Jump to content
Addicted to music

Life after Magnaplanars

Recommended Posts

I've just reconnected my 6ft ribbons with 10" Eton drivers in parallel, and I can't believe the impact and low end microdetails these Eton drivers get down to in resolving low end  Microdetails and because I can spread the ribbons further apart I can get better channel separation.  It helps when you have room!   

 

The 1.7 was great in what it did, and I tried all this time to love them, but some how this week,  I thought I'll trial the previous set up I had!   So after around 24mths of living with Maggie 1.7.   

 

What have ex-owners of maggies done?    And why?  Do I move the 1.7 on?  Or do I keep both?  Decisions decisions?  

IMG_1469.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr 57   

Since "flat" is your thing, don't sell any....and to the mix you should add a pair of stats.:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
buddyev   

Surprised your channel separation isn't what you'd hope for with the 1.7s. Staging and of course midrange clarity is what I love about mine - though my room is quite a bit smaller than yours. 

The market is very tough at the moment so, for selfish reasons, I say hang on to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Martykt   

I'm sorry to have to tell you this @Addicted to music.... but scientists have already discovered that the world is actually round.... :unsure:

 

They lied to you Addicted..... and unfortunately leaving the cult of the flat will mean untold horrific retribution in your near future..... :ohmy:

 

Run while you still can Addicted.... RUN NOW.... !! :P 

 

..... and get a larger thicker rug to cover those sound bouncing tiles and some nice curtains (who invented those bloody venetians anyway ??) while you're at it.... :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Happy   

What did you wrap up the dumbbell with toilet paper for?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Happy said:

What did you wrap up the dumbbell with toilet paper for?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Its actually a white towel to prevent the iron bar digging into my palm creating blisters....  the better 1/2; the BOSS hates it when I touch her with blisters on my palm....:unsure:  everyone else wears gloves, I can't deal with gloves!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
:) al   

its two dumbbells, one for each maggie and the hand grips are wrapped in towels so no finger prints are left...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Martykt   
18 minutes ago, Happy said:

What did you wrap up the dumbbell with toilet paper for?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Sheeesh didn't you know how precious these gym junkies are..... gotta keep those hands nice and supple and moisturise after every session ..... !!! :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Martykt said:

I'm sorry to have to tell you this @Addicted to music.... but scientists have already discovered that the world is actually round.... :unsure:

 

They lied to you Addicted..... and unfortunately leaving the cult of the flat will mean untold horrific retribution in your near future..... :ohmy:

 

Run while you still can Addicted.... RUN NOW.... !! :P 

 

..... and get a larger thicker rug to cover those sound bouncing tiles and some nice curtains (who invented those bloody venetians anyway ??) while you're at it.... :) 

 

It's not gonna happen.....WAF!!!  

 

But i I thought I do some cheap cost nothing engineering just for you @Martykt

 

A simple toppler!    :D   On a pair of Behringer of course!    For engineering purposes!   :P

 

This is is what I prepared earlier;

 

 

 

 

IMG_1470.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
blybo   
18 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

 

It's not gonna happen.....WAF!!!  

 

@Martykt

 

 

 

It should happen and could only lead to improved WAF. Some nice heavy curtains and a bigger modern shaggy rug could only improve sound AND aesthetics.

 

1 hour ago, Addicted to music said:

IWhat have ex-owners of maggies done?    And why?  Do I move the 1.7 on?  Or do I keep both?  Decisions decisions? 

 

Go almost flat is what I did.

IMG_2800.JPG

 

And I'm still trying to convince my wife we should put curtains over those wood look Venetians that were here when we moved in.

Edited by blybo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Martykt   
11 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

 

It's not gonna happen.....WAF!!!  

 

But i I thought I do some cheap cost nothing engineering just for you @Martykt

 

A simple toppler!    :D   On a pair of Behringer of course!    For engineering purposes!   :P

 

This is is what I prepared earlier;

 

 

 

 

IMG_1470.JPG

 

Huh, you're telling me you can't pass some nice curtains and a nice rug  under the pretext of WAF ???

 You have to try a little harder there Addicted !!! :D 

 

Those Ribbons look great Addicted.

Ribbons done well are a definite recipe to bliss in my book !!! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wiffle   
 
Go almost flat is what I did.
IMG_2800.thumb.JPG.4374f883457f26a96d8fd3b2c7e92985.JPG
 
And I'm still trying to convince my wife we should put curtains over those wood look Venetians that were here when we moved in.

Shaggy rug and lava lamp; moving forward into the 70's!!!
Fwiw double aka day/night blinds look great and also provide a nice double air gap for reducing reflection from windows...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhoRu?   
4 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

I've just reconnected my 6ft ribbons with 10" Eton drivers in parallel, and I can't believe the impact and low end microdetails these Eton drivers get down to in resolving low end  Microdetails and because I can spread the ribbons further apart I can get better channel separation.  It helps when you have room!   

 

The 1.7 was great in what it did, and I tried all this time to love them, but some how this week,  I thought I'll trial the previous set up I had!   So after around 24mths of living with Maggie 1.7.   

 

What have ex-owners of maggies done?    And why?  Do I move the 1.7 on?  Or do I keep both?  Decisions decisions?  

