Jvc x30 projector lamp light flashing

My jvc x30 just stopped working. Standby and warning lights are solid red and the lamp light flashes orange twice at a time. Is it just a lamp replacement or is it something worse. Worried it might be something worse as I don't have my spare jvc hd550 anymore as a replacement :(

I hadn't used it for like 2 years and then started to use it again when I had set up my room and that was only like 2 months ago. Also since I had started using it again I did notice a couple of times while watching it that it would go blank or for a second or so then the picture would come back. Does that sound like the lamp was going? I hope it's just the lamp and not anything else. 

Judging by other reports about the warning lights, it could possibly just be the lamp that has gone....see link below of similar problem.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/jvc/85642-jvc-d-ila-x3-red-orange-red-code-service-experience.html

That would be the best case scenario.

Other possibilities....

Any piece of electronic equipment that hasn't been powered up in a long time can suffer from capacitor failure .

The capacitors hold the initial charge to start up the power to the lamp, if not the lamp itself that has gone, it could be this which had started to go with the momentary blackout, and has fully gone now, if it is it should be a easy fix by just replacing the start up caps, as they are only a few dollars each.....usually if a capacitor goes, there is a little bit of smoke seen, but if the unit is behind you, I doubt you would have seen this, especially if in the dark, so hard to tell......well you could open the PJ up to see, but you would have to know what a blown capacitor looked like first, otherwise it's rather pointless doing so.

Worse case, it could be something more expensive that has gone, something like the deflection board in the PJ, this is what controls pixel alignment / electronic convergence [when you alter picture shape to rectangle when ceiling mounting PJ ],since no repair place actually does board level repairs any more [takes knowledge and time to find which single component has gone ] repair places usually just swap a new for old, but it's expensive, and if found to be the problem you might deem the expense too much, and be better off putting the money towards a new PJ.

I didnt smell or see any smoke, The projector still starts initially as normal with the green LED but no light from the projector and then after about 10 seconds or so, it goes back to the warning LEDs. So hopefully its just the lamp as i did also come across some threads that seemed to hint at the lamp. I have ordered a replacement lamp and am probably picking it up today.

Couldnt decide where to order myprojectorlamps, justprojectorlamps or ozlamps. In the end Ozlamps seemed the cheapest. They all seem to have the option of original lamp in a generic housing which is the option i went with.

I replaced my JVC X500 lamp with one from the three websites you mentioned but I found the new lamp was no better than the one I was replacing!  Light output was poor.  I returned it and went original stock in the end, around $600.  I then had the projector faulting similar to your lights, and it ended up being an issue with the ballast.  It took 6 months to get it repaired.  I could have had a new Japanese car built and shipped to Australia within that time!  It wasn't the retailers fault, JVC were difficult to deal with.  Anyway, hopefully it's just the lamp, that's certainly the better scenario.

On 7/28/2017 at 11:57 PM, lonewolf said:

My jvc x30 just stopped working. Standby and warning lights are solid red and the lamp light flashes orange twice at a time. Is it just a lamp replacement or is it something worse. Worried it might be something worse as I don't have my spare jvc hd550 anymore as a replacement :(

Did you clean the filter?

bugger,  I was also worried it might be the ballast as the lamp seemed to look ok although i am not sure if you can tell by looking at a lamp to see if its gone or not. If it is another problem then i am buying a lamp module for no reason.

1 minute ago, Wimbo said:

Did you clean the filter?

I cleaned the filter but only after the issue happened, I had completely forgotten about it before. The filter was dusty, but didnt seem terrible although i could be wrong. What i do know is it was in a dustier environment before i moved it to the new place so besides not being used for a couple of years, before that while it was being used it was in a bit of a dusty environment due to the carpet etc. I can see dust inside the vents in the front / rear of the projector and i tried the vacuum but it wasnt strong enough to collect the dust.

Yeah I have no idea how to look at a lamp and tell it's condition, I'd imagine you'd have to test it with a multimeter or something.

The feedback from JVC is that the ballast just doesn't fail in their products, it's more common in other brands, so I think I was unlucky there.  This is part of the reason why there was such a long delay, JVC had to source an uncommon part.  The other delay was in their authorised repairer who continually claimed it was the lamp (despite it being brand new and testing perfect).  A new authorised repairer diagnosed the ballast, but that's a whole different story...

2 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

Yeah I have no idea how to look at a lamp and tell it's condition, I'd imagine you'd have to test it with a multimeter or something.

