Can TT even digitally out to external DAC?

9 minutes ago, :) al said:

Wow. So many choices :) Thank you.  I am trying not to rely on computer but connect direct to DAC. All those models have USB out and will it work connecting any one of those boxes to DAC via USB cable?

@Spider27

This is what I use for the AD conversion feeding directly to a (kind of) DAC:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/M-Audio-Profire-610-FireWire-Audio-interface-Mobile-Audio-Equipment-/302388110411?hash=item4667bc644b:g:PeYAAOSwuxFYyyq5

I was informed of this unit by @ophool. A great feature of this unit is that it has gain control knobs so as to ensure that you don't overload the DAC. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

Wow. So many choices :) Thank you.  I am trying not to rely on computer but connect direct to DAC. All those models have USB out and will it work connecting any one of those boxes to DAC via USB cable?

my suggestion research them, they are quite affordable things. find a local retailer to you see if they will let you borrow their shop demo over night or something for a fiddle. will soon know whether kind of things suits or not :)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Happy said:

@Spider27

This is what I use for the AD conversion feeding directly to a (kind of) DAC:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/M-Audio-Profire-610-FireWire-Audio-interface-Mobile-Audio-Equipment-/302388110411?hash=item4667bc644b:g:PeYAAOSwuxFYyyq5

I was informed of this unit by @ophool. A great feature of this unit is that it has gain control knobs so as to ensure that you don't overload the DAC. 

my tascam does all the same and can be used as a dac too, and with overload protection and all that :) jazz 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, :) al said:

my tascam does all the same and can be used as a dac too, and with overland protection and all that :) jazz 

Yes the Profire can be used as a DAC too but I don't need that function. 

• Like 1

Guest Eggcup The Daft
54 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

Unfortunately, my one has it but it is for upgrade (not sure what to be upgraded though). :) 

nad_m51_3.jpg

That won't work for your purposes. You could try asking the dealers (or checking online manuals) to see if anything will work with the USB-B socket to the left or can output over coaxial or optical. Most of those cheaper USB turntables  - and phono amps - only support computer connection for creating digital files on computer, as far as I'm aware.

Guest Eggcup The Daft
1 hour ago, Spider27 said:

They look like they only output to computer, not to your DAC (I may be wrong). PS Audio sell this:

http://www.psaudio.com/nuwave-phono-converter/

It's a lot more expensive. and being discontinued:

http://www.psaudio.com/products/nuwave-phono-converter/

so you may pick one up cheaper.

There must be others out there but I can't find them. A pair of phono preamp and the right ADC would also work, I guess.

Forgot to add headphone amp to be connected into equation, too (to be purchased shortly).   :emot-bang:

CDP, Mac, Streamer will be connected to DAC then balanced out via 3 pin XLR connection

Turntable (project debut carbon) via Phono preamp to be connected as part of source. 

Output to active speaker and headphone amp.

Contacted Addicted to Audio and they do suggest dedicated preamp or get Schiit Jotunheim with Phono preamp module installed.

Store DJ shop suggest Yamaha Input Mixer with 10 different control knobs and feel like I become a DJ :)

Not sure what the main difference between Preamp and Input Mixer though. :wacko: To me, it does basically same and Preamp is for home stereo and mixer is for DJ mixing??

Edited by Spider27

14 minutes ago, SteveC said:

Here is a bargain solution:

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/127523-relist-price-drop-creative-sound-blaster-usb-digital-music-lx/

You can always use the analog out to a better headphone amp later.

Great. How does it work? LineOut to Headphone Amp and Optical out to DAC?

Does it need to be connected to PC or can it be run without PC if it just need AD conversion?

Edited by Spider27

1 minute ago, Spider27 said:

Great. How does it work? LineOut to Headphone Amp and Optical out to DAC?

Does it need to be connected to PC or can it be run without PC if it just need AD conversion?

Sorry no idea, best go ask the owner via PM.