Jump to content
lonewolf

Jvc x30 projector lamp light flashing

Recommended Posts

Tweaky   

A lot of the parts in these PJ's are simple cards that push in/pull out for easy replacement.

I used to have the same problem with my old NEC 3 lens CRT PJ, a board died, just pull it out and put in a new one....they were easy to get.

 

Forward 10 years, and with a Digital Sony PJ that suddenly died on me a week after a put in a new lamp, knowing that I was going to get charged a ridiculous amount to get it fixed [ having dealt with Sony repairs before] I just searched for a 2nd hand replacement unit on Ebay and bought that instead, it ended up cheaper, and it had another unused genuine Sony lamp come with it [actually I think I paid the same amount for the used unit + new Lamp, that I did for the replacement lamp ], so if anything goes wrong with this unit, I've got a pretty good chance of having replacement parts that work in my dead PJ.

 

I was going to suggest you use a multimeter to check if the ballast of your PJ was the problem, but after reading some posts elsewhere, it seems that the places need to probe to check that are near dam right impossible to get at with this PJ without pulling it out of the casing, which is a pity, as it's a lot better [cheaper] to get something repaired if you know exactly what's wrong with it, normally a ballast by itself would not be that expensive [if that is actually the problem], but on these digital PJ's, they are built onto a circuit board, which won't be cheap to replace...that's if you can find a replacement.

 

I hope you can get it fixed, I know what a total PITA it is getting digital stuff fixed, it has pretty much become common practice for repairs to be so costly, it makes them uneconomic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
:) al   

main reason I wouldn't touch the JVCs prior to the Xx5 series. far too many issues. perhaps they think models before the Xx5 series are really getting on quite a bit now and repairers and makers seem to think we live in a throwaway society. getting anything fixed seems a drama with quite a bit of cost to go with it ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lonewolf   

Sadly, Even though i am in IT, when it comes to multimeters and electrical engineering stuff, I am not very confident. Projectors also seem like they are quite tricky / sensitive products, i guess i need to be careful with dust etc if i open it up? I did get JVC to tell me another company that seems to charge 130$ initial fee, so lets see how they go. I guess i am going to be out like 400-500$?

 

Yeah, i have read quite a few people with JVC issues, strange as they seemed to always be rated so well ..i guess its due to their picture quality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
:) al   
14 minutes ago, lonewolf said:

Sadly, Even though i am in IT, when it comes to multimeters and electrical engineering stuff, I am not very confident. Projectors also seem like they are quite tricky / sensitive products, i guess i need to be careful with dust etc if i open it up? I did get JVC to tell me another company that seems to charge 130$ initial fee, so lets see how they go. I guess i am going to be out like 400-500$?

 

Yeah, i have read quite a few people with JVC issues, strange as they seemed to always be rated so well ..i guess its due to their picture quality.

 

pior to the xX5 range they had a lot of issues. particularly lamp related. but also yours is some years old now. and 2nd hand. its the gamble you take buying 2nd hand. you cant also expect things to go forever :) things will fail. some can fail brand new too...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lonewolf   

haha yeah, sad part is i have bought so many projectors (all second hand) and it had to be the this one that had the issues as it was my best one of the bunch. I guess thats what happens when i keep upgrading quite often. I think each projector i ever bought, i only ended up using like for a couple of hundred or a few hundred hours before upgrading again. So maybe i was just lucky and never used it long enough for it to have issues. Even this one, I believe i have only used it for a few hundred hours but i did have it for a few years now, I am not sure also if the previous owner did anything dodgy with it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lonewolf   

WOW!!! Tecworks (seven Hills) just got back to me with the quote to fix it. 730$ to repair the ballast problem.... I paid 132$ already for the to look at it, so i guess its another 600$ on top to fix it... Ouch, I think that might be the cost of the projector on the second hand market? Or close to at least. They said that involves a complete clean etc but wow these guys really make a lot of money on repairs. The parts are apparently 350$.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
:) al   
1 hour ago, lonewolf said:

Should i go ahead with the repair or do people feel its not worth it for this projector?

 

Whats it worth 2nd hand once do fix. Or are you planing to continue using forever an day vs buying something else new or 2nd hand

 

i saw a x35 for $1800 or new x5500

 have to weigh up against those

 

new will buy some peace of mind with warranty. Old without warranty will leave possibility of something failing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tweaky   

If you weren't to get it repaired, what would you be spending your money on replacing it with? And how much would you be looking at spending ?

Another secondhand unit or a new one ?

I suppose your previous means of upgrading has been to sell whatever you were using at the time, and use the money from that for the next purchase.

