:) al   

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2017/08/06/apple-accidentally-confirms-new-4k-hdr-apple-tv/#4a86fbdc20e5

if the article is correct, and good news it will be if it is indeed coming. far to many half baked devices around and quite hit and miss the support, hoping appleTV is a reasonably option as 4k source :)

"Apple Accidentally Confirms New 4K HDR Apple TV

After months of rumours and ardent sleuthing by the world’s gazillions of armchair Apple detectives, it now seems all but certain that a new Apple TV with 4K and high dynamic range support is on its way. And rather awkwardly for the infamously secretive tech giant, the source of this confirmation ‘leak’ is Apple’s own Homepod speaker.

Last night (August 6) iOS developer Guilherme Rambo tweeted that he’d spotted lines of code within the iOS system powering the Homepod that refer to an Apple TV capable of supporting not only 4K resolution and high dynamic range video, but also the Dolby Vision premium HDR solution and, even more intriguingly, the HLG version of HDR set to be used by broadcasters.

By adding Dolby Vision alongside support for the industry standard HDR10 format, the new Apple TV will deliver video capabilities which at least rival the Chromecast Ultra, and which outgun the likes of the Roku Ultra and Amazon Fire TV."

Blade74   

They've been a bit slow to the 4K and her game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PauliD   

If you own movies on iTunes you get 4K HDR versions (if they exist) for free. That's nice. But new hardware sucks for recent buyers of the still kinda new gen 4 boxes.

Sime   

Nah, it's a cheap changeover. 

1 hour ago, PauliD said:

If you own movies on iTunes you get 4K HDR versions (if they exist) for free. That's nice. But new hardware sucks for recent buyers of the still kinda new gen 4 boxes.

we tend to hand me down paul. sell the very oldest, pass down the newest within family so not much lost in change over in real terms... "within the family" :D

if you want you can also sell off existing one and i see people selling their older units and still get reasonable money, the very older units are hackable. dont know the current just to be superseded :)

PauliD   

I have a hand me down Apple TV Gen 3 from my Dad who didn't use it. I actually gave it to him as a present to get iView on his TV. But using a iPad to push it to the screen was too hard for some reason. The Gen 3 is the least hackable. Kodi instructions of installing it is basically a guide to screen sharing from another Mac or jailbroken iPad. 

I posted in the Oppo 203/205 thread asking if a member who has one could test a Atmos MKV via USB to see if can do bitstream out from a file. Hopefully a response there will help me decide which way to go. But thats for the other thread :)

I placed a pre order for the 4k apple tv but have cancelled it due to the 4k only being successful on 4k itunes content. 

it doesn't switch over when you are displaying hd apps content. no youtube 4k either. 

Sime   

4k iTunes movies is still worth the purchase imo. 

powerav   
2 hours ago, Lynne Mangold said:

I placed a pre order for the 4k apple tv but have cancelled it due to the 4k only being successful on 4k itunes content. 

it doesn't switch over when you are displaying hd apps content. no youtube 4k either. 

This is the whole issue with Apple in general, so restrictive.

Ray H   

I purchased one of these today to replace our gen 2 Apple TV, which has provided sterling service for around 8 years now. Will retire the gen 2 to the bedroom.

i understand the sentiment re 4K content limitations, but given I'm using a plasma (non smart) tv, I'm hoping this provides a bit of a quantum leap in performance and will show its worth when I get around to 4K tv purchase.

2 minutes ago, Ray H said:

I purchased one of these today to replace our gen 2 Apple TV, which has provided sterling service for around 8 years now. Will retire the gen 2 to the bedroom.

i understand the sentiment re 4K content limitations, but given I'm using a plasma (non smart) tv, I'm hoping this provides a bit of a quantum leap in performance and will show its worth when I get around to 4K tv purchase.

be interested in your thoughts ray. I've hesitated getting one, we have a pretty paltry internet service and on the never never as far as nbn goes so 4k very highly unlikely and with previous gen Apple TV happy for now.

but who know we might get the nbn (we have the box on the wall outside but its connected to nothing, might be 6 months as they say. but they told us 3 months 12 months ago so who knows but maybe then :D

ps a couple of bummers i have read re the new apple tv is no atmos ? which is a pity and also no 24p which is also a pity. will mean like many streaming devices now they will be up speeding to 50/60 hz.

anyways i'll keep tabs... see who things progress. would be nice of atmos was a firmware update and 24p was engaged.

Ray H   

Hi @:) al

Will let you know how it goes. I don't hold out hope for the atmos update though. Apple /apple tv never seem to have focussed on bleeding edge particularly in the surround codec space.

Sime   

Like I said earlier in another thread, this is a cheap no brainer update. Not even worth internally debating. 

Edited by Sime

groovem   

It will of course be able to stream 4K content off the latest iPhones etc to a 4K TV. Not being able to stream 4K content off the iPhone was one of the major criticisms of the 4th generation Apple TV.