Yamaha RX-A3060 v RX-A3070

I have recently tried to read up on the latest RX-3070 to see what upgrades it has over the 3060 and can't see that much difference in specifications. Has anybody be else looked into comparing the two units and noticed any decent upgrades?

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO

Guest thathifiguy
36 minutes ago, TerryO said:

I have recently tried to read up on the latest RX-3070 to see what upgrades it has over the 3060 and can't see that much difference in specifications. Has anybody be else looked into comparing the two units and noticed any decent upgrades?

cheers Terry

Hi Terry,

I think you'll find most updates on these receivers are virtually namesake only. Typically if there has been any improvements to HDMI since the previous model, they will feature it, otherwise, barring some minor cosmetic differences it will remain more or less the same.

Yamaha are claiming the receiver has been "european tuned " instead of "japanese tuned". So I guess in a nut shell the 3070 wont be as bright as the 3060. The 3070 also has the ESS 9026 DAC instead of the ESS9016 DAC that is fitted to the 3060. I'm interested in how this DAC compares to the AKM DAC's fitted to Marantz / Denon receivers.

Edited by digitalhome
  • Like 1

I think as far as the Denons go you would need the 7 series receiver to get the AKM 4490 dac, the same as used in the Klein DACs which were awesome.

Edited by powerav
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, digitalhome said:

Yamaha are claiming the receiver has been "european tuned " instead of "japanese tuned". So I guess in a nut shell the 3070 wont be as bright as the 3060. The 3070 also has the ESS 9026 DAC instead of the ESS9016 DAC that is fitted to the 3060. I'm interested in how this DAC compares to the AKM DAC's fitted to Marantz / Denon receivers.

Sounds like some good improvements but more than likely not quite enough for me to sell the 3060 for the 3070.

Thanks for the info.

cheers Terry

Just wondering if you folks can tell me if the DSP in the new Yamahas will flatten out a frequency response curve of a subwoofer ie. make it sound better and louder at lower frequencies.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

I now have a 3070 here and it reminds me of why I won't go to any other brand! Maybe it's the new DAC's, but there is even more audio detail with this receiver compared to the 3060, and that was good. There is a little less push on treble and bit more in the bass from what I perceive.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, digitalhome said:

I now have a 3070 here and it reminds me of why I won't go to any other brand! Maybe it's the new DAC's, but there is even more audio detail with this receiver compared to the 3060, and that was good. There is a little less push on treble and bit more in the bass from what I perceive.

How is the latest YPAO working for you? The 3070 still cannot be used as a USB DAC, is that correct?

17 hours ago, digitalhome said:

It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on the 3070 in a month or two. I know our 3060 improved sq wise considerably once it had a couple of hundred hours up on it. Originally it was not that impressive and lead me to buy a dedicated 2-channel amp, which greatly improved sq. The 3060 was relegated to home threater and tv duties, then after a couple of months of heavy usage I again used it for 2-channel duties and was blown away at how much it had improved, still not as good as the dedicated amplifiers but greatly improved over how it originally sounded when new.

cheers Terry

• Like 1

On 04/08/2017 at 4:36 PM, digitalhome said:

How do you listen to 2 channel stereo, via musiccast or hdmi from a streamer or similar?

4 hours ago, powerav said:

How do you listen to 2 channel stereo, via musiccast or hdmi from a streamer or similar?

I listen to flac's and 320kbps mp3's from the NAS using the inbuilt client in the 3070, or if i feel up to it I use the Oppo as the client. 

On 8/5/2017 at 5:51 AM, Roland P. said:

How is the latest YPAO working for you? The 3070 still cannot be used as a USB DAC, is that correct?

I don't feel there is a great deal of difference but with the 3060 I used "front" mode for the YAPO. I found "flat" to be way to bright and a little harsh. Not so on the 3070. I'm using "flat" and it works for my ears.

On 25/07/2017 at 9:00 AM, TerryO said:

cheers Terry

In my opinion it is waste of money. It is much better to get the RX A860 + power amplifier/integrated amp with HT . 

2 hours ago, Kezzbot said:

Not if you want at least 5.1.4. That A860 is only 7.1 surround.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

I think it is 7.2 or 5.2.2 . Amplification quality gives better overall experience then more speakers. 

I'm actually now in the market for a second Yamaha RX-A 60 series AV Receiver for a set up at work, looking at anyone of the RX-A models from the 1060, 2060 to a 3060 secondhand if anyone knows of any out there. I have checked out the ExcelHIfi refurbished website, but would rather buy one that has not had issues if there is one out there for for a reasonable price.

cheers Terry

On 04/08/2017 at 2:36 PM, digitalhome said:

The new A3070 now gives you the choice to select 3 types of digital filters:

- Sharp (typical brickwall that comes with pre and post ringing)

- Slow (less pre ringing, better temporal transient response, with a more gradual curve, but roll off top frequencies earlier around 18kHz)

- Short Latency  (or more commonly known as apodising filter as touted by Meridien and Ayre, that eliminates pre ringing totally, providing precise, stable imaging and less of the top frequencies truncation like the slow filter)

Default filter is Short Latency

This feature was previously available only on the pre pro model CX-A5100. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 15/08/2017 at 2:32 PM, TerryO said:

I'm actually now in the market for a second Yamaha RX-A 60 series AV Receiver for a set up at work, looking at anyone of the RX-A models from the 1060, 2060 to a 3060 secondhand if anyone knows of any out there. I have checked out the ExcelHIfi refurbished website, but would rather buy one that has not had issues if there is one out there for for a reasonable price.

cheers Terry

Hi Terry, not sure if you are interested. I have a 3050 Avantage which was purchased April 2016 so you still have over 2 years warranty. Perfect condition, with box, remote as new. I have it on eBay at the moment but make me an offer if this is something you would consider. Cheers, paul 

Hi Paul, thanks for the offer, I actually purchased about a month ago a second new RXA3060 when they were on sale as a run out special. 

GLWTS, if I had not already purchased the 3060 I would have been very interested in your 3050.

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO