XLR cables?

Forgot to add that say a source provided a faulty signal with a diff error to a true diff preamp there would be no cancellation of the diff error and it would simply be passed to the power amp, For diff cancellation you need in inversion/summation stage electronically or in the core of a transformer.

Sorry talking on the phone and typing.

• Haha 1

Guest scumbag

All the Pass Labs are fully balanced I believe (at least everything after the Aleph stuff) and designed to operate primarily in that mode. They can accept RCA inputs but at a cost to performance.

The super-symmetry circuit that Nelson Pass developed is now out of patent so it is being used in other manufacturers' designs now. I have a Chinese made Xindak preamp that essentially uses a super-symmetry circuit as well.

In the case of this circuit, apart from a 6dB increase in gain (compared to unbalanced), the distortion is greatly lowered in the device:

https://www.passlabs.com/press/super-symmetric-amplification

As for noise, my RCA's are sheilded so I can't imagine that there would be any benefit in my setup using XLR's over RCA's from that point of view. If Vodaphone has their way and gets to install a new antenna in the carpark just behind my office then the situation may change ;) 

1 hour ago, A9X said:

So, what I was actually saying, is that almost all gear is not differential end to end, but as I've described it above. True diff unit, as in the engineering, not the marketing sense are extremely rare, but slightly less so in preamps than poweramps.

thanks for your perspective, and understand what you are suggesting. however true balanced designs in source to pre to power do indeed exist. and they are certainly not so rare or esoteric. I can think of quite a few. and have run myself few sources (disc players to date) fully balanced, a dac i run now 2 pres and power amp all balanced designs. its all not so rare and am not running mega buck gear either....

I do understand the requirements of balanced designs. I understand those that are really SE designs with balanced connectivity whacked on the end - I dont call those truly balanced. I also understand the benefits of balanced can bring and have experienced for myself.

anycase getting back to the OP...there seem to indeed be a few options out there for you XLR cable wise :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've actually dragged the chain a bit with this.  I was all set to order a pair of Mogami based cables but by chance I happened to read that my pre amp although valve output uses op amps prior to the XLR outputs in curcuit.   It's a Doge 8 and in the info on the latest model the company, who seemed to be really honest about their product by the way, stated this info about the XLR outputs and that rca's are slightly superior.    Personally I can't tell the difference but I haven't got decent XLR's to test it out.    I'll look at getting some rca to xlr cables.  I'm using this type of set up now but have to join a set of long rca to rca and then connected to some shorter rca to xlr cables.   

So, when I get around to it I'll order some Mogame rca to XLR cables.

Thanks to all those who contributed to the thread.  I'll update when I get the new cables.

• 3 months later...

Finally I have this sorted.  I took advice from a fellow ATC user and ordered some Canare 1-4E6S based cables out of AudioProLA from the US.  I do like to buy Australian made but even with postage they were heaps cheaper than anything local.  I was drowning in advice on what cabling to buy so in the end I simplified it and went with advice from someone who uses the product with similar gear to mine.