GS Accession Phono Pre-amp

Hey SNAers,

I have taken advantage of the Graham Slee loaner scheme run by @cheekyboy. I have had the wonderful experience of trailing first the Reflex M and now the Accession M. I am also trialling the GS speaker cables :)

Both of these moderately priced units proved me with a much enhanced listening experience, notably better than the onboard NAD stage, which isn't terrible.... clearly not comparable.

I am unable to discuss the two sale units in comparison, so I will focus on my current experiences with the Accession. So since getting the Accession and setting it all up, I have found the enjoyment factor to be much higher, the sound is full, or rich in comparison. By this I mean the tones are all more vibrant, but nuanced. When listening to Paul Simons Graceland album, the African singers are all wonderfully clear, but placed in space, width and depth... I never really got that feeling until now, there has even been a few times I though my kids were calling out from their rooms, only to notice it was a singer in the sound stage. I have also found that on Fleetwood Mac 'Rumours' the vocals on all the tracks a better defined and forward in the soundstage, surrounded by the other instruments.

When I flicked back to the NAD stage, the life, the width and the fun were all less, a bit greyscale if you like. 

As for the settings available on the Accession, I gave each of them a whirl. The RIAA adjustments do what they say, I found them helpful in taming a couple of sides with tremble issues. I also gave the loading a bit of a change, only to determine the standard 100pf was the sweet-spot for my Dynavector 10x5.

So I am really very impressed with the quality and value proposition the Accession M has shown me for improving my analogue sounds, and I can only suggest to all those newer converts, who are using on-boards, or more lowly spec'd phono stages; give the loaner program a go.... before you rush off and spend $$ on another option, because even if you don't buy one, you will have the chance to understand what differences a good stage can make. I am sure there are a few owners of GS products on the forum who can attest to the quality of the product and even the value of the loaner program.

Thank you to the team at Wyndham Audio, particularly Keith, for the opportunity to trial such good quality gear!

I have really enjoyed getting back into HiFi, there is soo much to learn and listen too. Life is much too short for low-res :)

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I too took advantage of the loaner program and used it to focus my thoughts on the huge choice and variety of amps available. GS products are undoubtedly the benchmark the rest can be judged upon but almost always fail to match within the price range. The Accession was top of my list before realising that my commitment to Vinyl was just not strong enough to justify the expenditure. I do know though that I'll have to fight back the buyers remorse in that I didn't buy the product that truly caught my fancy and "settled" on a less expensive option.

I hope you enjoy the new toy @Gijo1977

• Like 1

I posted quite a long thread about the Accession a few months ago when I got mine. Struggling to find a link to it. Great preamp, I use mine with a Rega table and an Ortofon 2m
black. Very happy with it 10 months on!

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Well all great comments and definitely shows the support. I am expecting my Accession to arrive in the next week or so [emoji106][emoji41]

I've just ordered an Elevator EXP. My MC journey has begun!
[emoji389][emoji389][emoji389]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps of interest to Accession owners or prospective owners - this thread points to discussion of the issues involved in record equalisation that led to development of the method of equalisation employed in the Accession and for which patent application has been made.

• Like 1

I haven't heard the Accession yet but can attest to the great sound quality I've heard from Graham Slee phono amps over the years.  The Reflex C was wonderful for MC, but I've currently settled on a Reflex M plus SUT combo as it gets me more gain up front (I only run a SET 5 watt power amp).  I love the Reflex M but would like to hear any views on how it compares to the Accession. 

22 hours ago, gmdb said:

I haven't heard the Accession yet but can attest to the great sound quality I've heard from Graham Slee phono amps over the years.  The Reflex C was wonderful for MC, but I've currently settled on a Reflex M plus SUT combo as it gets me more gain up front (I only run a SET 5 watt power amp).  I love the Reflex M but would like to hear any views on how it compares to the Accession. 

I auditioned both side by side for a few days. I had a Rega Fono mk2 in situ and then demo'd the two. Stylus is an Orto 2m Black on Rega Rp8.

Rega Fono mk2 to Reflex M revealed a 3d sound stage. I would say that the Fono did a great job of creating a 2D sound stage where i could pick out instruments, however the Reflex was really a step up, it felt as though the sound was 'around me' rather than in front of me. I noticed a little drop in bass authority compared to the Fono, however I also started to notice more detail in the bass notes. Detail being different to slam. One of my revelation records is a daggy Paul Muriat album, pressed in France its a full wall of sound and when I started using the reflex the sound seemed to just be 'everywhere' in the room, rather than just around the speakers.

Reflex to Accession was interesting. The main thing I noticed was that the detail in both top end and low end increased. Strings picked up more top end 'shine' and I could more clearly pick out a bass guitar playing along in a corner. I would say the gap between the Accession and the Reflex is closer than the gap between the Reflex and the Fono. Each component has its place, I picked up the Accession on an introduction price so it was only a few hundred more than the Reflex. It was a hard choice between the two because the Reflex really is a great pre- and at its price the Fono is amazing.

Drew

• Like 2

Thanks, @astormsau.   That's a nice review.  I do find that when the bass is more precise it can - or seem to - have less impact.  I tend to think that the precise bass is more true to the recording, but that's based largely on moving from cheaper Japanese amps to more refined amps over the years.  I like reggae and on some amps it's all "boom, boom, boom" - big impact but no definition.  On a more refined amp you can actually hear the bass notes being played, but the "boom" impact is gone, which is good IMO.   

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

I thought I would add some follow up comments now that my Accession has arrived and has been run in.

All I can say is WOW! with a little more width on the speakers, a little more space from the wall and an adjustment to how my speakers were connected at the binding posts has made a great enhancement to my system more of a knock out!

I just listened to LRB "Sleepercatcher" and the stereo imaging was amazing, but with the tweak to the cable connection there was a sense of space in the sounds and voices were in a space... not to sure how to describe it? The other thing I noticed was the sound of the trumpet playing... it sounded like someone was playing it, I could hear the musician... not just the trumpet? again I have no I deal how to explain this..

Carol King is also sounding great... so I suspect it will be a late night now ;)

Anyone considering a new Phono, really needs to consider the loaner program before spending their hard earned cash.... All of the GS gear I have tested is now sitting in my system! Thanks @cheekyboy

• Like 1