Spider27

Can iMac be connected with external DVD Player?

Spider27   

Hello,

I am not even sure if it is possible and love to get some advice if I may.

Does anyone know how to connect Blu-Ray Disc/DVD player to iMac 27" (2011 model)?

I just would like to watch some live concert DVDs/Blu-rays Discs before heading to bed while doing internet browsing. iMac 27 used to have internal DVD ROM but I have replaced it with with SSD to improve performance long time ago and no longer have it any longer.

I have spare Sony BDP-S370 to use at the moment hence checking the possibility. :)  

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

sony-BDPS370-rearconnect-lg.jpg

I would say No to that Sony unit 

But probably Yes to a dedicated USB external CD / DVD player / burner 

Hergest   

My wife wanted to do the same with an iMac but there was just no way of connecting up a DVD player. She bought a USB wotsit as Full Range said. I think it was only $39.99 or something like that. It appears to be a flimsy piece of crap when you pick it up but it works.

blybo   

This is what you want if only doing CD/DVD.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/accessories/apple/apple-usb-superdrive/87429/

I use this to rip my CD's to my newer iMac that doesn't have an inbuilt DVD drive. There are others that will play BD as well like this

https://www.macfixit.com.au/archgon-macfixit-panasonic-uj-141a-macdrive-usb-3-0-blu-ray-player-superdrive-dvd-dual-layer-burner-great-with-apple-macbook-air-18978/

Spider27   
16 hours ago, blybo said:

This is what you want if only doing CD/DVD.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/accessories/apple/apple-usb-superdrive/87429/

I use this to rip my CD's to my newer iMac that doesn't have an inbuilt DVD drive. There are others that will play BD as well like this

https://www.macfixit.com.au/archgon-macfixit-panasonic-uj-141a-macdrive-usb-3-0-blu-ray-player-superdrive-dvd-dual-layer-burner-great-with-apple-macbook-air-18978/

Thank you so much for your recommendation. I guess that there is no other way but get USB external DVD/BD player instead. :( 

I will leave Sony BD player to TV and get external usb driver instead. 

@Full Range @Hergest @Jonny  Thank you very much for your suggestion, too. :) 

Biff   

I just bought a Superdrive for my iMac on Gumtree, have a look there first, you may find a good bargain.

Spider27   
2 minutes ago, Biff said:

I just bought a Superdrive for my iMac on Gumtree, have a look there first, you may find a good bargain.

Yes, I already got the SuperDrive. Thanks. :)  

I have a simple LG DVD player/burner on my 21" imac via USB. works good for what it is. Lets me rip CD's to FLAC and plays DVD's. Sadly I cant play bluray. No big loss on a 21" screen anyway

Spider27   
3 minutes ago, darth vader said:

I have a simple LG DVD player/burner on my 21" imac via USB. works good for what it is. Lets me rip CD's to FLAC and plays DVD's. Sadly I cant play bluray. No big loss on a 21" screen anyway

Good to hear. I am using superdrive now for quick movie watching on iMac and it does its job. :) 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Tylerhk
      Item: Apple iMac 27 Mid 2010 + Free Accessories
      Price: 750
      Item Condition: Great considering the number of years used
      Reason for selling: Replaced with MacBook Pro
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash
      Extra Info:
      Upgraded the RAM to 16gb. Still working properly Will do a fresh install of OS before selling.
      Come with wireless keyboard and trackpad as shown in the picture. 
      If you are willing to replace the internal HD with SSD, this thing can be really fast. I am running OS from external SSD with FireWire and already it is much better than internal HD.
      Other free assessories to the buyer (condition not guaranteed though):
      - 128g SSD
      - Belkin AV360 HDMI to Mini-Display Port Converter (through this unit you can have hdmi output device to connect to this iMac for using it as the monitor)

