Help needed - converting a 2.0 active stereo system with sub to 2.1

Hi all

I am currently running a 2.0 system for music comprising of a set of KEF LS50 Wireless speakers with a SVS SB-2000 connected to the KEF's sub out. I was thinking about connecting the TV to the set up for movie purposes and would love some advice on what may be the best/easiest/cheapest way to convert this to 2.1 system as the KEF's don't output a LFE signal to the sub.

Based on my limited knowledge and research online I think I need something along the lines of an AV receiver (e.g. Marantz NR1506 but this is pretty expensive...) and set everything up like TV > receiver > LS50W / SB-2000, using the receiver's L/R pre-out into the active speakers, running a speaker level sub out from the LS50W to the SB-2000 whilst also running another connection from the receiver's sub pre-out to the SB-2000's LFE input.

Pretty confusing but hope that makes sense - is this the best solution I can hope for? Is there any other device I can use to give me the LFE channel as I probably won't be using any of the other functionality offered by most AV receivers on the market (I mainly watch off Netflix or stream videos from my PC via Chromecast).

Thanks for your help!

Hi

You could run an Optical (Toslink) from the television into the optical input of the speakers, just switch the input when watching television. 

That should only be the cost of a reasonable Toslink cable.

There should be no need for a receiver in the  configuration if you only want 2.1

JJ

Edited by Janjuc

Thanks JJ - that's what I've been doing in the interim but my speaker's sub out is not a LFE signal (the sub only helps bolster the low end of the 2.0 signal) - fine for music but don't get that satisfying rumble when watching movies.

Is there anyway to get the LFE signal to the sub without a receiver?

28 minutes ago, eneri said:

Thanks JJ - that's what I've been doing in the interim but my speaker's sub out is not a LFE signal (the sub only helps bolster the low end of the 2.0 signal) - fine for music but don't get that satisfying rumble when watching movies.

Is there anyway to get the LFE signal to the sub without a receiver?

If this is the case then the TV is removing the .1 from 5.1 when down mixing to stereo (2.0).

If you use a source component that mixes 5.1 to 2.0 including the .1 channel and then send this to KEF's and the sub out to your sub then it will work. Just be cautious, your KEF's might then be playing the .1!

Which begs the question(s), do the KEF's allow filtering of the signal to be played by them? Do the KEF's allow filtering of the signal it sends out via the SUBWOOFER out? 

Edited by Satanica

My understanding based on people's comments online is that the KEFs have built in DAC, streaming pre-amp and amps which convert the signal automatically to 2.0. I could be wrong though, but the subwoofer out at the back of the KEF's will only carry a speaker level signal below whatever crossover frequency I select (e.g. 80hz).

19 hours ago, eneri said:

My understanding based on people's comments online is that the KEFs have built in DAC, streaming pre-amp and amps which convert the signal automatically to 2.0. I could be wrong though, but the subwoofer out at the back of the KEF's will only carry a speaker level signal below whatever crossover frequency I select (e.g. 80hz).

So you're saying that sending a digital 5/6/7.1 to them they'll convert it to 2.0 dropping/removing the .1? If this is the case then you need a source component that will convert/remix 5/6/7.1 to 2.0 including the .1 channel. I doubt that your TV will do this; I think it will not include the .1 channel. 

Then at the very least you will need some kind of surround sound processor in the loop it would seem. You would hook that up into the auxiliary input first and it would do all the communication thats needed instead.

Edited by Roumelio.

22 minutes ago, Roumelio. said:

Then at the very least you will need some kind of surround sound processor in the loop it would seem. You would hook that up into the auxiliary input first and it would do all the communication thats needed instead.

If you're referring to the TV, it needs to be known whether it can output Dolby Digital, DTS or mutilchannel PCM including the .1 channel.

With a source component that mixes all surround channels to 2.0 a surround processor is not needed. 

Edited by Satanica

3 minutes ago, Satanica said:

If you're referring to the TV, it needs to be known whether it can output Dolby Digital, DTS or mutilchannel PCM including the .1 channel.

You would still need some sort of source for surround sound you're right. I was getting to the fact that the speakers that were being used are automatically down converting and dropping the .1 channel in the process. But the TV as a source needs to be investigated also.

• Like 1