With the main exception of Vinyl these days it seems on the whole the idea of getting up off the couch and a walking a couple of feet to change the volume or to change CDs completely unthinkable..... :unsure:

While I get the convenience factor of streaming with a couple of taps on the iPad and remote controls in general and I get that convenience technology can be beneficial and make a lot of sense like for example using digital files in the car rather than carrying around a heap of CDs.

The question though is when did that convenience become more important the overall sound quality ??

Recently I modified my preamp with a stepped attenuator and by doing so loosing remote control.

There definitely was an improvement in sound quality and you know what, it really isn't that bad walking a couple of metres to change the volume !!

I still stubbornly listen to CDs rather then CA (and in the process of getting my Vinyl rig setup too) for the simple reason I personally feel I can get a better result with CD.

I'm sure there might be some who don't want to hear this but with all this technology at our fingertips these days have we just become plain lazy ??

• Like 3

I suppose it all system dependent. In my case with a Node and my dac, it's as good as cd, so I don't need to do any more work. 

11 minutes ago, Sime said:

I suppose it all system dependent. In my case with a Node and my dac, it's as good as cd, so I don't need to do any more work. 

No issue with that, we all have our preferences and opinions on what sounds good for example Digital vs Vinyl.

Apart from limited space in your caravan hyperthetical question, if CDs played on your particular spinner did sound better than your Node would you primarily then play CDs or stick with the convenience of the Node?

Edited by Martykt

I have purchased all my equipment based on the sound quality being the number one priority, luckily all have come with the lazy/convenient options, that being said I'm on a 5 hour listening session playing vinyl, tweaking here and there so I'm tired 

:D

• Like 1

I remember seeing an online article from a vintage audio magazine circa 1960 about the new-fangled record changers that were coming into vogue.  Many of these, like the Dual 1200 series, could take a small stack of LPs and automatically drop them onto the platter and play the first side of each, before they needed to be turned over.  The conclusion of the article was: "A man who is too tired to get out of his chair and change a record is too tired for life". 

2 minutes ago, gmdb said:

I remember seeing an online article from a vintage audio magazine circa 1960 about the new-fangled record changers that were coming into vogue.  Many of these, like the Dual 1200 series, could take a small stack of LPs and automatically drop them onto the platter and play the first side of each, before they needed to be turned over.  The conclusion of the article was: "A man who is too tired to get out of his chair and change a record is too tired for life". 

Thank you @gmdb, that quote is hilarious !! :D

2 minutes ago, Happy said:

I've always been lazy and I don't hear what a CD playback offers over streaming sonic wise :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boooooo !! :P 

Pass this man an extra cushion !!! :D 

• Like 1

Guest Eggcup The Daft

Last weekend I was happily streaming and using an iPad to search out new music to play. Except that I don't have the remote for my amp, so I had to get up and turn the volume knob every change of album.

Um, I can't even do lazy properly!

1 minute ago, awayward said:

People say I'm lazy, but doing nothing means a lot to me

I have to admit I am sunk into the couch while listening to music right at this second......

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Martykt said:

I have to admit I am sunk into the couch while listening to music right at this second......

Listening to music might appear to be doing nothing to some, but not us.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, awayward said:

Listening to music might appear to be doing nothing to some, but not us.

I can't condone dancing though....... it'd mean you might have to leave the sweet spot..... :unsure:

Toe tapping is perfectly acceptable however !!

• Like 4

i too was sunk in the couch too listening  on spotify to a long lost album i couldn't easily replace. just purchased some sonos speakers for the family room and kids bedrooms. I love my vinyl rig, but for access to music i do not have in my library this is amazing.

While not the last word in hi end,  it is  music and my wife and kids can access it too. My teenage son and his mates are hanging out in his room with the bass pumping:thumb:

Edited by LockedoutofCraigC

CD is the happy medium between vinyl and CA.

It offers just the right amount of interaction and sounds far better than any streaming system I have ever heard. I also do some vinyl, but won't ever do CA or streaming. You don't own anything with streaming.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CraigC said:

i too was sunk in the couch too listening  on spotify to a long lost album i couldn't easily replace. just purchased some sonos speakers for the family room and kids bedrooms. I love my vinyl rig, but for access to music i do not have in my library this is amazing.

While not the last word in hi end,  it is  music and my wife and kids can access it too. My teenage son and his makes are hanging out in his room with the bass pumping:thumb:

No question there is a place for streaming.

I myself used my laptop as a source at one stage when travelling with work in the form of a headfi system. :thumb:

Also I personally find CDs aesthetically not so pleasing whilst taking up so much room especially in my smallish unit. I don't need to own CDs it's not even like I actually own the copyright of the content lol. Happy with the mega sized streaming library where I can have daily new releases all sorted for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Nothing to do with laziness for me. I do not have remote volume or streaming, just a CD player and a volume knob.  

I do do however wish for some form where all my music is there like a giant iPod with no loss of sound quality. One song makes me think of another and the constant searching through my cds and swapping disks reduces my pleasure of listening, I am up and down like a yoyo instead of enjoying each song .

There is a limited number of full cds I wish to listen to and in our time poor lives I want to pack as much listening pleasure as possible into the time I get.

• Like 1

You don't need to own the copyright unless you are into unlawful duplication but IMO it is good to"own " your personal copy of the music. Streaming is very convenient and I can certainly see why some people prefer it, but it's quantity over quality and I don't need music in the kitchen or the bathroom. As much as I like music this anywhere-in-the-house thing is a bit much for me.

YMMV

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ooogh said:

Nothing to do with laziness for me. I do not have remote volume or streaming, just a CD player and a volume knob.  

I do do however wish for some form where all my music is there like a giant iPod with no loss of sound quality. One song makes me think of another and the constant searching through my cds and swapping disks reduces my pleasure of listening, I am up and down like a yoyo instead of enjoying each song .

There is a limited number of full cds I wish to listen to and in our time poor lives I want to pack as much listening pleasure as possible into the time I get.

It has been theorised that streaming rather than listening to CDs or Vinyl will kill off the album.

I reckon this would be a great loss, I think we get a greater appreciation for music by listening to the other tracks on the album as the musician is able to be a bit more artistic with their work than the hit single on the album.

• Like 1

Anyway, it's not laziness, it's modern technology ;)

today, I have to drive my car, 10 years from now, I might start reading books. 

Guest Eggcup The Daft
28 minutes ago, rantan said:

CD is the happy medium between vinyl and CA.

It offers just the right amount of interaction and sounds far better than any streaming system I have ever heard. I also do some vinyl, but won't ever do CA or streaming. You don't own anything with streaming.

I've just been listening to a couple of new MQA classical releases on Tidal at the computer. I'm not sure if I'm sold on MQA, the higher resolution, or a better master, or if I'm just in a good mood today, but given proper dynamic range recordings MQA is sounding better to me for low level detail - sometimes. I am enjoying finding new stuff, but will continue buying things I feel the need to, just as before.

8 minutes ago, Sime said:

Anyway, it's not laziness, it's modern technology ;)

today, I have to drive my car, 10 years from now, I might start reading books. 

Don't you mean E-books..... :P