Is KEF LS50 Wireless best active bookshelf speaker yet?

Guest thathifiguy
8 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

ELAC Air-X would be a good consideration. I was seriously considering these until a Luxman L-550 integrated swayed me to stay with separates.

I feel as though ELAC are a very underappreciated brand locally. I have BS 403's and adore them.

Just now, thathifiguy said:

I feel as though ELAC are a very underappreciated brand locally. I have BS 403's and adore them.

Great to know. I just checked website and it is selling at over $4K.. I always thought that Elac is value driven company and offer great mid price range speakers.... Air-X 403 is actually more expensive than LS50W and sits between LS50W and Dyn Focus XD-20 in terms of price.. (No idea how it perform against Air-X403 and XD-20 though). 

Guest thathifiguy
3 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

Great to know. I just checked website and it is selling at over $4K.. I always thought that Elac is value driven company and offer great mid price range speakers.... Air-X 403 is actually more expensive than LS50W and sits between LS50W and Dyn Focus XD-20 in terms of price.. (No idea how it perform against Air-X403 and XD-20 though). 

The LS50W are actually very well priced locally, considering their 2000 pound pricetag in the UK, we get them for $3800 here, unlike the passive model which are 800 pound vs $2600.

In my opinion, ELAC are typically excellent for the money, but all things being relative, the Air-X 403 retails for near enough to 3000 pounds, so there is no surprise that they are more expensive. I'm assuming one reason for that is that ELAC build entirely in-house in Germany.

As stated above, I have the passive version 403 speakers and love them, I also quite like both the active LS50s and the passive ones. 

1 hour ago, thathifiguy said:

The LS50W are actually very well priced locally, considering their 2000 pound pricetag in the UK, we get them for $3800 here, unlike the passive model which are 800 pound vs $2600.

In my opinion, ELAC are typically excellent for the money, but all things being relative, the Air-X 403 retails for near enough to 3000 pounds, so there is no surprise that they are more expensive. I'm assuming one reason for that is that ELAC build entirely in-house in Germany.

As stated above, I have the passive version 403 speakers and love them, I also quite like both the active LS50s and the passive ones. 

Yep, all ELAC design and manufacturing on 200 series and above still done in Germany. Most people who have heard the the Air-X 403 are blown away by how much bottom end they muster without losing control, so much so that the large Air-X 407 dont seem to offer a lot more for the (lot more) extra cash.
I use floorstanders in my music space yet the sheer performance of these active standmounts left me speechless that I was all set for a transition back to ELAC.

Edited by Hydrology
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

Yep, all ELAC design and manufacturing on 200 series and above still done in Germany. Most people who have heard the the Air-X 403 are blown away by how much bottom end they muster without losing control, so much so that the large Air-X 407 dont seem to offer a lot more for the (lot more) extra cash.
I use floorstanders in my music space yet the sheer performance of these active standmounts left me speechless that I was all set for a transition back to ELAC.

Wow, Air-X 403 must be something special that is worth audition and Elac is really competing with top-tier manufacturers well.  403 woofer looks unique !

Guest thathifiguy
1 minute ago, Spider27 said:

Wow, Air-X 403 must be something special that is worth audition and Elac is really competing with top-tier manufacturers well.  403 woofer looks unique !

Yep, the 403 model uses a long throw type woofer. Big foam surrounds so that little driver can move lots of air!

On 01/08/2017 at 11:38 AM, Spider27 said:

Are these two speakers that you are currently selling? I guess that you also have LS50W... If so, could you share your impression? That would be helpful. :) 

The LS50W is not bad in the active bookshelf speaker. Compare the size with XEO6 and the tech with Phantom gold. Also the price is the cheapest one. So its reasonable that not as good as the other 2. But the performance is match the price.

I find out the LS50w need the good power cable. I use the isotek premier cable it improve the sound. And i use the isotek syncro it make a big improve in every way.

Edited by Littlenicky

I do like the Devialet Gold but it seems to lack a bit finesse and warmth and musicality of the LS50Wireless.

Unless your only consideration is how low the bass goes.

The LS50 even the passive one doesn't work too well in a larger room. The bass isn't as room filling in those conditions. You could add a subwoofer to the LS50 for that. Been meaning to hook up the spare B&W PV1D to the LS50W

• Like 1

Personally I don't really like too much bass.

i use to own the phantom sliver but I don't really like it. the gold does much better. 2 set of speakers next to each other. I think the gold is bigger image. More clear. Darker background. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Littlenicky said:

Personally I don't really like too much bass.

i use to own the phantom sliver but I don't really like it. the gold does much better. 2 set of speakers next to each other. I think the gold is bigger image. More clear. Darker background. 

Are you listening to them in stereo pairs? They really are a different beast when you set them up as a pair. Also they need room placement just like other speakers. I am sure the Golds sound better as they should but I see lot's of people with a single Phantom and that is not really giving them a fair go.

On 31/07/2017 at 3:03 PM, Timos said:

My only concern, and this is an old experience (with the old Q Series), is that if you listen at high volumes, the KEF's aren't great.  I've had to replace tweeters (at no expense to me) because of them being blown.  I wouldn't even call it high volume.  I have also seen pictures of the passive LS50's with the same issue.

The speakers are great, but don't like high SPL.  

Timos.

Being active speakers do you think the LS50 wireless would have protection on the amp circuit to prevent this?

2 hours ago, Seandres said:

Being active speakers do you think the LS50 wireless would have protection on the amp circuit to prevent this?

Yes exactly, it does. It mentions that in Darko's write up.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/10/future-fi-now-kefs-ls50-wireless-active-loudspeaker/

I have my Kef X300 at full volume without a problem. 

• Like 2

Quickly auditioned Dyn Xeo 2, KEF LS50W, Dyn Focus 200XD today. I only spent less than 30 minutes due to time constraint though..

Xeo2 was good but distort when the volume is cranked up close to 75 to 80%. It might be okay for near-field but I would not purchase it to fill small to medium sized room. 

LS50W did not distort at high volume and it packs a lot more punch. Bass is fuller and mid & high very clear. Very impressive, indeed.

But, the star of the show was Dyn 200XD. It is taller than LS50W but narrower. Not sure what the cabinet was made of but it was rock solid and quite heavy. 

200XD sounded very powerful. LS50W and 200XD both sounded neutral and musical but 200XD had considerably more force behind them. Both would be fine without sub-woofer at least for me but 200XD is definitely no need. I was very impressed such a small foot print speaker has so much power. 

200XD's midrange was fuller and more compelling when LS50W sounded a bit thin & less emotional comparing with 200XD.

Only issue with 200XD is the price. It is two times more expensive than LS50W... :( 

Given the price difference, I think that LS50W is definitely better value...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

Quickly auditioned Dyn Xeo 2, KEF LS50W, Dyn Focus 200XD today. I only spent less than 30 minutes due to time constraint though..

Xeo2 was good but distort when the volume is cranked up close to 75 to 80%. It might be okay for near-field but I would not purchase it to fill small to medium sized room. 

LS50W did not distort at high volume and it packs a lot more punch. Bass is fuller and mid & high very clear. Very impressive, indeed.

But, the star of the show was Dyn 200XD. It is taller than LS50W but narrower. Not sure what the cabinet was made of but it was rock solid and quite heavy. 

200XD sounded very powerful. LS50W and 200XD both sounded neutral and musical but 200XD had considerably more force behind them. Both would be fine without sub-woofer at least for me but 200XD is definitely no need. I was very impressed such a small foot print speaker has so much power. 

200XD's midrange was fuller and more compelling when LS50W sounded a bit thin & less emotional comparing with 200XD.

Only issue with 200XD is the price. It is two times more expensive than LS50W... :( 

I used to have Dynaudio Focus 110A, which was a great little active speaker! 

Did you happen to see what the EQ setting was with the LS50? 

3 minutes ago, Jonny said:

I used to have Dynaudio Focus 110A, which was a great little active speaker! 

Did you happen to see what the EQ setting was with the LS50? 

Unfortunately, No. I have not thought about checking EQ setting at the back of the speaker while I was auditioning. Sorry. 

15 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

Unfortunately, No. I have not thought about checking EQ setting at the back of the speaker while I was auditioning. Sorry. 

Just made me think of this review I read about them sounding thin but was sorted out with the change of EQ. 

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/kef-ls50-wireless-speaker-review-my-speaker-of-the-year-so-far/

• Like 1

I haven't done a direct comparison but the xeo 4 would be a closer match to the active ls50s. Bug difference between the xeo 2 and xeo 4
I love all the Focus xd range and am still considering selling my 2 channel setup for the 600xd or newer 60xd

Sent from my JAZZ using Tapatalk

39 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

I haven't done a direct comparison but the xeo 4 would be a closer match to the active ls50s. Bug difference between the xeo 2 and xeo 4
I love all the Focus xd range and am still considering selling my 2 channel setup for the 600xd or newer 60xd

Sent from my JAZZ using Tapatalk

Yes. I also thought so but the shop did not have Xeo4. 

If money is no object, then I would take Focus model against any other model mentioned. Very impressive speaker, indeed.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kensington said:

The EQ is very important for ls50w. Also use stand and a set of good power cables will improve the sound. 

Great to know. I might make a visit once more to test with EQ setting. :)

• Like 1

On 04/08/2017 at 7:12 PM, Spider27 said:

Holy Crap. I didn't think the price gap between the 200XD and the LS50wireless was that much but after speaking to my dealer the best price I can get for the 200XD is 5999 where as the KEF LS50s i can get for $3500. Given these will be my bedroom setup I will probably go for the LS50s. Plus i have a B&W PV1d sub lying around currently that is not doing anything. Maybe adding that would get me close to the performance of the 200XD. Will be doing a demo next week of the LS50w so will share my thoughts.

Edited by Seandres
  • Like 1