1/ More music from the 60s & 70s. I think they are suppose to catering mostly to baby boomers. At the moment it feels too much like WS & MMM with playing a of rock! At a bit more pop. I hear a lot of midnight oils which I like but its no different from MMM & WS. They play similar modern music to MMM during the day.  Anyway I'm happy with the music playing some new stuff and some pop. They play artist like John Farnham which MMM would not touch but play the modern songs too that WS would not play .  I heard something from  Barry White before thats pretty cool and also they throw in some MIX style music too. Although I think that 60% of the music is rock (which is no different from MMM and WS) which may turn away from people in the 40s and 50s from listening. 

Matt

I agree with you there. Vega can sound similar to WS-FM & Triple M at times, but they at least play 60s music that WS-FM wouldn't bother playing. Vega also plays ABBA & Bee Gees which again WS-FM wouldn't bother playing (although WS are starting to re-visit that).

With the radio ratings survey time under way in Wollongong (Sept 4-24), I'd imagine that listeners would be flicking from Wave FM to Vega. Wollongong ratings will be released on October 6th, and while Vega might not be in the survey itself as a seperate station, it should at least illustrate how the local commercial stations in Wollongong, especially Wave FM, are being impacted by Vega.

I think you are right.

Radios generate an IF (Intermediate Frequency). In the case of AM radios it is generally 455 KHz offset from the frequency you are trying to receive.

The IF is "mixed" with the received signal. This creates a "heterodyne" mixing of the frequencies which generates a number of freqencies, including the "difference" between the local oscillator's frequency and the desired receive frequency, which is always 455 KHz.

The demodulator is tuned to work best at 455 KHz and that's how the audio is extracted from the AM signal.

Higher frequency radios may use multiple IF stages.

When one radio interferes with another, it may be the local oscillator of one is flooding the receiver of another, especially if the radios are tuned to stations which differ by an IF offset.

Cheers

JB

Radios generate an IF (Intermediate Frequency). In the case of AM radios it is generally 455 KHz offset from the frequency you are trying to receive.

The IF is "mixed" with the received signal. This creates a "heterodyne" mixing of the frequencies which generates a number of freqencies, including the "difference" between the local oscillator's frequency and the desired receive frequency, which is always 455 KHz.

The demodulator is tuned to work best at 455 KHz and that's how the audio is extracted from the AM signal.

Higher frequency radios may use multiple IF stages.

When one radio interferes with another, it may be the local oscillator of one is flooding the receiver of another, especially if the radios are tuned to stations which differ by an IF offset.

Cheers

JB

So John does that mean its unsafe to listen to a radio in an aeroplane? Been lots of crashes of late!

As I said before back to 2CH[mono] or community radio 90.1FM & FM100.3 I think their honeymoon period is over, well for me at least :blink:

cheers laurie

As I said before back to 2CH[mono] or community radio 90.1FM & FM100.3 I think their honeymoon period is over, well for me at least  :blink:

cheers laurie

And after all the neil diamonds they played too on the test tranmission. I thought we were going to get an oldies station with mostly very old music .

Its seems we get a station which is a hybid of WS / MMM with an occasional song from the 60s which we would hardly hear on radio and odd MIX song too thrown in for good luck. I like it but I'm surprised how similar it is to WS and MMM in music.

But it would of been good to have a station whose prime focus is playing 40/50/60s music. Just something really different. If it was like this I personally would not listen to it full-time but it would add diversity to the Sydney radio market.