Dear Shane,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write about your Richter loudspeakers. I cannot tell you how heartened I am to hear that you have received years of enjoyment from them. And how much they sweetened your life's journey and became part of your history. That news tells me that my endeavours were well worth it.

I know what it is to blow your entire savings on sound gear. I recall only too vividly at age 12 , when I spent every penny I had saved on a pair of Coral 8CX50 speakers ( still have them and they still sound wonderful), a Peak stereo amplifier and a turntable. Music was my life..

I tried very hard to make Richter as much as possible Australian made. I worked very closely with Magnavox Australia ( no relation at all to the overseas brand), to develop woofers that were fast and low in distortion. It was a slow and arduous process, but I attribute much of the success of the brand to Magnavox and their magnificent hand assembled Australian made drivers. We used Australian wire in the inductors, Australian made resistors and all the cable was Australian. Many of the early models also used Australian made capacitors. I really hoped that the brand would be by Australians for Australians. Australians like you!

I also worked very closely with Graham Jones from JJ cabinets and without his efforts Richter would never have birthed in the first place.

So I guess that 25 years on, I am very encouraged that this obsession with Australian made, was worth the effort.

I think the best part of Richter for me were the great friendships I made with retailers and consumers alike. Without this aspect the journey would have been quite empty

The logo of Richter was " A nice way to say Australian". Sadly, I understand that the speakers are now all made overseas.

So thanks once again for sharing your story. I was immensely pleased to  hear from you.....

Kind Regards

Ralph Waters

powerav   
On 8/31/2017 at 8:48 AM, Maty J said:

Just pickup up myself a never used still in box set of black Wizard MkIV and Unicorn MkIV....mate....above and beyond. I feel these speakers were made and designed before a financial crisis hit? 

They are the only thing in my set up that has remained constant over the years.

The centre unicorn is a beast!

wolp   

Yes. Welcome Ralph. Enjoy the many benefits the site has to offer.

mondie   

Welcome Ralph, it's great to see you posting here. I coveted your speakers badly in the late 80's as a teenager. I eventually bought a pair of Mentors and I should never have sold them. There was something that was just right about their sound that I recall just stood above everything else. I have fond memories of the Secret Weapons knowing sadly that they were out of my league.

Papps HiFi in Gippsland was pretty active with Richter back then and I think I may have even met you briefly at a demo show you attended in Traralgon around 1990.

Great memories!

Edited by mondie

Hi there Mondie,

Boy is your posting a blast from the past! I recall  this trip vividly as Peter Stein from ME and myself travelled together. At the end of the show we packed up and just headed home. We were pretty tired after a lot of travel and long hours at the show and so I suggested we stop over at my sister's place in Canberra. We arrived in the wee hours of the morning so we simply decided to plant our sleeping bags on her backyard lawn. When she woke up in the morning, she found two frosty sleeping bags laid out on the lawn and was going to call the police ! I think it was the automatic sprinkler system that finally woke us up.

Many of the shows were like that..long travel times, long show times and lots more travel. But the friendship and camaraderie between Australian producers was wonderful. I often travelled with Brad Serhan from Orpheus loudspeakers and we formed a very close bond.

Around this time I started OZFI which has been largely forgotten. It was the Australian Hi Fi manufacturers guild and included all the main players of the time.

The whole era was quite exciting . We really were a bunch of boys happily indulging our hobbies and passions rather than serious businessman! And that was always the attraction for me...to play music and to play in the sandpit!!

Thanks for your posting!

Kind Regards

Ralph Waters

mondie   

Ah yes ME, that was another brand I constantly dribbled over.

The teenage me thought you probably flew down to Traralgon by LearJet as a rockstar speaker designer so your Canberra story is quite amusing!

Marc   
7 hours ago, ralph waters said:

Hi there Mondie,

Boy is your posting a blast from the past! I recall  this trip vividly as Peter Stein from ME and myself travelled together. At the end of the show we packed up and just headed home. We were pretty tired after a lot of travel and long hours at the show and so I suggested we stop over at my sister's place in Canberra. We arrived in the wee hours of the morning so we simply decided to plant our sleeping bags on her backyard lawn. When she woke up in the morning, she found two frosty sleeping bags laid out on the lawn and was going to call the police ! I think it was the automatic sprinkler system that finally woke us up.

Many of the shows were like that..long travel times, long show times and lots more travel. But the friendship and camaraderie between Australian producers was wonderful. I often travelled with Brad Serhan from Orpheus loudspeakers and we formed a very close bond.

Around this time I started OZFI which has been largely forgotten. It was the Australian Hi Fi manufacturers guild and included all the main players of the time.

The whole era was quite exciting . We really were a bunch of boys happily indulging our hobbies and passions rather than serious businessman! And that was always the attraction for me...to play music and to play in the sandpit!!

Thanks for your posting!

Kind Regards

Ralph Waters

What a great post. Love reading stories like this.

Noum   

@ralph watersTook me a while to grab a snap of my friends Harlequin Mkll tweeters, but here it is :) I think the ones I had were different maybe but have no pics of them anymore.

Have pondered on these tweeters make/model for so used in these speakers, thanks for taking a look, Ralph. Appreciated :thumb:

59ba26b2579b6_HMkll.jpg.df56424b446b031a997256b1fc728604.jpg

Edited by Noum

Hi there,

These tweeters were made by Philips in Belgium. It is interesting that in 1974 I bought a pair of tweeters and they were made by Philips. I used Philips tweeters in the Mk1 Wizard. Eventually they stopped production and I had to source other brands, but I have always been partial to cloth domes and to tweeters with a conical waveguide.

Noum   

Is a pretty nice tweeter, thanks, Ralph :thumb: