I love the iPad, iPhone and wifi.

dont know where I'd be without them.

given a chance those fridges will have wifi and a camera inside.  So you can look inside the fridge and do a stocktake without going there....[emoji3]

Apparently you don't even need to look it will be the AI doing all the hard job and do the report tailored to your preferences.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, darth vader said:

@Martykt whats wrong with a bit of PVC tube that fits over the pot dial?

Get the best of both worlds, keep the SQ and get your lazy back on:thumb:

Nah... dog kept tripping over it..... :unsure:

Earlier this year I had the opportunity to trial an older and fully manual preamp against my do-everything Audiolab unit.

I knew what I would have to give up if I liked the Theta and I was a little concerned but, the improvement more than made up for it and the system is only a few steps away from my chair at best.

• 2 weeks later...

I've no problem getting up to change the volume. None of my systems have a remote control. I'll take sound quality over convenience any day... Next comes aesthetics.... Convenience is third down my priorities ;)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

But why would SQ suffer because there's a remote volume control?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It doesn't, it's just that the gear that has it without hurting sound quality and my aesthetic preference fall outside of what I'm willing to spend. I also don't mind getting up to change volume or select inputs. It only took a month to adjust to it :)

• Like 1

I get frustrated if I have to manually power things on and off too where's my bacon....

If you go entirely manual (with the exception of the TV) you'll find that the frustration wears off quickly. Besides, turntables are by their very nature manual. It's more an extension of that.

So, turntable: manual, phono stage on/off: manual, amp on / off, input select & volume: manual, DAC input select: manual.

I've found as I get older that remotes irritate me. I just want one for the TV. Going fully manual reminds me of using dad's (early 80's vintage) stereo when I was young. Perhaps it's the memories helped me transition back..... I really think it's the lack of complication though. Turning the gear on and off is more of a ritual prior to relaxation ;)

• Like 1

I have done entire manual mate. Effing hated it :) Turntables are a different animal. But I wouldn't mind some intelligent robot servant doing the rituals for me even then. I enjoy taking pics of them audio gear but otherwise just want the music played.

I have done entire manual mate. Effing hated it [emoji4] Turntables are a different animal. But I wouldn't mind some intelligent robot servant doing the rituals for me even then. I enjoy taking pics of them audio gear but otherwise just want the music played.

Careful, when they gain sentience they'll want better work conditions and all sorts of things..... If they don't kill you first [emoji14]

Careful, when they gain sentience they'll want better work conditions and all sorts of things..... If they don't kill you first [emoji14]

Meh why be so scared they might turn out to be great lawful slaves. Too bad the tech isn't advancing as fast as I'd like it to be really.

I love my Logitech WIFI remote and IR blaster hub. Zero frustration of being out sight of whatever piece I want to control with it. When I leave the house I turn my HIFI off at the front door which is in another room and leave the remote there. Then when I get home I pick the remote up from where I left it and hit the tunes again. :party

Edited by Satanica
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MattyW said:

If not actively listening music playback is with JRiver which I can control over WiFi with an app from my phone.....

Yep me too. It's awesome to be able to adjust volume with your phones volume control.

• Like 1

Just now, Satanica said:

Yep me too. It's awesome to be able to adjust volume with your phones volume control.

my wife keeps doing that which irritates me mildly. i prefer using the analog VC with the digital output at max. can't say i hear much difference but it makes me feel more assured lol

• Like 1

If only the software could override hardware so my wife couldn't turn it down on me :s

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, MattyW said:

If only the software could override hardware so my wife couldn't turn it down on me :s

maybe keep the digital signal away from the pre so you can have the exclusive control over the volume control ;)

On 7/24/2017 at 7:42 PM, Sime said:

I can reach into my fridge while still in bed ;)

Damn! I still have to get off my butt to fetch a brew!