Canberra Radio

mgaleano

If 104.7 doesn't have a Jack FM format, then this wouldn't fit with the MMM brand. Plus Adelaide's MMM is on 104.7, which would be a source of confusion.

True, but then again MIX 106.3 with it's Jack FM format wouldn't really the MIX brand either. That's why they should go back to KIX instead. Several years ago 104.7 was very similar to MMM (& not 2DAY) in sydney, with similiar beds, ids & voiceovers etc. They could've been a MMM then. Just calling it 104.7 i think is a bit bland.

Edited by POWERZONE

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, but then again MIX 106.3 with it's Jack FM format wouldn't really the MIX brand either. That's why they should go back to KIX instead.

Another ARN-owned MIX-branded station that could be said to have a 'Jack FM' format is MIX 102.3 (formerly 5AD) in Adelaide. From the little I heard of the station or having looked at the "now playing" feature on their website, they play quite a significant amount of rock tracks on the station, almost like MIX 106.3 in Canberra. MIX in Sydney & Melbourne, as well as 97.3FM in Brisbane, are still very female-skewed & therefore don't play as many 'heavy' rock tracks as MIX in Canberra & Adelaide does.

When KIX went to MIX it was one of the biggest format changes you could make.

From 1988 to 1990 this is how it panned out.

2CA was "solid gold", a bit like 2WS

2CC was "classic hits" like 2UW

FM 104.7 used a format similar to FOXFM but it's playlist was like that of MMM (one new, one old, but all rocky)

KIXFM presented it's "hard rock", (more newer stuff) in the same way as 96.1 currently presents "hip hop/r&B" today.

There was nothing quite like it anywhere in OZ!

Unfortunately, both FM stations didn't rate highly enough against 2CC, so 104.7 went more towards 2DAY and KIX went MIX.

The other disadvantage for FM in Canberra is that it doesn't penetrate into many areas because of the hilly terrain (especially in the tuggeranong area which over the years has become a large % of the population). But recently MIX installed a repeater in the area at 107.1

In between KIX and MIX, 106.3 was known for a while (around 1995-1997?) as "Canberra FM".

I'm not sure what the music format was, but I have a feeling it was something like 'soft rock' (old and new).

I'm a bit surprised to read that 2CC used to outrate both 104.7 and KIX.

It would have been a bit unusual for an AM pop/rock station to outrate their FM counterparts in the late 80s/early 90s.

This was not the case anywhere else.

My recollection was that FM104.7 won the music battle, which forced KIX to try something else and for 2CC to go talk/music.

2DAY and FOX also both used to be 'rockier' in the 90s than they are now. I see this as a similar evolution to that of 104.7 (and pretty much all of the Today Network stations), which are now a mix of R&B, Hip-Hop, Pop, Rock.

104.7 now also as a Tuggeranong repeater (on 100.7).

I've recently heard that JJJ and Classic FM won't have their Tuggeranong repeaters on for another 12 months.

Not sure about SBS.

The frequencies 95.9, 99.1 and 103.1 have been reserved for these 3 services.

I'm a bit surprised to read that 2CC used to outrate both 104.7 and KIX.

It would have been a bit unusual for an AM pop/rock station to outrate their FM counterparts in the late 80s/early 90s.

This was not the case anywhere else.

It happens when you have too many stations trying to do the same thing. 2CC was aiming at a broad 25-40 market and 104.7 and KIX were both aiming at the younger market (in 1988). So while the 2 FM stations combined may have outrated 2CC, individually they couldn't. We have a similiar issue in Sydney today, If you shut down NOVA & MIX then 2DAY would dominate the market.

Also the very poor signal to the south ( tuggeranong ) didn't help the FM stations either.

• 4 weeks later...

The latest Nielsen radio ratings for Canberra have been released today.

666 ABC Canberra - 18.7%

FM104.7 - 18.6%

MIX 106.3 - 17.4%

Triple J - 9%

2CC - 7.9%

ABC Radio National - 7.6%

2CA - 6.6%

ABC Classic FM - 6.2%

ABC Newsradio - 3.4%

Source: Jocks Journal

2CA, with its Easy Listening/Classic Hits "The Best Songs Of All Time" format, has gained quite a bit of disenfranchised MIX 106.3 listeners, which its ratings increased by 2.3% from the previous survey. And it's not hard to see why, when you look at some the songs that were played in the half-hour of 2-2:30pm today (I can get 2CA faintly, but audible, at home):

"You To Me Are Everything" Real Thing

"A Good Heart" Feargal Sharkey

"Elenore" The Turtles

"Layla (Unplugged)" Eric Clapton

"Marrakesh Express" Crosbys, Stills & Nash

MIX 106.3 are not very likely to play most of the above mentioned songs on normal programming, as their music format is more rock-oriented & focusing on more of the newer (80s to today) music than 2CA.

