Worth updating cartridge?

I've recently picked up a Denon DP 30L-ii TT. Currently it is running a Denon DL-60 cartridge. When I played Daft Punk's RAM through my ME 25/75 combo it sounded very dark, bass heavy and recessed. Being new at this vinyl caper I'm not sure if that was to be expected or how to tell if the existing cart/stylus needs replacing. So I am wondering if it would benefit from something like a new AT95e or Ortofun OM10? The music collection it will end up playing includes Black Sabbath, Slade, Foreigner, Toto, Joe Cocker type stuff - dunno if that helps.

Tracking force and anti skate have been checked and reset. I should also say that the TT will be used with sub $100 phono (likely Project or Nad PPx) into a cambridge audio 340A in its final config.

95e is rolled everywhere. some folks like it that way. can work ok with old rock music.

om10, an ok cart. prolly one of more neutral carts in the price range. if i have low dosh i'd use it for classical music which is my staple.

either way, i'd rather listen to digital...ok 95e might be fun sounding on occasions.

I don't disagree on the digital thing but this setup isn't for me so it doesn't really matter. 

Would a worn out or old cart lead to muffled sound or is that likely a symptom of the TT itself? 

The existing cart and stylus could be 40 years old and with a lot of wear  and as a new Ortofon OM10 can be had for under $50 you should defiantly change it.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ortofon-OM-10-Cartridge-/152531517732?hash=item2383964124:g:JckAAOSww9xZBn8c

It could only sound better.

Edited by EV Cali

6 minutes ago, Jone5y said:

Hmmm, definitely no Phono on the one I've got - AUX, CD, Tuner, AV/MD, Rec out and Tape in are what I can see.

Thanks for the link, that's exactly what i was thinking of.

Yes I was looking at the wrong one!!!!

It hasn't seen the Slade album yet. The system is going to my parents who have a rather varied collection. I bought them RAM as an example of some modern vinyl and gave it a spin myself to test. Was definitely very underwhelming hence seeking the input of stereonet's analog gurus.

I'm kinda looking forward to listening to a few oldies that i remember from my childhood when i do hand it over. Can't recall Slade ever getting a run though. The old man must've mellowed after having kids.

• Like 1

My only experience with Denon MM carts is the DL107 which while nice, isn't really my cup of tea. Having said that I'd get a new Jico needle just to see how it sounds. If the DL107 had a better tip than elliptical it would be a world beater.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Pleased to report the OM10 has transformed the sound coming out of this deck. I even managed to install and calibrate it without breaking anything.

It still has bass that rattles loose objects at quite moderate listening levels but overall the balance and detail is much better, clearer and more forward. 

Thanks to all who responded

• Like 3