SOLD: FS: Elektra Pre Amplifier & Reference Power Amplifier

SOLD

Item: Elektra tube Preamp and Elektra Reference Power Amp
Price: $3000 for the pair or $1600 each (firm). Replacement cost today around $8.5k (for slightly improved models)
Item Condition: Excellent. 1 tiny knick on the top edge of the pre amp but would need to show in person to find it.
Reason for selling: reducing box count
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info:

Pick up preferred. I don't have original packaging but can get some at additional cost from the manufacturer.

This combo is the easily the best 2 bits of stereo electronics I've ever owned :loveand preference will go to those looking for the pair as a real shame to split them up. I guess you would call it entry level high end gear based on replacement cost, but even then, like quite a few locally designed and manufactured electronics, punch well above their retail price points. Am moving on to buy an all in one integrated the family can use, although I'll probably sacrifice sound quality in the process. My Audiolab 8200 CD (which is actually a DAC that can play CD's) will also go under the hammer shortly.

Purchased this combo (which was previously owned by SNA moderator @joz) early 2016 as wanted amplification powerful enough to try out some Maggie's and had never owned tube gear before. They were a great match but I ultimately moved the Maggie's on. They also took my Focal Chorus 826W's to new heights, but now have highly efficient speakers so want to look into other lower power options.

Since owning this combo I've had a couple of upgrades by Arthur Rappos, the designer and manufacturer. Had a completely new set of tubes installed in the pre in Sept 16 and had Arthur modify the power amp with new soft start protection circuit & internal changes so it switches off via 12v trigger within a second or 2 of turning off the pre amp, previously it took around 90 seconds to power down such are the reserves of power in the caps. This was not a fault, just the way it was originally designed. These modifications were done whilst checking everything over and given a clean bill of health.

The power amp was replaced in the Elektra range by the Reference HD in 2015 for a bit more power and the Preamplifier was only superseded in the last 12 months to give an extra 2 balanced inputs at the expense of 1 set of RCA inputs and 1 set of RCA pre outs I believe. 

Pre features

• HT bypass,
  • 3 sets of RCA pre outs for bi/tri-amping. 
  • 1 set of XLR pre outs
  • 4 RCA inputs & 1 set of Balanced inputs.
  • 12v trigger.
  • Remote control is volume only

Reference power amp features

• 2 x 250W into 8 ohm, doubling down to 500w into 4 ohm, stable with 2 ohm loads @ (I'm told) somewhere near 900w.
  • 2 sets of binding posts,
  • Balanced or RCA inputs

Pictures:

e3a71dfe394d2b3acc2da1f4711d34e3.jpg

Edited by blybo
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Wiffle said:

ohh man, I so want that preamp!!! I suspect a local buyer will snap it up though; being in Wollongong makes a pickup difficult!!!! GLWTS

Steve :-)

It's only a 8 hour drive!

I can get packaging as Arthur has confirmed the new pre uses the same packaging as chassis is identical.

18 hours ago, mattjtaylor2809 said:

Im assuming the pre doesn't come with a remote?

Cheers

Matt

It does actually, but volume only. Moot point as already spoken for though.

• Like 1