IN THE GROOVE VINYL RECORD CLEANER

IN THE GROOVE VINYL RECORD CLEANER

re eived one of these as a gift  today in the mail

it looks like a set paint roller with a tacky sticky surface you roll it over the surface of the record and the crisp on the record adverts to the roller .you wash it maybe once a week under s tap no soap.

it has made a considerable improvement to SQ. 

Currently Ian  seeing it as an adjunct to a RCM not a replacement.

Any other users out there?

Any negatives?

• Like 2

Some bunk has been written on this product, by people who have used similar sticky cleaning products bought from hardware stores.  Some people just like comparing apples with oranges.  I'd hate t0 have them buy fruit for me.   Here are some reviews.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/in_the_groove_e.html

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/groove-record-cleaning-roller

Very similar to a product I used back in the 70's called the Pixel roller, except it was like a very wide roll of inverted masking tape which you would just peel off when dirty to reveal a fresh adhesive surface. It was very effective but I got sick of buying fresh refills and eventually they became unavailable anyway.  The In the Groove roller would most likely be better than the carbon fibre brushes I and a lot of us use for quick LP cleans......:thumb:  Michael Fremer likes it!:P

This seems to work really well. Where can I get one?

Got mine at the Hi-Fi show in Melbourne a couple of years ago from Brian of Decibel...haven't used it much, must give it another shot.
He's selling them for $35 with free shipping.
http://www.decibelhifi.com.au/in-the-groove-record-cleaner/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Mine came from Decibel

@stevoz  this is more advanced the roller is coated with a tacky film designed for surgical use and appears to last almost indefinitely .

A wash under clean warm water every 10-15 albums.

apparently the rights to the hifi use is held by a surgeon

Edited by djb

The only problem that i can see is ... the sticky film will remove dust from the surface of the LP ... but the dust you want to get rid of ... is in the grooves (where the stylus lives)!  :(

There's no way the sticky surface of a flat roller can get down into them there grooves.

Andy

Guest Point source
2 hours ago, andyr said:

The only problem that i can see is ... the sticky film will remove dust from the surface of the LP ... but the dust you want to get rid of ... is in the grooves (where the stylus lives)!  :(

There's no way the sticky surface of a flat roller can get down into them there grooves.

Andy

I consider it an adjunct to washing your records anyway you can. In my case it definitely removes dust and material after you place that clean record on the platter only to find the vinyl ain't as clean as you thought.

1 hour ago, Point source said:

I consider it an adjunct to washing your records anyway you can. In my case it definitely removes dust and material after you place that clean record on the platter only to find the vinyl ain't as clean as you thought.

Sure, Brian - ie. use as a replacement for a CF brush (like stevoz does) - not as a replacement for wet/vac or US cleaning.  Should work very well.  :thumb:

Andy

Yes nothing supplants a wash.

@buddyev and @Jamesg11 spotted the roller and interestingly I had a record to hand which had just arrived from Germany so we used only the roller as we were hurrying to a gtg. Surprisingly it made a considerable improvement to SQ .

Edited by djb
Shitte expression
  • Like 1

Guest Point source
1 hour ago, djb said:

Yes nothing supplants a wash.

@buddyev and @Jamesg11 spotted the roller and interestingly I had a record to hand which had just arrived from Germany so we used only the roller as we were hurrying to a gtg. Surprisingly it made a considerable improvement to SQ .

Agreed the roller works exceedingly well 'even' on unwashed opp shop records.

1 hour ago, Wimbo said:

I wonder if those Lint Rollers for clothes etc do the same thing?

Brother in law left a few here once and I've never used them.

Might give it a try on an old LP.

Don't.   The lint cleaners, etc, are basically double sided tape on a roller.   Would you clean your records using sticky tape and the residue they leave?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, generichs said:

Don't.   The lint cleaners, etc, are basically double sided tape on a roller.   Would you clean your records using sticky tape and the residue they leave?  

Ok. cheers mate.:)

4 hours ago, generichs said:

I did, well sort of. See post number 4.:)

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Qwertyqaz said:

Did you find that the brush creates static electricity on the record ?

The carbon fibre brushes are supposed to be electrically inert so they shouldn't create static, in fact they should absorb/neutralise it. This is what I am lead to believe. Personally, I have never experienced raised static levels when using a carbon fibre brush.:thumb:

6 minutes ago, stevoz said:

The carbon fibre brushes are supposed to be electrically inert so they shouldn't create static, in fact they should absorb/neutralise it. This is what I am lead to believe. Personally, I have never experienced raised static levels when using a carbon fibre brush.:thumb:

I was referring to using the groove brush not the carbon one.

8 minutes ago, Qwertyqaz said:

I was referring to using the groove brush not the carbon one.

It's not a brush.....:P but I get what you mean:). My guess is that it wouldn't, my old 'Pixel' roller (similar to the ITG roller) never seemed to create static.:thumb: