Cartridge Setup Help

Definitely not! Azimuth looks a mile off - the cantilever, when looking from directly in front should appear perpendicular to the record. The starting point is to have the headshell parallel with the record surface and then adjust from there if the cantilever isn't dead straight.

I don't have a shot handy from the front but here's one of the VdH showing the cart body being parallel to the record surface. Yours is tilting sharply upwards towards the outer grooves.

f780aa972358df6d73fb55c4981408a7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, Qwertyqaz said:

Ok, I don't have the right tools to adjust it.

Anyone close to Wyndham Vale that can assist?

Just loosen the large screw on top of the arm and adjust the headshell downwards on the fingerlift side until the headshell is parallel to the record surface. A tip is to do initial adjustment while the arm is in the rest, then move and lower on to the record to check, then back to the armrest for further adjustment, etc - more chance of damaging the stylus if adjusting it while the arm isn't anchored.

It isn't, and I unscrewed it from the top but cannot get it to stay parallel [emoji20]

You loosen the top screw, adjust to parallel while maintaining the alignment geometry you've presumably already set, then hold headshell in that position while tightening the top screw back up - headshell should have no motion once the screw is tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that still doesn't look right. Even the vta feels off. At least get a cheap cartridge alignment mirror to check both vta and azimuth. Naked eye will definitely fool you. Cost like 20 bucks to get one in ebay

Edited by mloutfie

2 hours ago, Qwertyqaz said:

I should say I adjusted it a little so now it's even better.

Sounds a lot better :)

Thanks all.

Use the shiny side of a CD (great use for a CD! :P ).  Rest the stylus on the CD - the cantilever and its reflection in the CD should be a straight line.

That will get you into the right ballpark.  getting it 'right' requires some equipment ... or your ears.  :D

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 1