djb

Vintage head phones

djb   

What vintage head phones do you still use?

I am not much of a head phone user but while searching for something else in the vault I came across some Phillips SBC HP 1000 phones which I bought as new old stock from Selby a dozen years ago, who'd picked them up when a hifi shop had shut.

From memory they were then Phillips top shelf product .

I also have some aged  Koss electrostatics.

Not for me apart for some Senheisers I bought for a buck (never listen to them) I'm throughly modern. Senhieser 700s are my best. 

Listening to these right now - Rotel RH-930 electrets - a rebadged Toshiba "back electret" design. 

rotel.thumb.JPG.9bcfc69fd36ab307959db1f8b8cdfafd.JPG

I also use a pair of Sony MDR SA3000s, which were the "cheap" version of the flagship SA5000s, with identical drivers. 

sony.thumb.JPG.f2552839058946cb8353de996fe122d2.JPG

Both are excellent at retrieving detail, but in completely different ways.

Sam Z   

Stax electrostats are the only vintage cans I've really liked. 

Regular dynamic driver headphones have come a long way in the last 20-30 years...

Edited by Sam Z

Batty   

Used to have a pair of Koss pro 4AA, great SQ but very heavy also very difficult to resolder the plug back on due to being litz wire.

Just recently had a pair of Stax restored. Very happy.

While discussing Stax, has anyone tried the electostatic line of headphones advertised at the top of the SNA home page? Are they much like electrostatics?

edc58cca-29a5-4402-84a7-af532784cb8f.jpg.468ff3724dc3bdcd8549dd0a147fe5f1.jpg

Edited by ThirdDrawerDown
included the Electostatics promo

Ian McP   

I run 30 yr old Stax Lamdas with the SRD7 mains powered adapter. Interestingly I recently A/B'ed them with a friend's pair of SR 3's.

The SRD7 has dual outputs so you can switch quickly from one pair to the other. I found the SR3's had slightly better balanced sound.

Not much between them. The SR 3's still sounded very good with their own SRD5 self powered adapter

http://www.stax.co.jp/Export/History.html

regards Ian

Kuff   

I had a wonderful sounding Stax NEWSR3/SRD6 , recently sold to a very happy member here who has an excellent ear.

These are circa 1972,  aurally superior to many modern headphones that i have tried.

IMG_0583.JPG

Neo   
On 16/08/2017 at 7:50 AM, ThirdDrawerDown said:

Just recently had a pair of Stax restored. Very happy.

While discussing Stax, has anyone tried the electostatic line of headphones advertised at the top of the SNA home page? Are they much like electrostatics?

edc58cca-29a5-4402-84a7-af532784cb8f.jpg.468ff3724dc3bdcd8549dd0a147fe5f1.jpg

Had a listen to the new range of stax headphones at Len Wallis last week and was very impressed with them. At one stage in the past had a stax srm-717 energizer and 404 headphones and loved the sound very clean transparent indeed like listening to a pair of speakers. The only thing perhaps was lacking is the bottom end, bass. But since I'm not a bass head and my preference are somewhat different in sound presentation I never missed that.

But after listening to the new range of stax headphones even the entry level set I was in for abit of a surprise, to me they sound like dynamic headphones at the bottom end with full impact yet still exhibited all the positive attributes of the electrostatics. Did a quick comparison with an old 303 plugged  into the same energizer just to see that I'm not imagining and sure enough. The new range is a remarkable improvement. For around $1400 entry level energizer and headphone combo is a viable alternative if you after an electrostatic setup and when you think about it inexpensive in the grand scheme of things. 

My 2c 

Neo

The oldest headphones I still own I bought new back in 1983. I have replaced the foam ear pads 3 or 4 times so far.

I rarely use them now. I just keep them for nostalgic reasons.

The venerable Sennheiser HD414

(Not mine in the photo)

114A16494F6DC44741D21C

Edited by Saxon Hall

22 minutes ago, Saxon Hall said:

The oldest headphones I still own I bought new back in 1983. I have replaced the foam ear pads 3 or 4 times so far.

I rarely use them now. I just keep them for nostalgic reasons.

The venerable Sennheiser HD414

(Not mine in the photo)

114A16494F6DC44741D21C

I wondered how long it would take for HD414s to turn up in this thread. My introduction to proper stereo was my sister's pair.