Hi from freezing Canberra!

It's time I give myself a proper introduction.  I'm Damien from Canberra and I'm a audiophile tragic!   Back in 1998 when I first saw the 800's Nautilus with McIntosh gear, I was immediately in love.  Dream of one day I might own a set has slowly becoming a reality.  I'm also in a stage of building a dedicated theatre/hifi room so I will be needing all help that I can get. Thank you for your acceptance!

Damien

• Like 1

Welcome Damo.

I am also an audio tragic, however I must tell about this awesome community:

2.5 years ago I lodged a complaint about my workplace.  At the time, most things were good, stable and I was pretty comfortable in life.

The complaint has pretty much cost me my job, I've lost my beautiful car and possibly will be losing my house in the near future.  The most heart breaking thing of it all was when I sold my Hi-Fi system and pretty much crying whilst carrying the gear into the car of the lovely person that bought it off me (through the SNA classifieds).

The SNA community have provided me with advice, information, books, videos and motivational comments.  

The most amazing thing though, is that I now have a stereo setup that has been purely donated to me by the generous members of our forum and family.  I was bewildered why anyone would want to help me, however I am now the beneficiary of this amazing community and my stereo brings a little joy into my 'almost' joyless life at this present time.

The thread about my story is in the WTB section of the classifieds and should endear you further into this fantastic knowledge base of what is on the surface, an electronic and music forum, but for some, a real support network and an expression of the genuine people that exist in what can sometimes be misinterpreted as a jaded society.

Big shout outs to @rantan, @Grizzly, @Cafad, @Bill125812, @Roumelio.and @Batty.  Also @disco75 for offering me a turntable - which hasn't arrived - but I've never had a turntable and it's quite exciting to see if I like it.

Welcome again Damo.  Very jelly about those 802's!!!!

Tim. 

Edited by Timos
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Timos said:

Welcome Damo.

I am also an audio tragic, however I must tell about this awesome community:

2.5 years ago I lodged a complaint about my workplace.  At the time, most things were good, stable and I was pretty comfortable in life.

The complaint has pretty much cost me my job, I've lost my beautiful car and possibly will be losing my house in the near future.  The most heart breaking thing of it all was when I sold my Hi-Fi system and pretty much crying whilst carrying the gear into the car of the lovely person that bought it off me (through the SNA classifieds).

The SNA community have provided me with advice, information, books, videos and motivational comments.  

The most amazing thing though, is that I now have a stereo setup that has been purely donated to me by the generous members of our forum and family.  I was bewildered why anyone would want to help me, however I am now the beneficiary of this amazing community and my stereo brings a little joy into my 'almost' joyless life at this present time.

The thread about my story is in the WTB section of the classifieds and should endear you further into this fantastic knowledge base of what is on the surface, an electronic and music forum, but for some, a real support network and an expression of the genuine people that exist in what can sometimes be misinterpreted as a jaded society.

Big shout outs to @rantan, @Grizzly, @Cafad, @Bill125812, @Roumelio.and @Batty.  Also @disco75 for offering me a turntable - which hasn't arrived - but I've never had a turntable and it's quite exciting to see if I like it.

Welcome again Damo.  Very jelly about those 802's!!!!

Tim. 

I must agreed this is a fantastic site, there's a sense of belonging, almost like a second home to me.  I'm sorry to hear about your situation but at the same time have a deep respect the community spirits here.  Just like you I was once lost everything and I really mean everything, house, car etc.....  But instead of of asking "why me", I started asking "why not me", So together, me and my wife took on the challenge and succeed. It's something that I taught my children everyday, be humble and never afraid of losses.  Things happen for a reason.  I wish you best of luck towards your recovery. 

Cheers

Damien

• Like 1

Hi Damon, welcome aboard. I've had some great enjoyment powering speakers with vintage McIntosh amps, and have been fortunate in trying many other brands over the years. They do it very well for me. Currently running a 2100 (2 x 100w but blows away many so-called 200w jobs) and have also in the past had the later but also vintage 2105 with similar results. Their approach to amplifier construction is spot on for me.

Edited by Spinnergeoff
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Spinnergeoff said:

Hi Damon, welcome aboard. I've had some great enjoyment powering speakers with vintage McIntosh amps, and have been fortunate in trying many other brands over the years. They do it very well for me. Currently running a 2100 (2 x 100w but blows away many so-called 200w jobs) and have also in the past had the later but also vintage 2105 with similar results. Their approach to amplifier construction is spot on for me.

I've always been a McIntosh fanboy. I tried to look for other amps to pair with the 802, PS audio, Classe etc, but always going back to the McIntosh.  You're right about their approach to construction, it's one of those amp you'd keep for decades.  I've deposited for the mc452, but still incline whether to get 2x mc601 or not.  Since the 802 recommended amp rating at 50-500w, I'm not sure if the 601 is an overkill.

Guest Point source

Dear Tragic,

welcome to the forums.

By now you have seen by the lovely responses to your cry for help that we are all 'tragic' audiophools  here.

Should you feel the pressing need to lend your gear out for a very very very extended break away from you, plz call and I will be on your doorstep the next day 'after driving thru the night from rainy Frankston South in Vic. Yes I kno my humour needs tweaking hehe 

Regards, Brian

Guest Point source
28 minutes ago, Spinnergeoff said:

Most of the Mac amps drive so well that they make other brands power ratings seem a bit limp.

Yeh you need serious grunt to feed Maggies at 3-4 ohms!

ok due diligence , I do have a Sanders Magtech amp to drive the Tymp's.

BUT I really like McIntosh 'green'

Edited by Point source

Ahh yes, the temperature in Canberra at this time of year. Nothing quite like standing on the parade ground at RMC feeling that stiff icy breeze cutting through your vital areas. And looking at the guy's face next to you hoping that you too weren't turning blue. Never mind - you couldn't see properly after a while anyway. That was the first time I'd ever lost a filling because my teeth were chattering so hard. Try explaining that to the Army dentist...

Anyway - welcome and enjoy!

59 minutes ago, gemini07 said:

Ahh yes, the temperature in Canberra at this time of year. Nothing quite like standing on the parade ground at RMC feeling that stiff icy breeze cutting through your vital areas. And looking at the guy's face next to you hoping that you too weren't turning blue. Never mind - you couldn't see properly after a while anyway. That was the first time I'd ever lost a filling because my teeth were chattering so hard. Try explaining that to the Army dentist...

Anyway - welcome and enjoy!

That's why I love tube amps, it double as a feel good heater.

Welcome to the family. I, as many of the other member who have posted, have found the forums to be a great place to learn and discuss this audio phenomenon :)

The rain has been needed, I just wish it didn't drop the temps so much.... but August in Canberra is a cold cold time of the year.... the wind, the damn wind :(

How much radiant heat do you get of those tubes anyway?

Dan

34 minutes ago, Gijo1977 said:

Welcome to the family. I, as many of the other member who have posted, have found the forums to be a great place to learn and discuss this audio phenomenon :)

The rain has been needed, I just wish it didn't drop the temps so much.... but August in Canberra is a cold cold time of the year.... the wind, the damn wind :(

How much radiant heat do you get of those tubes anyway?

Dan

It's -2 degrees tonight, I took the family out for dinner at 5:30pm and it feels like -5 with the winds.  

If I turn the all the tubes monoblock, tubes pre-amp, tubes phono pre on, I reckon it can add at least 5 degrees to room temp.  And if I want some more extra heats, all I need to do is put on Disco Inferno "burn baby burn" :D.

• 3 weeks later...