The latest Nielsen radio ratings for Canberra have been released today.

666 ABC Canberra - 18.7%

FM104.7 - 18.6%

MIX 106.3 - 17.4%

Triple J - 9%

2CC - 7.9%

ABC Radio National - 7.6%

2CA - 6.6%

ABC Classic FM - 6.2%

ABC Newsradio - 3.4%

Source: Jocks Journal

2CA, with its Easy Listening/Classic Hits "The Best Songs Of All Time" format, has gained quite a bit of disenfranchised MIX 106.3 listeners, which its ratings increased by 2.3% from the previous survey. And it's not hard to see why, when you look at some the songs that were played in the half-hour of 2-2:30pm today (I can get 2CA faintly, but audible, at home):

"You To Me Are Everything" Real Thing

"A Good Heart" Feargal Sharkey

"Elenore" The Turtles

"Layla (Unplugged)" Eric Clapton

"Marrakesh Express" Crosbys, Stills & Nash

MIX 106.3 are not very likely to play most of the above mentioned songs on normal programming, as their music format is more rock-oriented & focusing on more of the newer (80s to today) music than 2CA.

A good selection of songs. Vega should copy the 2CA format :). I am not sure if WS plays those songs with current format?

"You To Me Are Everything" Real Thing -> No

"A Good Heart" Feargal Sharkey --> Yes

"Elenore" The Turtles --> No

"Layla (Unplugged)" Eric Clapton --> No

"Marrakesh Express" Crosbys, Stills & Nash --> No

I am excluding special shows like My generation. Although to be honest I have not listen closely to WS for sometime. Can someone out there advise if any of these 2CA songs would be played on the normal WS playlist?

A good selection of songs. Vega should copy the 2CA format :).

I agree. After all, in a smaller market than Sydney, 2CA rates better than Vega.

I am not sure if WS plays those songs with current format?

WS-FM does play the unplugged version of "Layla" by Eric Clapton from time to time in normal programming.

Can someone out there advise if any of these 2CA songs would be played on the normal WS playlist?

I'm guessing there wouldn't be many songs that are played on 2CA that would've been part of the normal WS-FM playlist. When comparing with a Canberra station, a lot of the music heard on WS-FM would've most likely to be heard on MIX 106.3, rather than 2CA.

Mgaleano, if you're able to get 1053 2CA at night, check out the music played on the station for yourself if you have a chance. :)

A good selection of songs. Vega should copy the 2CA format :). I am not sure if WS plays those songs with current format?

"You To Me Are Everything" Real Thing -> No

"A Good Heart" Feargal Sharkey --> Yes

"Elenore" The Turtles --> No

"Marrakesh Express" Crosbys, Stills & Nash --> No

I am excluding special shows like My generation. Although to be honest I have not listen closely to WS for sometime. Can someone out there advise if any of these 2CA songs would be played on the normal WS playlist?

This used to 2WS's format in the mid 90's (and it used the "best songs of all time format"), 2WS did rate well at the time, but had only MIX for competion,

OH, it was crap back then too (they both were), Celine dion every day! Park the tiger!

Back OT (or is it OT?) I'm surprised 2CC doesn't rate very well, there's a bit of talk around that programs relayed from Sydney are unpopular in other cities compared to local product. Melbourne and Brisbane, clearly don't like Sydney

product.......add Canberra to that list.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

MIX 106.3 has replaced "The Retro Lounge", which played 70s & 80s music, with "Awesome 80s" at 12pm weekdays.

Over the past 10 years, MIX 106.3's 12-1pm slot has gone through changes, as the evolutionary process progresses.

Looking at old MIX 106.3's websites from Internet Archive, as well as my memory, MIX 106.3's lunch hour (12-1pm) went like this:

Late 1990s (possibly) to 2003 - 70s Lunch

2003 to 2007 - The Retro Lounge

2007 to present - Awesome 80s

That means Canberra has two 'receivable' 80s lunch hours, with MIX 106.3 & 2GN/2XL having them (2GN & 2XL's 80s lunch hour is the same as one another, ie. combined).

• 1 month later...
Anyhow, I have a question in relation to Canberra radio stations.

FM Radio callsigns of stations in Canberra & the ACT seem to have prefix of either '1' or '2' ie. they are not all one or the other

eg. 1ART, 1WAY, 1CMS, 1XXR, 1CBR, 1VFM but there's also 2ABC, 2JJJ, 2SBS, 2PB and 2ROC

Does anyone know why this is so?

