Jump to content
SamMac

SSD vs HDD for audio streaming

Recommended Posts

SamMac   

Now that SSD drives are at a more realistic price, apart from the faster and better reliablilty.

 

How are they for playing audio files?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The good thing about SSDs is that they are quiet. They still aren't necessarily more reliable than HDDs, especially as you can still mirror large capacity HDDs for the same price as a small SSD.

You can happily use anything USB 2 speed or faster for playing music files. Any differences will come down to the design of what you are plugging into.

Edited by Eggcup The Daft
correction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sime   

Get a Samsung SSD and don't ever think about it again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SamMac   

Thanks John

The same size SSD is still more expensive vs a larger HDD. This notebook of mine is around 2008, so maybe the sometimes cut out briefly is the old HDD. I tend to shut all windows and just run vlc and play my files through my DAC

 

Thanks Simon,

Samsung is a good brand also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Sime said:

Get a Samsung SSD and don't ever think about it again. 

 

Unfortunately they fail as well. At least, mine did :(

 

Still a good recommendation, but you still need a backup...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SamMac said:

Thanks John

The same size SSD is still more expensive vs a larger HDD. This notebook of mine is around 2008, so maybe the sometimes cut out briefly is the old HDD. I tend to shut all windows and just run vlc and play my files through my DAC

 

Thanks Simon,

Samsung is a good brand also.

If the notebook will take a SATA drive then an SSD is a good replacement. It's rather old though, you would be better off with a newer notebook - even a more recent used one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wolster   

Agree re notebook. A lot has happened in nine years. 

I also doubt if anyone could hear a difference by changing from a HDD to a SSD but happy to be educated on the subject.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Happy   

If one was informed that the drive is upgraded to SSD, my bet is about 73% of audiophiles would tell the difference


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SamMac said:

Now that SSD drives are at a more realistic price, apart from the faster and better reliablilty.

 

How are they for playing audio files?

It usually comes down to cost and noise, the SSD would be much quieter both audibly and electrically (SSD no motor noise).

 

In my opinion a backup is mandatory whichever type of drive you choose, buy one, but get another one for data backup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Happy said:

If one was informed that the drive is upgraded to SSD, my bet is about 73% of audiophiles would tell the difference emoji3.png


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

 

Except me.  :unsure:         OK And @wolster  :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, soundbyte said:

It usually comes down to cost and noise, the SSD would be much quieter both audibly and electrically (SSD no motor noise).

 

In my opinion a backup is mandatory whichever type of drive you choose, buy one, but get another one for data backup.

 

Id use a cheap mechanical HDD for backup, no need for SSD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Snoopy8   

Changed from HDD to Samsung SSD more than a year ago because old laptop with Win10 had occasional interrupt when running Foobar2000.  Tried many things to get rid of interrupt but with SSD, problem fixed. Good upgrade which extended life of laptop.

 

Audio wise, no discernible difference with SSD upgrade. There were other things which limited the laptop eg. Foobar2000, usb cable, and when these were changed, gave noticeable audio improvements. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rmpfyf   
3 hours ago, SamMac said:

Now that SSD drives are at a more realistic price, apart from the faster and better reliablilty.

 

How are they for playing audio files?

 

Depends how it's connected and how it's powered. In your PC, maybe, in a NAS, no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SL1200   

I have one PC with SSD and one with HDD.  Tiny difference with the nod to SSDs.  Bear in mind that while files are played 'on the fly' the music files are put into memory first.  In terms of reliability my understanding is that SSDs will last a very long time provided they are not full.  I don't fully understand why this would be but apparently an 80% full drive will last a good deal longer than a 90% full drive.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sime   
3 hours ago, Eggcup The Daft said:

 

Unfortunately they fail as well. At least, mine did :(

 

Still a good recommendation, but you still need a backup...

 

Of course , all drives fail. My main music SSD has 3 HDD backups. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, SL1200 said:

 I don't fully understand why this would be but apparently an 80% full drive will last a good deal longer than a 90% full drive.  

 

The technology of SSD drives is good for a finite number of writes to each sector. The software responsible for writing to the SSD distributes the writes to the sectors that had the lowest number of writes, but the less sectors are available the more writes happen to the same sectors over and over. The result is a loss of capacity over time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Happy said:

If one was informed that the drive is upgraded to SSD, my bet is about 73% of audiophiles would tell the difference emoji3.png


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So few?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SL1200   
3 hours ago, PleasantSounds said:

 

The technology of SSD drives is good for a finite number of writes to each sector. The software responsible for writing to the SSD distributes the writes to the sectors that had the lowest number of writes, but the less sectors are available the more writes happen to the same sectors over and over. The result is a loss of capacity over time.

 

Yes that was the essence of my research.  I was 'researching' - well googling actually - sites like 'Anand' (I remember that name as it has a significant chess connection) for PC purposes.  What I recall as curious was that a 100% increase in spare space was said to result in a far greater than 100% lifespan.

 

To the OP.  There are several good Computer Websites and you may wish to do your own research / googling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chigurh   

All of my music files reside on a cheap 2TB Toshiba USB HDD attached to my router. Mechanical noise is not an issue as it's in a room far away from my HiFi listening room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sunbird   

All my musics sit on a Synology NAS with conventional server grade HDDs and a backup drive. Recently changed hard drives and ran of a Sony Vaio with SSD in the interim - no discernible difference between the two.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×