Since you will end up spending $865 all up to get it fixed, and if you were to sell it as soon as you got it repaired, you'd basically only have $1000 in your pocket for the PJ if you managed to sell it for $1800, that's if somebody want's it and is prepared to pay that for it.

 

Another option is to 'try' and sell the PJ broken, telling what the problem is and what the quote was to get it fixed, at least getting something back for it, how much that might be I wouldn't hazard a guess.

I don't know how many people would be interested in buying a PJ in that state, as I think they would see it as too much of a risk, and I think most people interested in buying a PJ currently would be looking to get one that can do 4K, well a pixel shifting model anyway.

 

The bottom line is to get a new PJ of equivalent picture quality your going to be up for $4400 for a Epson TW8300/9300 or add another $1500 for JVC's current entry level  X5500.

Both sums are a lot more than $865.

And if you don't use the PJ that much anyway [plus you have recently bought a new lamp for it], it seems a bit more logical to get it fixed, use it till you save enough cash to by a replacement , then sell it on ASAP before something else goes wrong with it.

Just don't try selling it to me :D

 

 

Edited by Tweaky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lonewolf   
17 hours ago, Tweaky said:

If you weren't to get it repaired, what would you be spending your money on replacing it with? And how much would you be looking at spending ?

Another secondhand unit or a new one ?

I suppose your previous means of upgrading has been to sell whatever you were using at the time, and use the money from that for the next purchase.

Since you will end up spending $865 all up to get it fixed, and if you were to sell it as soon as you got it repaired, you'd basically only have $1000 in your pocket for the PJ if you managed to sell it for $1800, that's if somebody want's it and is prepared to pay that for it.

 

Another option is to 'try' and sell the PJ broken, telling what the problem is and what the quote was to get it fixed, at least getting something back for it, how much that might be I wouldn't hazard a guess.

I don't know how many people would be interested in buying a PJ in that state, as I think they would see it as too much of a risk, and I think most people interested in buying a PJ currently would be looking to get one that can do 4K, well a pixel shifting model anyway.

 

The bottom line is to get a new PJ of equivalent picture quality your going to be up for $4400 for a Epson TW8300/9300 or add another $1500 for JVC's current entry level  X5500.

Both sums are a lot more than $865.

And if you don't use the PJ that much anyway [plus you have recently bought a new lamp for it], it seems a bit more logical to get it fixed, use it till you save enough cash to by a replacement , then sell it on ASAP before something else goes wrong with it.

Just don't try selling it to me :D

 

 

 

Thanks for the info, Thats exactly what i needed to make up my mind :). I think i will repair it and keep it for a few more years till 4k and led / laser is affordable and content of that is out there on foxtel  / streaming etc. They reckon they will also perform a clean and service to bring it back to new... well as new as can be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tweaky   

IMHO the best bang for buck you can spend next to buying a totally new PJ, is spending US$200 on Chromapure standard calibration software and a Xrite i1 display pro meter.AUS $350

http://www.chromapure.com/products-chromapure.asp

https://imagescience.com.au/products/calibrators/calibrator-recommendations

You will be able to calibrate all your TV's, PC monitors and PJ, plus all your friends , very easily......the difference is NOT SMALL, it's well worth the outlay.

 

Checkout the ISF Calibration Photos thread of this forum for examples.

 

The beauty is, the latest version of Chromapure also calibrates 4k HDR, so come the time when you do replace your PJ and have a few hundred hours on the lamp [ You can easily do a reading of what it was like out of the box and save it], but it's best to leave calibrating a PJ for at least 150 hours of use, as the lamps dim the most over that short period, then stabilize, it's then you want to calibrate it.

 

All the test signals/patterns are generated by the software, so no need for a test disc.

It's a dead simple procedure, all you need is a laptop with HDMI out, and to be able to do point a meter at a screen and click a mouse.

It can make a old PJ look very much like new again, or better than new if you have never seen a properly calibrated screen before...[It will be a WTF moment when you see what your current PJ IS capable of]

Edited by Tweaky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wimbo   
On 8/9/2017 at 3:51 PM, lonewolf said:

WOW!!! Tecworks (seven Hills) just got back to me with the quote to fix it. 730$ to repair the ballast problem.... I paid 132$ already for the to look at it, so i guess its another 600$ on top to fix it... Ouch, I think that might be the cost of the projector on the second hand market? Or close to at least. They said that involves a complete clean etc but wow these guys really make a lot of money on repairs. The parts are apparently 350$.

So you didnt take it to Westview. Where did you get the $350 price? Also, I find that price reasonable. Having had to look after JVC repairs for a while, I found the main company slow and tedious.

Much preferred Hagemeyer, even though they could be tedious at times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×