IMG_1469.JPG

 

Apogee....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Al.M   

I have a pair of the same Eton 10 inch woofers and they are incredibly good as you have found. The Avalon Eidilons use the same.

 

You are using 2 pairs of Eton so what cabinet volume and porting / sealed?

 

Other comparable  bass depth and detail I have experienced with using twin Scanspeak 18w/8535 and Illuminator 7 inch woofers in ported cabinets, but the Eton still better.

 

Transmission line subwoofers also work very well and possibly exceed the Eton such as old venerable Kef B139 woofer and Focal 10 inch Kevlar.

Edited by Al.M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Al.M

 

there around 30+ yrs history in these Eaton drivers and I do stand corrected and apologise if I mislead.  These are not 10" Eton drivers.  They are 11-580/50 Eton so they are 11" Eton drivers!!!!

 

i went into a partnership build with a manager who was also into Audio.  We knew someone who construct this stuff on a commercial basis for night clubs and bands etc.  This guy has exactly what I have now, 6ft ribbons that walked out the back door of a shop that was manufacturing them at a reduced price!  So all we needed was a driver to match.

 

This manager and I imported these Eton drivers direct from the Eton factory and it cost $350 approx landed per driver.  This was 30 + yrs ago, so it'll date back into the mid 80s early 90s.  We feed the data into a computer program at the time and I could be wrong with the figures but they are around the 35ltr or 70ltr box with a 100mm port as per the speaker manufacturer to get that 27hz resonance.   We are running them and the ribbons on 1st order XO so the ribbons have a 180uf polypropylene cap that I had Erricson wound these when they were here in Preston Melbourne.  They wound 3 x 50uf 240VAC.  The inductor of memory was 1.2-1.8mH.  The caps for the ribbon has to be polypropylene as we tried a number and this was the best! 

The reason we chose the Eton was because of the magnetic strength, the best impulse and it use a square shaped wire for the voice coil, far in advance compared to others at the time, but how times have change!  As you can see from the specs:

 

http://nedlab.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Eton-11-580-50-woofer.pdf

 

You can see from the photos of this spare new unused driver I had how it uses a square wire.

 

The thing with ribbons is that they dip to 1.8ohms which is a real strain on any amplifier.  Use the wrong amp or deviate from polypropylene and the sound will become hash and intolerable. 

 

 

IMG_1475.JPG

IMG_1477.JPG

IMG_1478.JPG

IMG_1479.JPG

Edited by Addicted to music

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, soundbyte said:

Nice to see someone else using mains cables for their speaker connections.

 

6mm electrical...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

 

6mm electrical...

 

 

1mm diameter solid core for tweeters, 2mm diameter solid core for mid range and sub woofers,.

Have not found any other cable that works as well in my system.

I have tried heaps of types, DIY (mostly) some bought, but so far have always come back to mains cables.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Al.M   
4 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

@Al.M

 

there around 30+ yrs history in these Eaton drivers and I do stand corrected and apologise if I mislead.  These are not 10" Eton drivers.  They are 11-580/50 Eton so they are 11" Eton drivers!!!!

 

i went into a partnership build with a manager who was also into Audio.  We knew someone who construct this stuff on a commercial basis for night clubs and bands etc.  This guy has exactly what I have now, 6ft ribbons that walked out the back door of a shop that was manufacturing them at a reduced price!  So all we needed was a driver to match.

 

This manager and I imported these Eton drivers direct from the Eton factory and it cost $350 approx landed per driver.  This was 30 + yrs ago, so it'll date back into the mid 80s early 90s.  We feed the data into a computer program at the time and I could be wrong with the figures but they are around the 35ltr or 70ltr box with a 100mm port as per the speaker manufacturer to get that 27hz resonance.   We are running them and the ribbons on 1st order XO so the ribbons have a 180uf polypropylene cap that I had Erricson wound these when they were here in Preston Melbourne.  They wound 3 x 50uf 240VAC.  The inductor of memory was 1.2-1.8mH.  The caps for the ribbon has to be polypropylene as we tried a number and this was the best! 

The reason we chose the Eton was because of the magnetic strength, the best impulse and it use a square shaped wire for the voice coil, far in advance compared to others at the time, but how times have change!  As you can see from the specs:

 

http://nedlab.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Eton-11-580-50-woofer.pdf

 

You can see from the photos of this spare new unused driver I had how it uses a square wire.

 

The thing with ribbons is that they dip to 1.8ohms which is a real strain on any amplifier.  Use the wrong amp or deviate from polypropylene and the sound will become hash and intolerable. 

 

 

IMG_1475.JPG

IMG_1477.JPG

IMG_1478.JPG

IMG_1479.JPG

No problem, it is the same 11 inch Eton we are referring to one of the best kept secrets in DIY audio that few people have tried as they are not on the usual try list. I tried a lot of Focals, Peerless, Vifa and others when the 11 inch Eton came along it was immediately obvious how much better.

 

Your sub woofer cabinet volume would be 75L ported to get 27hz f3 and judging by the size of the twin woofer cabinet they look around 150L volume.

 

Eton still make and sell the same 11 Eton hexacone woofer, which I got around 10 yrs ago. They call it 11 inch or 27cm diameter external frame but it is really a large 10 inch woofer according to the actual cone surface area.

Edited by Al.M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×