SOLD

Item: Rancilio Silvia V3 with PID and boiler insulation - freshly serviced
Price: $600
Item Condition: Used, 5 years old
Reason for selling: Upgraded (like @Marc ) to  a Rocket Evo
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info:

PID:

The Silvia is the de facto standard for an entry level serious espresso machine, well built....only way they die is people forget to fill them with water (don't do this!). They have one inherent flaw, the temperature thermostat has a huge range, from 70 to 110 degrees, this forces people to 'temperature surf' to try and get a consistent temperature of the boiler, simply ridiculous! The PID holds the temperature perfectly so you can use the grinder to alter the shot and not any other variable in achieving shot consistency.

Purchased from JetBlack espresso in Sydney.

Current machines (V5) are $850 and PID is $560, so $1410 total

Changes from V3 to V4: easily replaceable boiler element (fill the machine, don't turn it on without any water in it!)

Changes from V4 to V5: boiler insulated - i have done this on this machine

Machine:

http://www.jetblackespresso.com.au/shop/p/rancilio-silvia/

PID:

http://www.jetblackespresso.com.au/shop/p/rancilio-silvia-pid-kit-installation/

available for demonstration -  she has now returned from the shop with all new seals and a head surround - so she looks and performs like new!

Pictures:IMG_0403.thumb.JPG.fc62f63e674164ccfd252761df673d3f.JPGIMG_0402.thumb.JPG.d12eb8c145c03710ff9235845751332f.JPG

Here we go:

here's what you can do....make a nice latte and enjoy vinyl....

Thank you

Rohan

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_0404.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

IMG_0405.JPG

Edited by spider™
  • Like 1

• Administrator

Can't really go wrong with this one. A proven performer and sometimes I wonder whether I achieved just as good shots from my Silvia as I do from my Giotto now.

@Marc completely agree. Going from this to a $3500 Rocket....my thoughts are:

1. Rotary pump in the Rocket means the machine doesn't vibrate so the cups stay still.

2. The lever is nice vs the button on the Rancilio

3. I'm finding it hard to get the milk textured on the Rocket - practice required. Think the steam is dryer on the Rocket

4. The cups are warmer on the Rocket, nice.

so that's it....as far as shots go...PID vs PID so I'm not seeing/tasting anything there. So there are some nice to have little things when going to the more expensive machine but the end product, the cup of coffee, is very similar!!!!

8 hours ago, spider™ said:

@Marc completely agree. Going from this to a $3500 Rocket....my thoughts are:

1. Rotary pump in the Rocket means the machine doesn't vibrate so the cups stay still.

2. The lever is nice vs the button on the Rancilio

3. I'm finding it hard to get the milk textured on the Rocket - practice required. Think the steam is dryer on the Rocket

4. The cups are warmer on the Rocket, nice.

so that's it....as far as shots go...PID vs PID so I'm not seeing/tasting anything there. So there are some nice to have little things when going to the more expensive machine but the end product, the cup of coffee, is very similar!!!!

I've got a Giotto which is quite similar to your Rocket.  It's taken me considerable time to get close to mastering texturing on this machine.  I had a Lelit prior to (which is very similar to the Silvia and found it much easier.

Great machine and price btw!!!

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Juicester said:

I feel like I need an excuse to buy this... such a good deal!

absolutely, another addiction...that's exactly what we all need here...at least it's cheaper than stereo/music...I've spent more on cables than this machine!