I read on aus.radio.broadcast that since around the mid-1990s, the ABA decided that radio stations in the ACT must have a '1' prefix instead of the NSW '2' prefix. For instance, 2ABC, 2JJJ, 2SBS, 2PB & 2ROC went to air before the ABA decided on the '1' prefix for all ACT stations after the mid-90s. 1CBR first started on-air with the callsign 2KIX back in 1988, but after changing it's on-air name from KIX to Canberra FM, the callsign was changed to 1CBR.

I read on aus.radio.broadcast that since around the mid-1990s, the ABA decided that radio stations in the ACT must have a '1' prefix instead of the NSW '2' prefix. For instance, 2ABC, 2JJJ, 2SBS, 2PB & 2ROC went to air before the ABA decided on the '1' prefix for all ACT stations after the mid-90s. 1CBR first started on-air with the callsign 2KIX back in 1988, but after changing it's on-air name from KIX to Canberra FM, the callsign was changed to 1CBR.

Ah, thanks for that...

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 months later...

According to Jocks Journal, as well as through MIX 106.3/FM104.7 press release that is accessed through the Jocks Journal website, here are the latest radio ratings figures for Canberra.

Canberra - Survey 1, 2008

FM104.7 - 22.9% (+ 4.3%)

666 ABC - 18.9% (+ 0.2%)

MIX 106.3 - 12.6% (- 4.8%)

Triple J - 8.9% (- 0.1%)

2CC - 8.1% (+ 0.2%)

ABC Classic FM - 7.3% (+ 1.1%)

2CA - 6.7% (+ 0.1%)

ABC Radio National - 6.7% (- 0.9%)

ABC Newsradio - 2.7% (- 0.7%)

Source: AC Neilsen, Canberra 1/2008, via Jocks Journal

According to Jocks Journal, as well as through MIX 106.3/FM104.7 press release that is accessed through the Jocks Journal website, here are the latest radio ratings figures for Canberra.

Canberra - Survey 1, 2008

FM104.7 - 22.9% (+ 4.3%)

666 ABC - 18.9% (+ 0.2%)

MIX 106.3 - 12.6% (- 4.8%)

Triple J - 8.9% (- 0.1%)

2CC - 8.1% (+ 0.2%)

ABC Classic FM - 7.3% (+ 1.1%)

2CA - 6.7% (+ 0.1%)

ABC Radio National - 6.7% (- 0.9%)

ABC Newsradio - 2.7% (- 0.7%)

Source: AC Neilsen, Canberra 1/2008, via Jocks Journal

I think it is indicative of the state of ARN's Mix network that in a market of only two commercial FMs, they can't even come second. Any commercial with JJJ on its heels needs to watch out. It's also a very big drop from last rating too.

This is on the assumption that 106.3 is not much different to Mix 101.1 Melbourne and 106.5 Sydney...

• 3 months later...

In canberra for the next 3 days.

My focus has been listening to 2CA. I brought down my AM Stereo radio to listen. The sound is OK. A little disappointed. I think perhaps 2CA is not broadcasting on wide band as much as the clips I have heard on the web. I flicked over to FM it sounds better. However i have no regrets the sony radio is good and it sounds better than Mono.

Anyway I have been listening to the music and its good. I don't know how many repeats it has. It certainly reminds me of 2UW in the early 90s except it doesn't play quite as many 60s as UW did.

Its different from 2CH/MIX but it easy listening. No Midnight Oils/INXS or ACDC. There is a gap in Sydney radio for this format and it would do nicely if Vega/WS or 2SM decided to move in that direction. It has more artists like Neil Diamond, Oliva Newton John, Billy Joel (but they played a different track I had not heard for ages).

Personally I would like to hear the Oils as well but it makes a nice change. A lot of baby boomers would like this station.

In canberra for the next 3 days.

My focus has been listening to 2CA. I brought down my AM Stereo radio to listen. The sound is OK. A little disappointed. I think perhaps 2CA is not broadcasting on wide band as much as the clips I have heard on the web. I flicked over to FM it sounds better. However i have no regrets the sony radio is good and it sounds better than Mono.

Anyway I have been listening to the music and its good. I don't know how many repeats it has. It certainly reminds me of 2UW in the early 90s except it doesn't play quite as many 60s as UW did.

Its different from 2CH/MIX but it easy listening. No Midnight Oils/INXS or ACDC. There is a gap in Sydney radio for this format and it would do nicely if Vega/WS or 2SM decided to move in that direction. It has more artists like Neil Diamond, Oliva Newton John, Billy Joel (but they played a different track I had not heard for ages).

Personally I would like to hear the Oils as well but it makes a nice change. A lot of baby boomers would like this station.

Reception of 2CA hasn't been real good up here in Newcastle for a while now, so I can't comment on the AM Stereo sound, but the music is quite good.

Did you listen to 2GN on the way down? If not have a listen on the way back, I'd like to know your thoughts on the format.

