DAVE and pre amp (tube)- suggestions / thoughts

In regards to pre-amps and DAVE I had an interesting little scenario I was  hoping to get some advice on:

I have the Chord DAVE and Vitus Amp (RI300). I find the sound via my Wilson Audio WP6 to be clean & sharp with good attack. Transparency and resolution are to die for. Incredible dynamics and rich detail. Not analytical but it clearly lacks the analogue sounding darker “punch/impact” which I sometimes find a bit too much. However my main issue with this combination is that I feel the soundstage really expands vertically to the point where music seems to be too distant sometimes and can get lost. <Compared to Metrum Pavane as DAC which offers more density due to a more analogue sounding tone as well as reducing soundstage/ dynamics to a large extent>.

I am hoping to marry the DAVE to a tube pre-amp. I like the characteristics of a SS so want to stick with the Vitus. What would you guys recommend in terms of preamp between DAVE and Vitus?

In terms of my tube preferences, I really enjoy the 300B sound – Mainly because of the magical mids and the general body and weight added to each note.  Now I have heard the DAVE plugged straight into tube power amps loses a lot of its signature sound – soundstage and the wonderful DAVE sound in general so I am not sure I want to head down that path especially considering Vitus is the amp for me. I have also heard DAVE plugged into a high end 300B Tube amp (WA5LE with Takatsuki 300B and 274 tubes) but the main issue here has been the treble spikes which makes it unlistenable to me. I don’t think DAVE likes 300B – but I really don’t know whether this is the case or not.

Given these experiences I was hoping maybe a tube preamplifier will be the perfect union allowing me to keep the best of the 300B experience and the DAVE experience without producing the treble side effects that a 300B power amp and DAVE have produced for me in the past. What do you guys think? Would you have any suggestions about which tube preamplifier to trial? One idea I had was to just get the WA5LE modded so that it can act as a pre amp as well. OR just to get a Manley Neoclassical 300B> Since I know the WA5LE works with my current tubes without blowing them (Takatsukis are pretty dear) I would prefer to keep that amp, but not sure whether that is a valid reason and not sure how to confirm whether Takatsukis would work without issue in the Manley amp. The other reason why WA5 mod is better for me is because less equipment can do more (as the rectifier tubes are pretty dear too and it’s just more economical to keep just the one amp and one set of tubes).

Thanks!

Edited by thunder 99

This past discussion mentions many preamps that you could consider. Also what is your price range new or used? There doesn't seem to be RI300 on the Vitus site.

Edited by Al.M

The ARC Ref 6 definitely won't lose you the characteristics of your DAVE and from my experience it had that weight and punch though definitely not the sweet mids like 300bs. The sound stage and imaging is incredible. There is a few reviews and a stereophile review too from memory. 

The ARC ref5se is a step back but also considered one of the best preamps ever and can be found pretty cheaply 2nd hand. 

I'd suggest to contact members here and stores and try to have as many at home demos as possible. 

Three suggestions:

None of these are from personal experience although I bought Dave to eliminate pre-amp.

cheapest - try 'Lush' USB cable; more info CA general forum

- Chord Blu2; not for CD transport but the enclosed M scaler

- Music First Classic silver pre as used by 'Triode User' Headfi Dave and Blu2 forums

All the above have been claimed to offer a more analogue sound.  Hope this may further your research.

Martin.

• Like 1

Hey Thunder,

I have tried various combinations of no preamp, SS valve and hybrid pre.  Conclusion is that a good preamp is much better than no preamp at all - i.e. just using the DAC as a volume control. Of those that I have tried, the best by a wide margin is the PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium which is proving to be a real keeper.

There are several reviews online - some comparing the PL to ARC and CJ - and the comments are most favourable.  With a bit of tube rolling, the results are magnificent.  Also, its output impedance is sufficiently low that it will drive most amps.

Andrew

• Like 2

I understand andrew, but the DAVE is supposed to be a very good output stage equalling that of a preamp so as to not really need one. I was just wondering about the introduction of a tube preamp in order to color sound in a particular way that I enjoy. More than a tube sound, its the 300B sound which I really enjoy.

What do you guys feel about a Manley?

Otherwise I may be able to get my WA5 amp modified, its a headphone tube amp but has been modified to be a preamp as well. But not sure how well it would work.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thunder 99 said:

Thanks Andrew, would love to take you up on your offer. Ingleburn isnt too far away!!

Have a look at these reviews from Absolute Sound et al:  http://www.primaluna-usa.com/reviews-dialogue-premium-preamplifier

I think that some dealer demos are not good as systems are not set up in ideal circumstances.  PM me for a proper listen.

Edited by andrewyuri
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, thunder 99 said:

Has anyone heard a Manley?

What about getting a current headphone amp modded to be a preamp. I know it can be done and Ive got some pretty exxy 300B tubes on the headphone amp which could be used to double up!

Give Cameron, Krispy Audio, a call, he speaks very highly of the Manley 300b preamp