Show us your Turntables!!!

I was hoping to soon be showing off my new purchase that I missed out on.....:emot-bang::emot-bang::emot-bang::emot-bang::emot-bang:  A Connoisseur BD1 with Grace G707 tonearm for $60!!! It was on Aussie Audio Mart and I contacted the guy, said I wanted it and would offer him more to get it. He said he had a guy coming on Wednesday to check it out and if he didn't buy it (as if he wouldn't!!!:wacko:) he would let me know. I reluctantly kissed it goodbye.......and the inevitable email telling me it was sold arrived this afternoon. I just wanted that arm so badly:love.......a fu**ing bargain.......given away, to someone else! :(:(:( Oh well..........I just had to vent!;)

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 1

Ok here was a difficult project it seemed.

How to get an arm on an AR EB101.

I bought one for 80 GBP.  Cheap I thought. Pressed buy now b4 any rational thought.

I used to luv these back in the 80's but in them days could not afford much.

Cost about $360 Aussie by the time shipped here.  The 80 didn't look so small any more. And no arm!

Then discovered it was an English version with only a small amount of room for a foreign arm!

Then discovered to more horror it was pivot to spindle of about 213 mm when most of my arms were 222mm.

So it sat sadly in a pile of other turntables for 18 months while I thought about it.

Then I sprang to action!  What else to do in Easter :) ?

I was pleasantly surprised to find that Simon Brown's Wand mount plate fitted just neatly inside the T-Bar

suspended chassis. I just had to do some metal work to extend the hole for enough room for a 222 arm.

It just fitted in the plinth hole also. You can also fortunately get an allen key in from top to adjust the VTA.

The TT Gods were smiling. Rest of set up was straight forward.

So I'm back on the belt drive wagon again ... :)

Pauly.

table.jpg

T-Bar-mod.jpg

• Like 10

A little Garrard TA MkII turntable I restored over the last couple of days.  Didn't take much, just the usual cleaning, oiling, freeing up frozen speed change, and adjustment. They sure built well back then.  Knocked up a simple plinth, and now enjoying some older spins.   The two headshells both have Stanton mag carts, a 400 in one, and a 500 with 78 stylus in the other.  Probably should get a new idler - this one is a little rumbly - the rubber is a bit hard, although it is driving well.

45.jpg

78.jpg

none.jpg

Edited by aussievintage
  • Like 5

My recently completed, highly modified, ex-commercial use Venco 'Farrago'. Once I get the wow, flutter, and rumble sorted, it will compete with other turntables.......

DSC_0985.thumb.JPG.c7af43570ba2ab4b4e3fd10718f37f2d.JPG

Fancy pottery wheel!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Guest Hensa
I have been umming and ahhing about what to do with my second SL-10... even contemplating selling it, although it's been refurbished by Chris Kimil and they're so user friendly so I decided to keep it. 

Strung it up today with a modest pair of Focal actives fed by a modest Lehmann Black Cube... surprisingly enjoyable. I wonder if the wife will notice if I wall mount it somewhere? 

[mention=109110]alistairm[/mention] since I sold my SL-10 to you I have always wondered if I did the right thing. Well today I messaged a lady who was clearing space and had an old Technics to sell. She was negotiable on price but I agreed $50 was a good deal. 
Its all there and all working. It was too much to ask that the cantilever on the EPC-310 not be broken... still the manual and optic block sheets are all there. May send the cart for re-tip. It's had a quick polish all over and looks new now. Just going to use an Audio Technica P Mount for now. 

IMG_0329.thumb.JPG.4e763cd617ef198e5a19b4bacbae09d6.JPG
IMG_0330.thumb.JPG.f44729d92a7b83dc1a562a588ccf7558.JPG
IMG_0331.thumb.JPG.2d41a8da588b15698abd43324225bd40.JPG

That looks brilliant! Welcome back to the Technics linear club! When I want to give my 310 a break, I slot in an Ortofon OMP-20 or Pickering TMZ-22E. The Ortofon is very good. The Pickering is a quite exceptional MM - available from William Thakker and highly recommended!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 01/04/2017 at 0:11 AM, dwbasement said:

New toy for a mono setup, Sansui SR212, it has a Shure M95ED I think, can't wait to get the mono cart next week...20170331_235641.jpg20170331_235940.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

My first ever turntable I bought new back in 1976, part of a Sansui TT / Receiver and speaker trio Sansui called on the pamphlet 'True HiFi system' , cost around AUS$450 for the lot back then, which I was paying off a bit every week on lay buy [remember that].... I ended up paying for it a lot quicker than the people at the store thought I would, I remember they seemed quite surprised at the time.

Served me well for several years until things got out of hand, and the HiFi bug really hit around 1978.

There's one on Ebay going for $350 ATM .... Inflation?

Edited by Tweaky
  • Like 1

My first ever turntable I bought new back in 1976, part of a Sansui TT / Receiver and speaker trio Sansui called on the pamphlet 'True HiFi system' , cost around AUS$450 for the lot back then, which I was paying off a bit every week on lay buy [remember that].... I ended up paying for it a lot quicker than the people at the store thought I would, I remember they seemed quite surprised at the time.
Served me well for several years until things got out of hand, and the HiFi bug really hit around 1978.

There's one on Ebay going for $350 ATM .... Inflation?

Certainly a very nice TT given its age, I am surprised how good it sounds with the mono cart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree, considering all the dancing about that was happening close to that TT at the time, it never ever skipped, actually if memory serves me correctly, it was quite a well suspended platter, quite wobbley like a Thorens 160.

I haven't run a TT in a few years , while looking for a old guitar effects processor for a mates kid yesterday, I found a Dynavector 501 Tonearm that I forgot about [seen better days] and that got me looking at this thread again........it's also got me just about to pull the trigger on a Denon DP80 motor unit from Japan :unsure:

• Like 1

Guest Hensa
Latest acquisition.
Resized_20170502_124438_001.thumb.jpeg.100c6c469c4680782dbbbfd770bac87d.jpeg

PL-50L? Wonderful deck - congrats! What cart are you running?

8 hours ago, Newman said:

Mark 1?Any thoughts? 

It's the Mark III, mono version. It is certainly very good, but being single coil is subject to some ground hum, and will shortly be replaced with a Lyra Kleos mono.

However, I liked the 501 mono enough to buy the stereo version as well, although I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hensa said:

PL-50L? Wonderful deck - congrats! What cart are you running?

Yes PL-50L thank you it has a Shure M95ED on there at the moment and I'm thinking of putting on a DL110 for the time being see how that goes and when I get some money together I'd like to get a 103R or maybe an Ortofon I'm not sure yet.

Any suggestions otherwise?

Guest jakeyb77
10 minutes ago, BATMAQN said:

Yes PL-50L thank you it has a Shure M95ED on there at the moment and I'm thinking of putting on a DL110 for the time being see how that goes and when I get some money together I'd like to get a 103R or maybe an Ortofon I'm not sure yet.

I have a wood body 103s I can let you have for a steal. See if the arm will hold the weight and PM me. 

Guest Hensa

In addition to Jakey's 103, I'd recommend something like the Benz Ace or Zyx R50. Both have a hint of fullness/warmth about them so only suitable if you like that sound signature.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Paul.   It does look pretty cool if I must say so myself. :)

Very happy we did not fcuk up the armboard hole and screws - but my Uncle did a great job after I got a riser and template from Warwick @ Puremusic.

cheers

11 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Thanks Paul.   It does look pretty cool if I must say so myself. :)

Very happy we did not fcuk up the armboard hole and screws - but my Uncle did a great job after I got a riser and template from Warwick @ Puremusic.

cheers

How does it sound? How does it compare top it's previous setup?

To Top