Cheap DAC needed

I'm looking for suggestions re a decent cheap dac to run a streamer into a 2nd system. Has to have optical input. New or used is cool. Anything under a ton would be great. Any suggestions?

Cheers

M

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, sloper said:

Goodaye

l have one of these, great sound great value.

https://www.jdslabs.com/products/176/ol-dac/

regards Bruce

I am looking for something similar as the analogue output on my Laptop has crapped out and this would be a good chance to upgrade. Is there anything in the same price range that outputs in Toslink along with the usual Analogue

Guest scumbag

I really like the micromega mydac as a fun budget dac. They do pop up on Gumtree and SNA from time to time. Should be about 250 to 350. A cheap and very cheerful dac. It does veer towards detail so partnering with bright gear is best avoided. I really enjoyed listening to it with a cheap rotel integrated in my home system. The older rega dac reviews well. Should be about 400+. They have the rega house sound from what I can tell I.e more earthy and dark. Both different presentations but perhaps  both appealing in their own way. 

Edited by scumbag

• 1 month later...

I am looking to buy my first external DAC and i have a very tight budget. While i save for a nicer one.

Is the Muse doing to work with Audivarna/Vox from a Mac Mini to Vintage AMP? or is this designed for headfone scenario only?

The only other options i can find are JDSlabs and used Project Box .

What else is worth considering up to around 150AUD? I just want it to be noticeably better/clearer than the mac mini.

Edited by JPete9

15 hours ago, MattyW said:

The S.M.S.L M8 is a very hard DAC to beat.  You can often pick it up new for $180 on eBay 

Yep, SMSL DACs have a great performance to price ratio. I've been running a Chromecast connected to a SMSL Sanskrit for about 18 months and I'm still happy with it.   

The Sanskrit was my very first separate DAC.... I run a Gustard DAC-X12 in my main system though I think the S.M.S.L. M8 comes very very close to it..... A little more lively sounding than the Gustard though thats it despite the Gustard having a far superior implementation.