• By Luvitloud
      Everyone here has there favorite dvd they display when there trying to impress .when ever I upgrade a new component theres a couple a dvds I always test it out with because they just shine in every way and not because there my favorite bands just because I think they just shine .so share your thoughts readers .im interested in what I may not have:-)
      1 genesis when in rome 2007
      2 eagles farewell tour live in melbourne (love the trumpet intro on hotel california)
      3 eddie veeder water on the road
      4 david gilmore live at the royal albert hall
      5 AC/DC live at ????? (You decide)
    • By Neilsy
      I am considering moving on my Cambridge Audio 751BD Upscaling Blu-ray player.
      Unit is located in Brisbane. I have no problem arranging and including shipping to a metro area nationwide included in the price.
      Unit was $1,299 1-2 years ago when bought.
      Looking for $650 inc delivery.
      Unit is absolutely like new, all parts present. Plays international Blu-rays.
      Will come in original box with manuals, remote, etc.
      All features and functions 100% working, no scratches or any visual, physical or operating defects.
      Potential reason for sale: to fund Oppo BDP-105D that I'm considering which I want for the 32bit DACs and "4k" upscaling.
      Sonically this unit is impressive, I run analogue audio out as you get 5 x Wolfson 24-bit DACs across 7.1 channels that was as opposed to I think just 1 that runs across if you use HDMI.
      It loads fast and you will still get many years out of it. Latest firmware is loaded on it.
      Review the specs for yourself....
      http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/azur-751bd-universal-upsampling-blu-ray-player

• By petetherock
      Took this out for a spin.... and wow...

http://peteswrite.blogspot.sg/2014/11/astell-ak240-hd-audio-player-review.html

The Rolls Royce of portable music players...
      The iPod is the ubiquitous portable player of any budget, and has the lower end market pretty much sealed up.

But what if you are a discerning audiophile that wants to have go at something that plays your lossless music with the same resolution and definition you are accustomed to at home?

For those in this position, there are many options that will cost many times the price of that iPod, and will need better cans or IEMs than those commonly associated with the iPod, but here we have one of the more premium ones in the form of the Astell & Kern AK240 HD-audio player.

First the technical blurb:

http://www.astellnkern.com/eng/htm/ak240/ak240_feature01.asp

It offers DSD playback, a micro SD slot, 256 Gb of hard disk space, and a balanced output as well as the usual 3.5mm headphone out. The DAC uses a Cirrus Logic CS4398 chip.

It retails for around 2000 Euros or under $3300…

For that you are probably expecting some serious fidelity, and it’s quite a device, with a hewn from a single piece of metal heft, and it looks a little like a pocket camera when you first pick it up.

It supports FLAC, WAV, ALAC, AIFF, MP3, OGG, APE, AAC, DFF, and DSF music formats. There’s a touchscreen for naviation as well as play, volume up and down buttons and a wheel if you don’t like the touchscreen.

I used it with some basic cans like the Sennheiser HD 414, UE Superfi and later tried it with the Beyerdynamic DT 880 and others.

It performs well with the less demanding cans and IEMs but it had some difficulty driving the DT 880, and you won’t be using this combination on the road anyway.

The impression was that of a very neutral sound, with an even tone, and no emphasis of any part of the frequencies, and will go well with warm to neutral systems. You get plenty of details and personally I am fond of open cans rather than IEMs, and it’s pretty nice with the expanded soudstage and details. IEMs will do nicely on the move though, and you get some very decent bass extension.

I also compared it to the headphone stage of my Marantz PM 11 and NA 11, and there was little to choose between them, with the two Marantz systems more capable of driving tough to drive cans, and a slightly warmer sound.

The interface is simple, but it does not work with the iTunes / Apple environment, so beware if you are coming from an iTunes setup.

So will you part with more than three grand to get this? It depends a lot on who you are and how demanding you are of your portable music listening experience.

Most of the average Joe consumer won’t understand the need for such high fidelity, but the discerning listening with higher demands will enjoy this and find that the money was well spent.

The noise level is very low, and you can get a decent run from the internal batteries (about 10 hours) and you really eke every ounce of music out of that recording, allowing you the luxury to take your collection of music on the road.

But the main caveat is the word luxury I guess… it’s as expensive as 10 iPod Classics, and does it sound ten times better? Well, not really, but that’s life in the world of diminishing returns in high end music.

If the price doesn’t deter you, this is one very solid piece of equipment.

Other reviews:

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/astell-kern-ak240-music-player

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mp3-player-reviews/astell-kern-ak240-review/

http://www.qobuz.com/ie-en/info/Hi-Fi/In-English/Testing-the-Astell-Kern-AK240-HD175088

http://hometheaterreview.com/astell-kern-ak240-hi-res-music-player-reviewed/
    • By ultradoink
      Hi,
      Acquired new in Feb 2014 and never utilised for its potential having played under 10 Blu-Ray movies in it's life. If interested i'm moving it on for $4.5k. Mint condition and by electronics standards barely run in. I live in Brisbane and happy to help facilitate shipping at buyers expense. It comes with all original accessories and I believe I still have the original boxes in storage. An exhaustive list of 5 star high-end reviews and accolades on the google. But i'm sure you already knew that.
      Cheers,
      Bev