Neil Young at Foodland

I was carrying my basket of groceries around Foodland this evening because I have grown old and dull. Instead of pizza and hard liquor for dinner I am banging up some vegetarian concoction.

Then over the instore infotainment speaker comes Neil Young.  Now I'm not talking some hillbilly Harvest track but the real deal make your guitar bleed 8 minutes of Like a Hurricane. I mean Neil gets that baby to sound like an electrical short circuit at one point. People kept loading strawberry pop-tarts and tinned tuna into their carts oblivious of this musical gem rocking out down the isles.  

Life has become very sad when music that had some grunt is being used to help flog crap to the general populace. Next thing I will be hearing "Killing in the Name of" at some sports store in the "self improvement " section.  So a word of warning to all you hip and happening youngsters, that  Avant Garde in your face rebellious ghetto track that you play flat out just to piss off the parents will be playing in the Big W one day.

• Like 5

There are some young folks that have had a good upbringing. My daughters favorite song from about age 3 was "down by the river" (a little dark for a three year old I know..). She turns 24 tomorrow and still loves that song...  

• Like 4

Most disappointing and misleading thread title. Was earnestly expecting to see photo of OP with Neil in the tinned corn aisle.  

RATM are pretty much a stadium rock band- nothing to see there. What could be more conservative and in line with the status quo than a bunch of white guys yelling 'f... you I won't do what you told me'?

What do you get at Aldi?

Cheese, organic coffee, butter, yoghurt, nappies and a large bag of pistachios. How bout you?[emoji4]

I think my aldi is silent apart from squeaking trollies?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TOPSHELF said:

Cheese, organic coffee, butter, yoghurt, nappies and a large bag of pistachios. How bout you?emoji4.png

I think my aldi is silent apart from squeaking trollies?

That squeaking noise is hip replacements 

Edited by keyse1
  • Like 3

Guest m_james
9 hours ago, MC240 said:

They had Neil's Everybody knows this nowhere the other day playing at Bunnings soon as I got home I had a couple of sharp bourbons and played the whole album

Weird song to play there - everybody knows bunnings are everywhere!

I heard 'Used to love her' by Guns n Roses playing over the shop music in Target the other day, whilst looking at a toaster. Was tapping the foot.

I made that up.

Edited by Darren69

My local Coles plays a single stereo channel through their mono PA system. Always a smirk when "Coles Radio" plays a mid period Beatles track. Will it be vocal only or an instrumental?

Though I must admit to pulling out the phone and using TrackID on something that has piqued my interest.

Edited by enikoy

NY would probably puke if he knew his music was oozing thru the supermarket.

Remember "This Notes For You" ?  - "Aint singing for Pepsi/Aint singing for Coke/Aint singing for no-one/Makes my music a joke"

No respect

I can find it really frustrating when I go to Bunnings or somewhere similar, and I'm in a hurry, actually find what I need quickly, and head towards the checkout and a song I love and not heard for years comes over the low-fi PA.  Darn it, it will make me run late!  Then the problem is slowly walking to the registers, avoiding the people talking, and finding deadspots in the store speaker placements. 

This is why bricks and mortar retailing is struggling against online services.  Retailers should really set up dedicated listening areas with high-end audio, luxury seating and complimentary beverages with an excellent analogue-based playlist. That would bring me in to their stores.  But do they ask me - no!  They would rather whinge and complain. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, MC240 said:

Well I wanted the 60 inch tv for 799 but just got some food for the dog if  you must know :P

Yeah, the Dog Bones are fantastic. 2 Bucks a packet and my staffies love them.

• Like 1

If I'm not mistaken, Woolies have been sourcing their background music via Pandora for the past year or so. I wonder if a commercial arrangement like that will disappear at the end of the month along with all of the personal accounts?

Personally, I knew I was getting old the day I heard ZZ Top's LaGrange playing in the supermarket.

• Like 2