Apple TV or similar?

Hi All. I'm trying to set up a simple way for my mum to watch streaming services like Netflix etc. It's looking like an Apple TV(not sure which version) is the simplest option short of buying a new telly but are there any other solutions I could investigate? I bought her a chromecast so she could use her little ipad to cast but it's too fiddly for her. She's in her 80's and I suspect a direct descendant of the original Luddites. I'm not averse to buying  new or secondhand as long as it allows her to access Netflix, ABC iview, SBS on demand and You tube. Any others will be a bonus. Thanks for any advice.

Cheers, Legs11

Edited by legselevens

Guest rmpfyf
14 minutes ago, legselevens said:

Hi All. I'm trying to set up a simple way for my mum to watch streaming services like Netflix etc. It's looking like an Apple TV(not sure which version) is the simplest option short of buying a new telly but are there any other solutions I could investigate? I bought her a chromecast so she could use her little ipad to cast but it's too fiddly for her. She's in her 80's and I suspect a direct descendant of the original Luddites. I'm not averse to buying  new or secondhand as long as it allows her to access Netflix, ABC iview, SBS on demand and You tube. Any others will be a bonus. Thanks for any advice.

Cheers, Legs11

If she's about to update her internet to NBN - or is eligible - both Telstra and Optus bundle a device that does just that quite reliably.

Otherwise an Apple TV is going to be super easy for your mother to use, assuming the remote control is comfortable for her.

51 minutes ago, Texas_Legit said:

A Minix U9 is a good option if you're not an Apple person. Full Android play store access, kodi, 4K streaming... plus more!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Sorry I missed this post. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it.

16 hours ago, legselevens said:

Cheers, Legs11

legs the fetch mini is probably what want,

https://www.fetchtv.com.au/packages/mini

my dad is also 80 and uses for exactly all those things. he used to use a little apple tv but the mighty replaces this completely also adding live tv.

if you are on optus and depending on plan might even get one for free as we did with a fetch mighty.

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/entertainment/tv-movies/fetch-tv/set-top-boxes#!yes-tv-by-fetch-mini

the fetch mighty is a larger unit that also allows recording, pause rewinding tv etc like the old Tivohd but might be too much for what she wants and the little mini might just do

the fetch mini is sold in jb hifi harvey norman and such. harvey norman guys will give you a good demo if ask :)

30 minutes ago, legselevens said:

Does the fetch do YouTube? I can't see it on their site.

Took a picture of the Optus Fetch apps section 

YouTube is included 

Others suppliers may differ 

IMG_7309.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, legselevens said:

Thanks again for the replies. I'll look into the options but it has to be dead simple to navigate and ideally any issues she has after setup can be walked through over the phone.

1 hour ago, legselevens said:

Does the fetch do YouTube? I can't see it on their site.

Yes YouTube my dad uses Netflix as well dead easy

he uses more than we do :D

9 hours ago, legselevens said:

Thanks again for the replies. I'll look into the options but it has to be dead simple to navigate and ideally any issues she has after setup can be walked through over the phone.

The Apple TV 4 interface is dead simple with one gripe, there is no live TV so you have to switch between channels to get live TV. I absolutely love the simplicity of the SBS on Demand and iView apps though. It makes navigating that a breeze. If you like catch up TV like a lot of people, you soon realise how many amazing things were on SBS or on the ABC that you missed out on over the last few weeks due to weird program scheduling.  I haven't really seen anything much better than that for catch up TV. If you're more interested in Netflix then it wont mean as much.

Of course the other option is just to buy a smart TV instead.

Edited by Roumelio.
  • Like 1

A smart TV has apps as well 

However I hardly use it as my older Smart TV has a lag 

My TV system is

2TB hard drive with media that I have created or stored and play it at will

Apple TV 

Fetch TV 

We use Fetch the most as we also record programs on it to watch later 

Follwed by 2TB stored media 

Apple TV less since we got the Fetch 

A quick note 

You will need to program the Fetch remote 

And whenever you get stuck - press EXIT 

The Fetch remote app on iphone / iPad is not easy to use ( unless it's been updated recently  ) 

3 minutes ago, Full Range said:

Apple TV less since we got the Fetch

yes this is something we have noticed as well....

4 minutes ago, Full Range said:

A quick note 

You will need to program the Fetch remote 

And whenever you get stuck - press EXIT 

yes something i did for my dad. so he pretty much just uses the fetch remote for everyday tv as it can switch tv on off and does everything for viewing. 

the fetch always stays on. 

• Like 1

More useful info from the SNA brains trust. Much appreciated. Can I buy Fetch outright and not have to use any of the Fetch subscriber add ons? Is You Tube available? Some sources say it is but it's not listed on the Fetch website. It's strange they don't have a list of available channels and apps. Apart from their own subscriber content that is.

edit- You tube is listed on the Fetch website.

Edited by legselevens
edit

13 hours ago, Telecine said:

Get the Fetch TV. We have a Mighty and Mini. The ease of recording and Series link will be worthwhile for her I think. 

I have an old Beyonwiz I bought her but she rarely uses it. Much prefers sticking with the programmed times for some reason.

Another option may be an entry level NUC with wireless mouse and keyboard but I think the Fetch or Apple TV may be simpler.

5 hours ago, legselevens said:

I have an old Beyonwiz I bought her but she rarely uses it. Much prefers sticking with the programmed times for some reason.

Another option may be an entry level NUC with wireless mouse and keyboard but I think the Fetch or Apple TV may be simpler.

I think that she would find the Fetch Mighty more user friendly. The recording function might get more use as a result.

we came from tivoHD which was about as user friendly as came. and the fetch mighty we find very intuitive and does a heck of a lot more !  I simply wouldn't dream a pc and key board and mouse and what not is going to be more user friendly.certianly wont be anything like the fetch interface :)

• Like 1

I put an Xbox One S in the living recently courtesy of some good EOFY offers, added the $29 USB Tuner Dongle which adds a Live TV capability and my wife is finding it incredibly easy to use for TV, Netflix, Stan, TenPlay, Plex and others as well as it happily playing her DVDs and BluRay discs. It's a remarkably competent Media Centre and has the added benefit of occupying children with games when they visit...

... Add in the Xbox Smartglass capability (we're using it on Windows 10 and Android) that streams whatever is playing on the Xbox to another computer or Tablet and it's honestly hard to beat if you find one at the right price.

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk