Recommendation for a AV Processor

I am thinking of getting a AV processor and short listed ;

Anthem -60 , Emotiva - XMC - 1 and Primare SP 33 .

4K capability is not a priority.

your suggestions are appreciated.

Cheers ,

Robert

hi field,

the marantz av7702 mk2 if can get hold off, marantz have promised to fully upgrade to latest spec so can buy and dont need to spend extra on latest gen :)

http://www.qualifi.com.au/~rightlef/index.php?page=shop.product_details&product_id=58641&flypage=vmj_genx_SR.tpl&pop=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1103

primare... its a lot of money...pay for the upgradeable platform and like nad as they have just dumped with gen gone bet you they cant be upgraded to next gen of what ever...

if 4k not a priority look out for the marantz av8801 its a lovely piece. 

• Like 1

Robert,

Based on your shortlist ............ATMOS and DTS-X don't appear to be priorities either.

If that is the case then I don't understand why you wouldn't consider the Integra DHC 80.3

It does everything plus more than your other contenders and includes the very highly regarded Audyssey XT32 Room EQ.

If that's not enough it's SQ is sublime and it's available RIGHT NOW for around just $1K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Integra-DHC-80-3-9-2-Channel-Network-A-V-Controller-/132299076579?hash=item1ecda3b3e3:g:m3kAAOSwnbZYI~VY

An absolute NO BRAINER...........IMHO and IME

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, field said:

Thanks , AI  I will looking to Av 7702 MK 2.

keep in mind a super ceded unit, so would take some hunting to find, but as @Kaynin found with his av8801 with help from cav locally worth the chase especially if can pick up at a good price ! :) and should be able to at some discount over current model you'd expect.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, field said:

Thanks , AI  I will looking to Av 7702 MK 2.

JohnL , looks like a steal but only issue , I see is that it is a refurbished unit 

Cheers ,

Robert

Yeah..............refurbished by the Australian Integra Distributor.

You say it like you think it's a bad thing!!!!!!!!!

Probably just got the new HDMI replacement board and is ready to go for the next 10 years trouble free if required.

I know for a fact that original RRP for this unit was over $4K..........and THAT is the level of performance it gives.

Anyway..........I've had mine in a pretty high end system for 4.5 years without a single issue and hope it lasts at least another 4.5 years!!!! 

BTW.....You don't have to take just my word for it................

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/review-integra-dhc-803-av-controller

Don't understand why you would look at a $4K Marantz AV7702 MK2

Unless you have changed your mind about ATMOS and DTS-X.............or have cash to burn. 

Edited by JohnL
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JohnL said:

Yeah..............refurbished by the Australian Integra Distributor.

You say it like you think it's a bad thing!!!!!!!!!

I would prefer to buy refurbished rather than new! at least I know that a tech has taken the time to look over it and replace any parts that have had a history of fail.

I have had 5 of these refurb units from Ambertech and not one issue yet.

They also have the 80.6 and 60.7 pre's and a 80.6 and poweramp combo.

If i could afford all the separate amplification I would have one in a heartbeat.

• Like 3

This is what sucks about Integra. If you want the AKG DAC's you have to settle for AccuEQ for room correction. If you want Audyssey you end up with Burr Brrown DAC's. And possible not dual subwoofer calibration?

The 80.3 has dual sub calibration via Xt32 processing as does the Marantz (which can be had for more like $2k).
The choice comes down to house sound if atmos or 4K is not a priority. Marantz is a warmer, full bodied sound, where Integra is crisp and detailed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, kukynas said:

Not sure about Marantz but latest models of Denon using AKM chips so I would asume Marantz too, main difference is preamp stage 

If have a peep at opening post in thread below,  it has a link which contains a bit of detail and some uploaded files with photos etc on the marantz pre amps,

eep 

21 minutes ago, kukynas said:

@:) al my bad, I just realized this thread is about AVPs not AVRs :sorry:

Ah there are some similarities. Eg as have found myself the denon avrs, particularly if go up the tree can make for good av processors :)

however both denon and marantz when put mind to it, can do excellent dedicatedprocessors as well, and put quite some effort. I previously owned the denon flagship processor and marantz one since :) 

On ‎20‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 5:48 PM, field said:

Hi field ; only to give some emo feedback depending on your budget and only if you do perceive the eventual need to go down the hdmi 4k  and object audio route in the future the emo xmc1 has advantages as it is modular in design and has 2 versions of dirac live to choose from [ as used by $ datasat ] not to mention very comprehensive parametric room eq that interacts well with the REW app .. It has a number of hdmi versions atm and these are soon to be joined by another..

Its also got completely balanced input to output 2ch analog circuitry with common mode noise reduction if you like a truly clean analog passthrough ; something not available in a multichannel pre pro at this price point ..

Your also investing in cutting edge components like the dae 777 processor which incorporates asynchronous jitter reduction through an ASRC ;

The Momentum Data Systems (MDS) DSP board cited in the document (DAE 77) includes an ASRC between the two DSPs. This, or similar, Momentum Data Systems boards can be identified in several premium-priced Pre/Pros. Some Momentum Data Systems boards have lower cost DACs on the board to simplify a prototype design. I have been surprised to see MDS boards with these DACs included on some very expensive Pre/Pros

http://hometheaterhifi.com/technical/technical-reviews/avr-audio-video-receiver-build-quality-part-iii-component-choices-for-a-high-performance-design/

Good luck with your choice ; some good suggestions have been made ; the ones with good auto room eq :)

Edited by cwt
  • Like 1

On 20/08/2017 at 5:18 PM, field said:

Cheers ,

Robert

For the price, the Marantz SR 6012 is hard to beat. 11.2 processing and you get a free 9 channel amp!!!

32 minutes ago, field said:

Thanks for all the suggestions much appreciated. Now it's time to go thru them and make a decision.

Cheers,

Robert

Can I suggest that you wait until next year when the HDMI 2.1 AV Processors come out?

It's important for HDR10+ and 8k+ video.

Edited by Serpeant

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 months later...

ARCAM 850 if you can afford it. Extremely musical and in a top end system with care for cabling and isolation it IMO leaves others behind. You can also go for less power and still have the same electronics - 550 350  (ex amp stage). The thought I will leave you with is to pay attention to cabling and isolation - massive rewards to be had. I use a quadraspire rack with Voodoo ISOPODS for isolation. I use Wireworld Silver Starlight for HDMI and Purist Audio power cabling. The dimensionality and musicality of ARCAM is astounding. Use quality speaker cabling. I use single driver Eclipse speakers. 

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...