The feedback from JVC is that the ballast just doesn't fail in their products, it's more common in other brands, so I think I was unlucky there.  This is part of the reason why there was such a long delay, JVC had to source an uncommon part.  The other delay was in their authorised repairer who continually claimed it was the lamp (despite it being brand new and testing perfect).  A new authorised repairer diagnosed the ballast, but that's a whole different story...

JVC are bloody slow mate, I can tell you that. My experience was that any part beside a globe were few and far between. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lonewolf said:

If I do need to get it repaired, what are the options in Sydney? Any near Epping or Strathfield areas?

From what I remember, Castle Hill, Westview Electronics.

31 minutes ago, lonewolf said:

Cool,thanks, thats not too far from me at least....Close to the in-laws.....shudder...

Sydney Hifi is also in Castle Hill..... oh would you just look at the time..... I just don't know where it  all went...... :D:P 

On 29/07/2017 at 8:45 AM, lonewolf said:

I hadn't used it for like 2 years and then started to use it again when I had set up my room and that was only like 2 months ago. Also since I had started using it again I did notice a couple of times while watching it that it would go blank or for a second or so then the picture would come back. Does that sound like the lamp was going? I hope it's just the lamp and not anything else. 

that could just be a hdmi glitch. if cable source/switcher/pre or what ever is not upto things.

1 hour ago, lonewolf said:

If I do need to get it repaired, what are the options in Sydney? Any near Epping or Strathfield areas?

i would drop oztheatre a line, likely you didnt get from him but might be able to atleast point in direction !  that is if no joy with castle hill.

1 hour ago, Kaynin said:

yeah am not liking the sounds of the support. I found them faultless in turn around when my new unit was doa. and VERY good to hear the new authorised repairer seems to have head screwed on :) is that the doncaster option ? 

38 minutes ago, :) al said:

that could just be a hdmi glitch. if cable source/switcher/pre or what ever is not upto things.

i would drop oztheatre a line, likely you didnt get from him but might be able to atleast point in direction !  that is if no joy with castle hill.

yeah am not liking the sounds of the support. I found them faultless in turn around when my new unit was doa. and VERY good to hear the new authorised repairer seems to have head screwed on :) is that the doncaster option ? 

Yep, JLS Electronics can now repair JVC projectors.  Even that took some time because JVC had him sign a contract and associated documents, but sent him the wrong ones!  It all added to the delay by at least 1 month.  Simply, as soon as JLS took the job over it went quickly.  He diagnosed the fault correctly when the authorised JVC repairer had been arguing that the issue was a faulty globe - but it had a brand new one and the retailer had tested it to be working fine!

Edited by Kaynin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

Yep, JLS Electronics can now repair JVC projectors.  Even that took some time because JVC had him sign a contract and associated documents, but sent him the wrong ones!  It all added to the delay by at least 1 month.  Simply, as soon as JLS took the job over it went quickly.  He diagnosed the fault correctly, the authorised JVC repairer was arguing a faulty globe, but it had a brand new one and the retailer had tested it to be working fine!

Was this a tech in Surrey Hills? When my initial X7000 had some flaring issues (quite a few of the first batch were replaced) I took it there and he reported no issues despite my photos. Got it replaced once I went back to the retailer.

2 hours ago, blybo said:

Was this a tech in Surrey Hills? When my initial X7000 had some flaring issues (quite a few of the first batch were replaced) I took it there and he reported no issues despite my photos. Got it replaced once I went back to the retailer.

No idea, the retailer never mentioned who JVC initially sent it to.  However, the retailer said that when the tech argued black and blue it was the globe, they went back to JVC and said send it to someone else.  JVC then wanted to post it to one of their repairers in Sydney, but the retailer said that they send other brands to JLS without any issues at all, so why not them?

58 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

No idea, the retailer never mentioned who JVC initially sent it to.  However, the retailer said that when the tech argued black and blue it was the globe, they went back to JVC and said send it to someone else.  JVC then wanted to post it to one of their repairers in Sydney, but the retailer said that they send other brands to JLS without any issues at all, so why not them?

As a previous Integra/Onkyo owner, I've used JLS a few times and always been happy with the work, although the bedside manner can use some work.

I emailled westview and JVC yesterday evening, Westview have got back to me with a initial quote price of 198$ and said it may be more than that depending on what the issue is but the minimum price i will have to pay is that amount.