Johnno2017

Leave it to the experts?

I have a pair of old speakers and I want to do a health check on the board. But, I know nothing about electronics.

Hope to get some help here. 

Is finding fault and fixing things on this board simple to do, what tools I need and what I need to know... 

Some photos of the inside. 

IMG_6083.JPG

IMG_6084.JPG

IMG_6085.JPG

It would be helpful to know what the speakers are. 2 way? 3 Way? Brand? Model? Are all the drivers functioning normally? What measurements have you performed to determine what, if any, problems exist? What does the manufacturer say about the issue? Under warranty?

Edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox

VanArn   

Indeed, there is very little to go on to be in a position to offer meaningful advice.  A rough  interpretation of the xover network  of the crossover would be that it is a  bi-wired 18 dB /octave type, with an impedance correcting cct. added to the bass output connection ( the green  bi-polar capacitor in series with the // 5w resistors).  

Thanks guys.

The makers are no longer around they were made in Australia by The Audio Group. It's a 2 way, focal tweeter and Seas driver. I have not done any measurements only by ear that the balance is not quiet right, abit too much high. I've done some looking around on the net and some says replacing the xovers can help to restore it.

gat474   

They look like TAG's work with all that hot glue and Jaycar blue cable. 

Nice drivers and no doubt well made boxes by Aranmar Acoustics. TAG are still around, John at Aranmar Acoustics may be able to help.

TAG speakers are generally pretty nice. Have you tried them on different equipment or someone else's system or someone else's ears. Maybe they just aren't for you?

gat474   

There are things to pull back the tweeter output a little. You could try adding a resistor to the tweeter input before the crossover. I can't help with values but if you are close to Ascot Vale (ish) I could lend you some various values and even show you how to connect them. They are temporary and do not require any changes to the crossover, it's all done outside the box.

I'm not sure if trying other equipment would help. I thought about a new amp but  it could turn out to be a expensive testing method.

In testing these speakers performed amazing and engaging in a large room. But when I brought them home and positioned in a small room I find the balance isn't quite there. I still enjoy them and I'm trying to find out if there is anything I could do to make the speakers to reach its potential. 

I may start with changing the green capacitor and see how that goes. 

gat474   

Just realised you're in Sydney.   Are you using the same stands as were used in the large room?  I used to think that stands wouldn't make much difference but recently found out with some Usher 520's that stands can make a difference.  On one set of stands the bottom end was missing, change the stands and bingo, more bottom end.   Might be worth looking at all of that too.

58 minutes ago, Johnno2017 said:

I'm not sure if trying other equipment would help. I thought about a new amp but  it could turn out to be a expensive testing method.

In testing these speakers performed amazing and engaging in a large room. But when I brought them home and positioned in a small room I find the balance isn't quite there. I still enjoy them and I'm trying to find out if there is anything I could do to make the speakers to reach its potential. 

I may start with changing the green capacitor and see how that goes. 

The suggestion that you listen to another pair of (known good) speakers in the same room, on your equipment is a good one. It may save you a great deal of heartache. If the green cap is what Van has suggested (impedance equalisation), then don't expect much difference. 

I think they we on stands and placed atleast 3 metres apart (which is a luxury).

Now is placed on top of a cabinet. May give the booster stands a go.

VanArn   

Johnno2017. The Focal tweeters'  ( T120 ?) suspension could be breaking down and the roll surround on the SEAS ,if it is rubber,  can go hard. I would suggest that these items  will add to your rework list.

gat474   

A cabinet could make a huge difference. Speakers sound crap on my garage bench but if I put them on stands they are much better. If I take the speakers inside using the same stands and equipment they sound much better again.

Also, make sure you have the speaker polarity (positive and negative) the same on each speaker. That's a rookie mistake I've fallen for more times that I care to count over a long time.  Out of phase will suck the bottom end away.

7 minutes ago, gat474 said:

Post some pics of the front of the woofers and tweeters.

Will put some more pictures up, the connections and condition of the drivers.

25 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

The suggestion that you listen to another pair of (known good) speakers in the same room, on your equipment is a good one. It may save you a great deal of heartache. 

Yep, and same position as well.

SS

Edited by Sub Sonic

6 hours ago, gat474 said:

A cabinet could make a huge difference. Speakers sound crap on my garage bench but if I put them on stands they are much better. If I take the speakers inside using the same stands and equipment they sound much better again.

Also, make sure you have the speaker polarity (positive and negative) the same on each speaker. That's a rookie mistake I've fallen for more times that I care to count over a long time.  Out of phase will suck the bottom end away.

Thank you all.

I got the balance now. Spot on about the rookie mistake.....

I do think the back is labelled incorrectly. 

16 hours ago, gat474 said:

That's good news.    Happy with the sound now?

Very happy with it now. 

I'm tempted to change the green capacitor.

Nigel   

Caps wear out rather than become 'broke', new ones on a tweeter for example can clean up a "tizzy" treble and your 10yr old can learn how to solder as well.

In my humble opinion there are way too many crossover components there for a simple two-way speaker. One inductor to limit the upper frequency of the woofer, one capacitor to limit the lower frequency of the tweeter, and perhaps a resistor on the tweeter feed if it is too strident compared to the woofer/mid. If designers would take more time to match their drivers (compatability is a wonderful thing) , a lot less interference from crossovers could be achieved, and a better result overall. 

P.S. use quality caps - good polypropylene caps should not age.

Edited by Spinnergeoff
extra thoughts