I'd go as far as saying the 2GN Goulburn/2XL Cooma, Forever Classic format & music is the best in the Country (as in Aust. not farm) I listen at least a few times a week of a night, both 2GN & 2XL reception is good here most nights.

This format & music playlist is missing from Aus & has been for some time, I just wish 2HD Newcastle or someone in Sydney, (2SM or Vega) would take up this format. I think it would do well in a city market.

Hopefully 2GN will get their web stream up & working soon so I can listen of an afternoon & weekends (day).

Cheers

GlennP.

Reception of 2CA hasn't been real good up here in Newcastle for a while now, so I can't comment on the AM Stereo sound, but the music is quite good.

Did you listen to 2GN on the way down? If not have a listen on the way back, I'd like to know your thoughts on the format.

I'd go as far as saying the 2GN Goulburn/2XL Cooma, Forever Classic format & music is the best in the Country (as in Aust. not farm) I listen at least a few times a week of a night, both 2GN & 2XL reception is good here most nights.

This format & music playlist is missing from Aus & has been for some time, I just wish 2HD Newcastle or someone in Sydney, (2SM or Vega) would take up this format. I think it would do well in a city market.

Hopefully 2GN will get their web stream up & working soon so I can listen of an afternoon & weekends (day).

Cheers

GlennP.

2CA kinda of sounds like Dolby C or a non Dolby cassette. Some freq you can hear in stereo others it is difficult to hear. It seems that the freq range is limited. That the best way of describing it. I don't have the gear to record it.

I have not listen to 2GN yet or 2XL. I have to satisfy other passengers in the car. :)

2CA kinda of sounds like Dolby C or a non Dolby cassette. Some freq you can hear in stereo others it is difficult to hear. It seems that the freq range is limited. That the best way of describing it. I don't have the gear to record it.

I have not listen to 2GN yet or 2XL. I have to satisfy other passengers in the car. :)

I listened to 2GN on the way back. It played some good music it was less easy listening that 2CA. It played a song from Mel & kim which i have not heard for years. 2GN lasted to about Mittagong. So I listened to 2ST 102.9 FM. I don't think the quality was great as usual but the mix was ok. More modern than I expected. The reception was good all the way to the M7. Actually I think its better than C91.3 in parts. I'm not sure if you agree with me DTV_Campbelltown. It might be hard to compare as the sound quality is only Mono.

My focus has been listening to 2CA. I have been listening to the music and its good. I don't know how many repeats it has. It certainly reminds me of 2UW in the early 90s except it doesn't play quite as many 60s as UW did.

Have you had a listen to a bit of MIX 106.3 whilst you were there? They're using the "Widest Variety Of Music" positioner that 2GO in the Central Coast & KO-FM in Newcastle uses. Also, MIX's music format is fairly similar to that of 2GO/KO.

I can understand you wanting to listen to 2CA, as it is different to most other commercial music stations that targets an older audience. Also, it does rate quite well in the Canberra market, especially for a commercial music AM station.

I listened to 2GN on the way back. It played some good music it was less easy listening that 2CA. It played a song from Mel & kim which i have not heard for years. 2GN lasted to about Mittagong.

Most of the time, whenever I flicked over to 2GN/2XL (which is usually during the night, though I can get 2GN quite faintly at home during the day), they just play the same songs that I would hear on WS-FM or Vega most of the time. But unlike WS-FM or Vega, they do throw in a "wow" track from time to time that you might not hear on either of those Sydney stations.

So I listened to 2ST 102.9 FM. I don't think the quality was great as usual but the mix was ok. More modern than I expected. The reception was good all the way to the M7. Actually I think its better than C91.3 in parts. I'm not sure if you agree with me DTV_Campbelltown. It might be hard to compare as the sound quality is only Mono.

Re reception of 2ST vs C91.3, at my home location in Minto, C91.3 comes in clearer than 2ST. You're right that it is hard to compare the signal quality between C91.3 & 2ST.

As for the music mix on 2ST, have a look at the hourly playlist from them that I posted on Media Spy here: http://www.mediaspy.org/forum/index.php?s=...st&p=486105

Also, you can make comments about 2CA, 2GN/2XL & 2ST on Media Spy in the "Regional Radio (Non-Macquarie)" thread here: http://www.mediaspy.org/forum/index.php?sh...&start=1000

It'll get some people on Media Spy talking about those stations. ;)

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
2CA & 2CC are now streaming online! :)

They can be accessed from their websites, which are:

2CA - www.2ca.com.au

2CC - www.radio2cc.com

About 100km south of Canberra, the Cooma commercial stations, 2XL & Snow FM, are now also streaming online.

Was in Canberra over Christmas. Is 2CA no longer transmitting in AM Stereo?

I tried tuning in on my AM stereo system and it sounded mono! Anyone out there can verify?