Another full range driver cabinet

muznuts

the fact i know nothing about electronics kind of dictates that i stick to full range driver speakers, which is fine cause i think my amp matches them well, so heres another one im doing

i ended up getting some Jordan JX92 MkII 4" drivers (although they measure 6")

after some research on them i found a simple ported box design that is measured to be correct for the driver, by all reports they are a pretty good driver with decent bass

18mm birch ply with a double layer baffle, the bracing is rebated for extra strength also makes it much easier to assemble

im going to timber veneer and high gloss these i think

jx1.thumb.jpg.ae854bd547173fbde7979951897f6dd5.jpg

jx2.thumb.jpg.d24d4b5c4a0f9218d8515635eceaa3e8.jpg

jx3.thumb.jpg.4f6d987c7773ba5b77612fe98436f370.jpg

jx4.thumb.jpg.3b13fb206702aa63f33188764f818a87.jpg

• Like 7

@Gee Emm no not a kit, make everything from start to finish myself

possibly overkill but i reckon the stronger the better

im watching your current build with the TB 8" drivers are they the W8-1772?  i have had them as my main speakers for the last 2 years in a rear loaded horn design and love them, ive actually just finished a new pair

will be interested to hear your impressions of them in a conventional ported cabinet

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Gee Emm said:

@muznuts
Which machinery are you using to cut & rout your boxes?
Curious...

im very spoilt, i have a manufacturing business, flat bed CNC, spray booth, pretty much every tool i need

• Like 2

9 hours ago, muznuts said:

im very spoilt, i have a manufacturing business, flat bed CNC, spray booth, pretty much every tool i need

We have to take advantage of what we can, when we can ;)

How many passes on the CNC bed to get through the Ply? Is it marine ply or birch ply A/A grade?

What thickness?

Which finish will you go with?

12 hours ago, Gee Emm said:

We have to take advantage of what we can, when we can ;)

How many passes on the CNC bed to get through the Ply? Is it marine ply or birch ply A/A grade?

What thickness?

Which finish will you go with?

yep agree with that, everything here at my disposal so may as well use it

i cut 18mm ply in 2 passes fairly quickly, it will do it in 1 pass but slower, the bit is important, i use a 2 flute compression cutter, 12mm first pass then 6mm

i use Wisa Birch ply, normally BB/BB grade which has butterfly patches, some sheets have a lot some hardly any, if the patches are an issue there is a S/BB available which is perfect 1 side

as i said in the OP, im thinking of doing a timber veneer and gloss clear for this cabinet

• Like 1

18 hours ago, myskylab said:

so the photo`s ??? if there at home you must have some :thumb:@muznuts love the others you have for sale

these are not finished yet, i have another set ive just finished at home now, there is another DIY thread for them

a progress shot of these, waiting on some veneer pricing ATM

diy21.thumb.jpg.748fd9203673a0a9a27961140c106101.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, muznuts said:

these are not finished yet, i have another set ive just finished at home now, there is another DIY thread for them

a progress shot of these, waiting on some veneer pricing ATM

diy21.thumb.jpg.748fd9203673a0a9a27961140c106101.jpg

Nice, simple design well executed what veneer are you looking at

11 hours ago, myskylab said:

Nice, simple design well executed what veneer are you looking at

a product called TrueGrain, reconstituted timber veneer, recommended to suit speaker application

• 2 weeks later...

slowly but surely with these, little update

a learning curve for me and veneer...will definitely use a different type next time, this one was/is really fragile, getting edges and joins perfect is virtually impossible for a novice which is why there is a 'feature' line along the edges

first few coats of gloss clear done

diy1.thumb.JPG.68f0f44ffa56ee8996e1708d5ea36410.JPG

• Like 4

one finished, happy with it overall but its not perfect, should be able to get the next one better

definitely got the wrong advice for the veneer, i now have a sample of a product that will be much easier to work with and finish

jx7.thumb.jpg.260713fdd052808d503baa72f88a7fa0.jpg

jx8.thumb.jpg.f238c444f0d2142043de049c64a046f2.jpg

jx9.thumb.jpg.f6931aeefa393412f7d34ba59886aa7d.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Keith,

No not really, a few posts up i commented on how difficult the veneer was to work with and finish along the edge, so the gap was to disguise that, it actually looks quite good as ive used 2 colours of veneer, it separates them...

i have looked at your web site many times, i like the look of your open baffle speakers

have you always been on mid north coast?

20 minutes ago, muznuts said:

Hi Keith,

No not really, a few posts up i commented on how difficult the veneer was to work with and finish along the edge, so the gap was to disguise that, it actually looks quite good as ive used 2 colours of veneer, it separates them...

i have looked at your web site many times, i like the look of your open baffle speakers

have you always been on mid north coast?

Hi Murray,

No, I moved up here in January this year, but Wyndham Audio started down in Melbourne and my business partner, Dave, is still in the Wyndham shire, hence the name. We had nearly 18 years in Melbourne, but originally from Lake Macquarie and the Hunter.

Our open baffle speakers are actually not ours, but are a product from Pure Audio Projects out of Israel, but they are nonetheless very fine loudspeakers indeed. I thought you would have been more drawn to our single driver CH1s and CH2s, given your project in this thread. We have recently started to use pre veneered board in our builds, but prior to that, I did all the veneer application myself, so unfortunately or otherwise, I'm fairly familiar with the process.:D

If you think I can be of any assistance, drop me a PM here on StereoNET or just give me a call anytime, I'm only too happy to help if I can.

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by cheekyboy

6 minutes ago, betocool said:

Hi Murray,

so which one is the veneer you're using on your second attempt which sounds much easier to use?

Cheers,

Alberto

Hi Alberto,

sorry i probably wasnt clear before, i will be using the same veneer for the other speaker so they are a matching pair but there is a 'paper backed' veneer available that is much more stable that i will use next time

• Like 1