Addicted to music

Life after Magnaplanars

@Al.M

thanks for the input and size of the cabinets.   I'm glad that someone has tried other drivers and have compared them to the Eton.   It saves me from doing it.  

Within the  cabinets I was told to use plaster adhesive and coat the entire walls with it b4 putting the polyester insulation....  I just agreed and did what I was told!   When I bought a tub it was this heavy rubber stuff when it dried out!   

Yeah i gotta  admit they dont look 11" on the outside...

Edited by Addicted to music

Al.M   

Many years ago I followed the Madisound forum when it was as active as DIYaudio.com forums and a bunch of engineer types accelerometer tested expensive Black Hole product speaker cabinet dampening and found that thickish commercial floor vinyl glued on had the same affect for about 50 times less cost so that is what I now use in DIY speaker builds. It comes free as off cuts from building site skip bins :) 

Bunnings rubberised floor tile glue is good to stick on with.

Edited by Al.M

2 hours ago, Al.M said:

Many years ago I followed the Madisound forum when it was as active as DIYaudio.com forums and a bunch of engineer types accelerometer tested expensive Black Hole product speaker cabinet dampening and found that thickish commercial floor vinyl glued on had the same affect for about 50 times less cost so that is what I now use in DIY speaker builds. It comes free as off cuts from building site skip bins :) 

Bunnings rubberised floor tile glue is good to stick on with.

And people in these neck of the woods wonder why I won't spend around $90 for 3 discs that looks like it was cut out of some building product that someone used on electronics and said to have to have an improvement!   :D

Its like how @soundbyte keeps coming back to mains cable, but then again I've never used anything else so I could tell.    All I know is that I prefer mains cable compared to the speaker graded cables I had.   Solid core cable is a Schitt to use but boy, there's something about how it completes that signal.  It's all in the gain of SQ!   

42 minutes ago, Sub Sonic said:

@Addicted to music which mains cable do you prefer? Not trolling, just curious.

Regards,

SS

No preference, I just haven't tried others to compare.   @soundbytewill have more experience than me.  

I scored the 6mm 100m roll at a place I use to work for,  management was about to chuck it out into waste as it wasn't needed and they needed the space.  The brand on it is Pirelli cables.  so it was a no brainer, why not utilise something for free!

Martykt   
18 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

No preference, I just haven't tried others to compare.   @soundbytewill have more experience than me.  

I scored the 6mm 100m roll at a place I use to work for,  management was about to chuck it out into waste as it wasn't needed and they needed the space.  The brand on it is Pirelli cables.  so it was a no brainer, why not utilise something for free!

Coincidently Pirelli is the recommended brand of 6mm to use.

6mm  Electrical is a great option  for cheap DIY speaker cables. :thumb:

3 minutes ago, Martykt said:

Coincidently Pirelli is the recommended brand of 6mm to use.

There are issues, it's a Schitt to work with; very stiff...:unsure:

Martykt   
17 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

There are issues, it's a Schitt to work with; very stiff...:unsure:

Stiff yes, but it is bendable so you can shape it to fit.

The thing I like about the 6mm Electrical is it's so  inexpensive that pretty much anyone can afford it even if it's just out of curiosity to experiment with instead of standard figure 8. 

Obviously it's possible to move up to speaker cables which are more flexible which use more expensive materials and look better but 6mm Pirelli is a great place to start. :) 

Edited by Martykt

andyr   
6 hours ago, Martykt said:

I would never use it - for 2 reasons:

1. 6mm electrical cable is most likely to be stranded.  IME, solid-core wire sounds better.
  2. if by chance it was solid-core ... then IMO 6mm^ is too thick for good signal transmission.  Better to use the 2.5mm^ solid-core lighting cable - 2 or 3 runs of it, if you're worried about current-carrying capacity.

Andy

Martykt   
7 minutes ago, andyr said:

I would never use it - for 2 reasons:

1. 6mm electrical cable is most likely to be stranded.  IME, solid-core wire sounds better.
  2. if by chance it was solid-core ... then IMO 6mm^ is too thick for good signal transmission.  Better to use the 2.5mm^ solid-core lighting cable - 2 or 3 runs of it, if you're worried about current-carrying capacity.

Andy

Yes solid core is a good thing for speaker cables, and that knowledge comes someone with a lot of expertise when it comes to cables.

Yes 6mm Electrical is usually stranded but it's a few thick strands compared to fine spindly shiit you find in figure 8.

I think it's great to experiment and try a few different things and see what works well.

I imagine 2.5mm litghting cable is pretty cheap to try too. 

Quite a few DIYers have also had success with platted thin stuff though apparently a complete pain in the *** to make up.

TomAus   

Interesting to read about your experience with Magnepan, Peter. Perhaps it's time to pursue the German Physiks speakers you have been admiring over the last few years? :party

On 15/08/2017 at 3:24 PM, TomAus said:

Interesting to read about your experience with Magnepan, Peter. Perhaps it's time to pursue the German Physiks speakers you have been admiring over the last few years? :party

How can I forget that moment Thomas.   

Those big expensive Broadman carted into the middle of the room and they refused to put them on.....   Imagine the cost carting that to a room only to find out; quote " can't put those on, they sound Schitt in this room.....here,  put the German Physiks on.....". Said Nick form Telos....:D  So these guys move these German Physiks into position and looked at Nick getting approval to where they position them.... Nicks next words; " Don't worry where they go, it's not critical, they sound good anywhere....".   So right he was!

Then somehow we find ourselves in the next HiFi show with the German Physiks, yes those German Physiks always bring me and you together in the same room!  Funny how when I showed up @Martykt decided to walk out!   

This time with that R2R that everyone was praising about!   Gee, I'm so glad digital has taken over,  can't say I'd ever liked tape!   That digital recording that some sound engineer did on DAT that they had demo on vinyl had some killer tones and coloration that brought that concert live in that room!   I kept telling Nick and his side kick to keep turning the volume up, so they did,  and then I said keep going, it's not loud enough!  They both looked t me and so did everyone else with a smile on there face! 

Edited by Addicted to music

Martykt   

Waiting till I was about to leave before entering eh @Addicted to music ?? :P 

The Telos guys always bring something special to the table.

Happy to spend as much time as you want waiting in the Telos room for you Peter !! :D 

I was only only having a bit of fun @Martykt  :D

I think you were done with that session when @joz and I wondered in...:)

i have to agree with ya there,  the gear in that room with Nick is top notch,,,  I love that seismic platform,  his Preamp/power combo.  Always entertaining at shows.   When I show up for the next that's one room I won't be missing.